gear head related -- supercharger, etc. install coming
worn_out_in_lebanon Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

Sex: Male

gear head related -- supercharger, etc. install coming
I bought a '97 'vette two and a half years ago. The car before I had modded a lot. (a lot...) I said I was going to leave this car all stock. I made it two and a half years. Smile

So after doing a cost/benefit analysis of hp gained vs cost, I came up with a supercharger kit as the project to do. It would provide a big bump in hp and I wouldn't have to do anything else to the car. Just one project.

A short time later I decided to add a cam. It actually had a little better cost/hp ratio, and I "really needed" it for the s/c kit anyway...

A short while later I decided exhaust headers were needed too. And an intake. And with all that extra power I was going to need a bigger better radiator. And oil cooler.

And while I was going to be in there anyway, I should change the water pump, oil pump, timing chain, all hoses and belts, etc.

So the budget got stretched a little bit.

Most of the parts are here. Still waiting on the s/c kit. It is from a company called A&A and s/c kits for Corvettes is their specialty.

Going to tackle the job in phases:
Phase 1 - headers, and trans/diff bracing while the exhaust is off.
Phase 2 - cam, intake, misc parts.
Phase 3 - supercharger kit.
06-26-2015 06:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

RE: gear head related -- supercharger, etc. install coming
it's a monkey on the back.
I hope to live long enough to built a Locost 7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onK5_jGXQOo

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
06-26-2015 06:54 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I am so out of shape that I cannot do that kid of work now... But, I sure miss it.
Make sure the cam is compatible with a supercharged engine. IIRC, the overlap between exhaust valve closure and intake opening is different than for naturally aspirated.

Chevy has nice big valves, so air flow should be good.

Is the engine injected or carbureted? Can you richen the mixture?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-26-2015 07:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

I had to reduce the compression ratio when I installed a blower on a stock 312 cid Ford engine. I doubled up on the head gaskets (metal ones) to pull it off. It had 9:1 compression ratio as stock. I didn't test it without reducing the compression but I suspect it would have grenaded.
06-26-2015 08:57 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(06-26-2015 08:57 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I had to reduce the compression ratio when I installed a blower on a stock 312 cid Ford engine. I doubled up on the head gaskets (metal ones) to pull it off. It had 9:1 compression ratio as stock. I didn't test it without reducing the compression but I suspect it would have grenaded.

Now that goes back a ways. The 312 was the Y-block, fully skirted block. Lifters were mushroom shaped; and could only be installed from the bottom. I bet the supercharger was a McCollough; a centrifugal blower that pressurized the carburetor.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-26-2015 09:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Had a 94 thunderbird with a 4.6l. I dropped in a svt sc. Broke two transmissions. First one I snapped the intermediate shaft. Dropped in a '03 trans from a mustang. Had to rewire the harness but it didn't last long. I snapped the stator support on that one. Sold it for parts. Was fun while it lasted though.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
06-26-2015 09:25 PM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

(06-26-2015 09:21 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(06-26-2015 08:57 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I had to reduce the compression ratio when I installed a blower on a stock 312 cid Ford engine. I doubled up on the head gaskets (metal ones) to pull it off. It had 9:1 compression ratio as stock. I didn't test it without reducing the compression but I suspect it would have grenaded.

Now that goes back a ways. The 312 was the Y-block, fully skirted block. Lifters were mushroom shaped; and could only be installed from the bottom. I bet the supercharger was a McCollough; a centrifugal blower that pressurized the carburetor.

