Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

gasping
gasping
I have been using my machine all night long for the past 3 weeks.  The difference is incredible. I feel like my old self again. One of the biggest causes of severe onset insomnia for me is gasping as I'm falling asleep.  I have been upping the starting pressure slowly from the prescribed 5 to 7 (no titration study done) with no ramp. I have been able to reduce my Ambien from 10 mg to 4 mg, holding steady for a while before trying to continue weaning.

Last night was not good.  Gasping repeatedly as I'm falling asleep, finally fell asleep around 1, awake at 6.  Should I just keep upping the starting pressure?  Are there just bad nights to be expected?  I'll just throw it out there- my fear is that the therapy only worked for a few weeks and now has stopped.

I will be turning in my loaner next week and then have access to data from the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: gasping
Your machine produces a sleep report on-screen and the SD card. In the clinical menu, go to Essentials, and change from ON to PLUS. Now on the Sleep Report Menu, choose 1-day and look at the Total AHI, Total AI and Central AI and other data...were you having centrals? Tidal volume Vt okay?

Why are you increasing pressure?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No centrals for last night. I was increasing pressure because I had a few episodes of gasping in the past week and have started tilting my head back as im falling asleep on my side to stop that from happening. My average pressure for the week is 8.2 and it doesn't bother me to have higher pressure going to sleep so I figured to try just increase to the avg pressure.
I am also still waking approx every 2 hours. Easily falling back asleep within a minute.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done for hanging in there! I recall how hard it was for you to begin the journey, and you’re full throttle in next to no time!  Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your kind words. I was very anxious but it was like my body knew that I needed it to actually breathe, and I got accustomed quickly.

It's been such a long, hard journey of wondering what the hell was wrong for so long, I want the therapy to work every.single.night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2017, 02:07 PM)tarah Wrote: I have been using my machine all night long for the past 3 weeks.  The difference is incredible. I feel like my old self again. One of the biggest causes of severe onset insomnia for me is gasping as I'm falling asleep.  I have been upping the starting pressure slowly from the prescribed 5 to 7 (no titration study done) with no ramp. I have been able to reduce my Ambien from 10 mg to 4 mg, holding steady for a while before trying to continue weaning.

Last night was not good.  Gasping repeatedly as I'm falling asleep, finally fell asleep around 1, awake at 6.  Should I just keep upping the starting pressure?  Are there just bad nights to be expected?  I'll just throw it out there- my fear is that the therapy only worked for a few weeks and now has stopped.

I will be turning in my loaner next week and then have access to data from the machine.

It sounds like you’ve tried the most obvious things.  Starting on your side, not on your back and increasing the minimum pressures of the auto range as long as you can tolerate this and still fall asleep.  How high is your start pressure and can you increase it further?  Another thing that might help is to use a chin strap in conjunction with your nasal mask.  This will help to keep your mouth more fully closed and there may be a benefit to this.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, do you have any underlying medical conditions?  Is your heart strong?  Are you retaining water?
Post Reply Post Reply
Only other medical thing is no thyroid and i am on replacement hormone for that. No water retention that I know of. I'm an otherwise healthy, physically active 41 year old.

My current starting pressure is 8.  I will talk with the RT and doc at tomorrow's appt about continuing to increase pressure.  I'll also inquire about a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like a good plan.
There are many styles of chin straps available for about $7- to $20- on Amazon and elsewhere. If you get one from your DME, it my be covered by your insurance. Careful though. My DME handed me one and didn't mention there were multiple sizes. After struggling with getting it adjusted i realized it was just too big so i bought the same model on Amazon in the right size and that worked well. Getting the right size at least in my case was important. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Which chin strip do you recommend?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question Gasping for air as falling asleep with cpap Sleepyroshi 0 492 06-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleepyroshi
  Woke up gasping for air and heart racing, but OSCAR detects no events matty675 1 624 01-15-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  Snorting/Gasping myself awake with high heart rate DTBetter 2 1,099 05-18-2020, 10:57 AM
Last Post: DTBetter
Question Two days use-Wake up gasping for air jteetie 39 5,645 09-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Daytime gasping for breaths Livylou05 7 2,199 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Question about UARS and gasping tarah 7 1,526 11-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: tarah

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.