Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

fullface mask for mouth breather
fullface mask for mouth breather
Hello

The Dme has given me a Dream wear full face mask to try. I am a mouth breather and my mouth opens up all the time and my jaw falls out of the mask.

Can anyone recommend a full face  mask for people who breathe thru there mouth?

Thanks for your help

Sudsy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: fullface mask for mouth breather
Mask is a personal thing and you must try to discover which works for you. You can try a chin strap to limit your mouth opening.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a die hard mouth breather. I started SA Therapy using a ResMed AirFit F20. I used that mask for quite a few months.

When the AirFit F30 came out, I gave that a try. It was fine for a while, then I started having air leakage issues with it. I had to go back to my trusty F20.

I'm also a side sleeper for the most part. That in itself poses a challenge in regards to keeping a mask properly positioned on your face. The F20 seems to be more robust and pretty much remains in place even when I'm on my side. 

The F20 is also very easy when it comes to cleaning and removing the pillow from the mask. The F30 was a real PITA when it came to taking it apart. 

Anyways, I don't see myself using anything other than the F20. I'm still going to mess around with my F30 from time to time, in an attempt to resolve the air leak problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
If only it were as simple as you imagine, Sudsy.  I have read numerous posts from people claiming they were still getting dry mouth and leaks due to their mouth-breathing under full- coverage masks.  What it boils down to, as bonjour suggests, is...experimentation.  The jaw must be kept within a narrow range or the seal simply won't work.  Does that mean a chin strap? Mebbe.  How about a cervical collar...the soft foam $20 ones available at medical supplies stores and many department stores, but also on-line.  Worn loosely so as not to render you feeling hot and bothered, mostly hot,...but also bothered  Too-funny .… they have helped many.  Or, to follow bonjour, sometimes it means abandoning what you're using and trying a different setup altogether, say a new mask.

Just so you now, I use a nasal mask, an N20, and I have to use a surgical tape strip across my lips in order to keep my own slack jaw from letting air out through the lips.  I hope it won't come to that for you...
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask history is limited in how many I've used, but for me full face gives quicker results to being leak free. I've started with an Amara View, a hybrid full face. I currently use a ResMed F20 in AirFit silicone. The F20 and AirTouch memory foam was tried but it didn't work out for me. I recently got the nasal mask N30i, but I've not resolved mouth leaks. I may need a soft cervical collar. I probably will not use a chin strap. I won't tape.

You have to find out yourself what works. Brand and model choices open your opportunities. Determine whether you want or need full face, nasal, pillows, or hybrid. Find out if silicone or memory foam, or other materials, works best. Various headgear designs may make a difference too. Don't forget, the size of that cushion and headgear can change whether or not it's a success.

Bottom line: a lot of variables, a lot of choices. But when you get this right, everything else in xPAP therapy starts working well. Or if you get it wrong, everything else xPAP falls apart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I mouth breath sometimes too. And I'm claustrophobic. I've tried 8 or so full face masks.

The first step I took that improved my treatment was to find this forum.
The second step was to find a DME that will work with me. I found mine by asking everyone i saw at work with strap marks on their face if they liked their supplier! Then I asked who they went to....

Please learn from my mistake. I waited too long to do this; I put up with a supplier who shouldn't be in the business. That supplier was co-owned by the hospital my sleep doc was in....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

So I took back the Dreamwear and the DME gave me an Airtight F20 to try and if that did not work I could try the Simplus full face mask.

My 95% pressure is 17.2.

Thanks everyone for the help. Thanks

Sudsy
Post Reply Post Reply
On my old machine I used a Quatro FX FFM which worked quite well. I am now using a ResMed F20 and have been very happy with it. I have a tendency to toss and turn at night and the F20 stays with me without any significant leakage.

As many have said, the choice of a mask is personal and one day you will finally find one that works. (and then they will stop making it). Oh, and your mileage may vary.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again

Well I have tried the Airtight  F20 med mask. I woke up this morning with a sore on the bridge of my nose. I did not think I had it too tight it felt good when I went to bed
but man is my nose sore. I don't think I had many leaks at all.

I went back to DME and she gave me a large F20 to try. Lets hope this one works good for me. She said I may have some leaks around bottom of mask because it is a larger mask.

Wish me luck

Thanks
Sudsy
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope it works for you. I have used S M and L cushions for my F20 due to weight fluctuations. It works very good, but I do notice it's need to be positioned in the right spot to seal. Just something to note.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 24 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 364 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.