Yes, 'twas 1957 when I was young and foolish instead of old and foolish. McCullough it was, blowing into a self constructed carburetor enclosure. I learned very quickly that installing a blower on an engine is not a one step operation like you may be led to believe. Before it was over with, my hp/buck ratio left me with lots fewer bucks and less hp than I hoped for. It ran like a striped S orangutan but in short order burned a large hole in one of the pistons. Since the car was new, I had a time convincing the local Ford shop foreman that I was entitled to a warranty repair. Big Grin He reluctantly agreed but required me to leave all the after market equipment off. Sad
06-26-2015 09:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(06-26-2015 09:47 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  Yes, 'twas 1957 when I was young and foolish instead of old and foolish. McCullough it was, blowing into a self constructed carburetor enclosure. I learned very quickly that installing a blower on an engine is not a one step operation like you may be led to believe. Before it was over with, my hp/buck ratio left me with lots fewer bucks and less hp than I hoped for. It ran like a striped S orangutan but in short order burned a large hole in one of the pistons. Since the car was new, I had a time convincing the local Ford shop foreman that I was entitled to a warranty repair. Big Grin He reluctantly agreed but required me to leave all the after market equipment off. Sad

That's right, one had to pressurize the entire carburetor. Likely you had a Holley 4V with vacuum operated secondaries. I always drilled out the power valve channel restrictions with a wire drill in a pin vise to increase fuel flow by a 10% area change. The richer mixture is less likely to detonate; and provides cooling of the intake charge.

I don't recall if TRW made forged pistons for the Y block; but they might not have failed. I seem to recall my pistons were flat top with eyebrows. I tried the metal gaskets once; didn't have much luck with them. Of course the fact that two of the longer headbolts were slightly longer; and belonged 1st and last position didn't help when I put one in the center position.

Ford valves were always smaller than Chevy valves. When I rebuilt the 5.0L (302) in my '82 Mustang, I had Chevy 1.970 and 1.600 intake/exhaust valves put in with bronze guides.

Now I drive a stock 2005 Merc Grand Marquis. The thrill is gone.

06-27-2015 09:07 AM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Mongo, Obviously we've been down the same road. Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't the only one who attempted all these seemingly easy things to make an engine all it could be.

Some things aren't as easy as they might seem and when farming out custom construction projects, you'd best write very clearly, especially when giving dimensions. Would you believe the carb enclosure was too tall and wouldn't allow closing the hood all the way down? The rear opening hood that year really looked neat with it in the safety catch position.

Yes, the thrill is now gone since my current ride is a 2010 Fusion with a 153 cid (2.5 L.) with a massive 175 HP. @ 6K. Just think, in the 50's we were struggling to get 1HP/cu (considered radically souped) and now family cars exceed that easily.

Dude
06-27-2015 11:28 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
worn_out_in_lebanon Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

This setup is fuel injected. Stock injectors flow around 29 lb/hr, and the injectors in the kit flow around 70 lb/hr. I should be able to keep them at 80% duty cycle or less.

Aiming for around 550hp at the wheels. Trans and diff become weak links beyond that. On the 97+ years, the trans is in the back, with an independent rear susp bolted directly to the trans. (might be on the earlier years too, not familiar with those)

For now it will be on the stock block. On the last car I had forged pistons and rods, with much lower compression, probably too low at 8:1. Stock is 10:1, maybe a little more. I'll have to run a little less ignition advance than mbt, but should still make good power.

I have a tuning software package, Hp Tuners. I can modify the ignition timing and fuel maps, and a lot of other things. I'll be installing a 2-bar MAP sensor in place of the stock 1-bar, and modifying the os in the computer for that. So it will know how much boost it's seeing, and then I can place settings in the timing and fuel maps in the boost regions (compared to the stock os which doesn't have boost regions in those maps).

Another feature of the computer in these cars is that it knows the intake air temp. So as the boost rises and intake air temps climb, there is also a table to pull additional timing based on that. I'll be running an intercooler up front, but these cars are bottom breathers rather than front breathers, so they don't get a lot of airflow and what there is has to support the intercooler, the trans cooler, and the radiator.
06-28-2015 11:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 433 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Books I am reading on related subjects storywizard 2 407 07-22-2015 12:33 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Sorta pap related. Outgassing furniture Mark Douglas 14 1,253 06-03-2015 11:28 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  CPAP Related Incident in Jail Sparks Lawsuit Airstream 8 3,550 04-23-2014 06:29 PM
Last Post: Airstream