Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

full face masks
full face masks
Hello,  I've been using a cpap machine for about 4 months now. It's really making a difference. My problem is I've tried 2 full face masks, the AirFit f20 and just recently the AirTouch F20. No matter what I do to try and get a good no leak seal, it doesn't work. I make sure I change the mask type to full face. It's very frustrating to put the mask on and have air leaking all around the mask. On the AirFit F20 I first got a medium size and it didn't cover my mouth fully. They sent me a large mask but no dice. I hate to give up on the full face but it doesn't look good. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: full face masks
Have you tried the Dreamwear full face mask? I heard good things about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Larry
I use the airfit F20 and have found that over tightening the mask makes it more prone to leakage. I am not advocating the F20 just saying it has to be looser that you might think as the pressure seals the think silicone against your skin. Also I have found that if I used an unscented baby wipe on the silicone and my face right before going to bed helps with the seal.
Good luck on the mask challenge as it is a huge obstacle to cpap treatment.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found out that trying to get the mask fit just right is impossible. If I get a good mask fit and then go to sleep, my head moving around messes it all up. I'll try the baby wipe idea. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 08:54 AM)larryslade66 Wrote: I've found out that trying to get the mask fit just right is impossible. If I get a good mask fit and then go to sleep, my head moving around messes it all up. I'll try the baby wipe idea. Thanks for your help.

I use the AirTouch F20 and also found that the medium cushion is a little on the small side for me. The HME supplier is sending me a large to see if it works a little better. I have very few leaks and am even able to sleep on my side, which is most comfortable for me. As has already been stated, the mask does not need to be real tight. To adjust it, I put the mask on and loosened both the top and bottom straps till it started to leak. Then I tightened first the lower straps until  leaking stopped. If it starts leaking on my around my nose I gently tighten the top straps just until the leak stops. I haven't had to readjust my mask in well over a weak. 

When I was using nasal pillows they leaked constantly all night so that I was awake all night readjusting the mask. This, of course, defeated the purpose of the APAP. Hence I switched to a full face mask. I sleep all night now waking only rarely to use the bathroom.

I second using an unscented non-alcohol baby wipe on the mask and face right before going to bed. I buy them at Dollar General Store for $1.50 for 62 wipes. You can buy CPAP wipes from your DME/HME supplier but they are like $9.95 for the same number of wipes. The baby wipes do the same thing for less than 25% of the cost.

Bottom line, Keep trying different masks until you find the one that works best for you. I am not a fan of nasal pillows for me, and most FFMs don't work either, but I found the one that works great for me (after 6 years of trying) and swear by it. Other people don't like the FFM but swear by nasal pillows. Everyone is different. What works best for me may not work at all for you and vice versa. Just don't give up. The benefits of staying with it are great.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
I put on the new ffm and got it to where I thought it would be ok.  I turn on the mask fit on the machine and spent 10 minutes adjusting straps straps and nothing really worked. Air was pouring out everywhere. My clinician is going to set up an appointment to go and try on different masks. Hopefully I'll find one that works right. Thanks for replying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will suggest reviewing the Mask Primer.  There are several sections that talk about managing leaks and fitting masks.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on cpap for a little over 5 years now. The mask I used for the first 5 years was the Quattro FX. It worked okay, but I still had pretty high leak rates. I wasn't concerned because my AHI was low...not really understanding that my AHI was low because my leak rates were high.

With my new system I went with the AirTouch F20. It worked okay for the first couple of nights but soon turned into a leak factory. I'm guessing the memory foam wares out pretty quickly. The last time I wore it was because I was going to be traveling the next day and didn't want to wash my Dreamwear gel pillow...woke up in the morning with it pouring air out of the bottom of the mask. Checked my report on the system and had a leak rate of 120 L/min average...and an AHI of 5.6.

Since moving to the dreamwear pillow, I haven't had a night above 5 L/min and AHI above 3. In fact, most nights are at 0 L/min leak rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 03:26 PM)Snore of Thunder Wrote: With my new system I went with the AirTouch F20. It worked okay for the first couple of nights but soon turned into a leak factory. I'm guessing the memory foam wares out pretty quickly. The last time I wore it was because I was going to be traveling the next day and didn't want to wash my Dreamwear gel pillow...woke up in the morning with it pouring air out of the bottom of the mask. Checked my report on the system and had a leak rate of 120 L/min average...and an AHI of 5.6.

Since moving to the dreamwear pillow, I haven't had a night above 5 L/min and AHI above 3. In fact, most nights are at 0 L/min leak rate.

Honestly I don’t know why your leak rate was so high! I have been using the AirTouch F20 for three weeks now and my leak rate is extremely low. All masks have a built in leak rate through the vent to flush out the carbon dioxide that you breathe out. My leak rate averages about 2.8L/min which is just above what ResMed says it should be.

I love this mask. With every mask I had before it leaked like a sieve keeping me awake all night adjusting the mask. With the AirTouch, I have slept through the night every night since I started using it. 

Did you try a different size cushion with it? That leak rate just seems awfully high for that mask. ResMed claims that it will fit any size and shape of face, but we all know that is just sales hype, because no mask will fit everyone. If it did, that manufacturer would put everyone else out of business because there’d be no need for anything else.

Still, I am glad we both found what works for us. It took me almost six years to find the right mask but my old doctor swore by nasal pillows and chin straps even though I told him that they didn’t work for me. My new doctor was like, “no problem; we’ll keep trying till you find one you can live with.”
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be going to a medical supply facility and see what they can show me. The lady promises that I'll walk out with a full face mask that fits. Hope so. Thanks for the help everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.