Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

germ filter and pressure increase question
germ filter and pressure increase question
I got another non heated hose for my Airsense 10 so that I could attach a germ filter to the machine rather than have it attached at the mask. It's coming up on pollen season and I want to see if this burlier filter will help with my allergies. anyway, I got a wheezing noise from either my mask or machine with the filter set up on the machine. Placing it back on a heated hose at my mask produced no issues, and hasn't in the nights that Iv'e used it this way. I'll try again just to see.

My sleep report from Resmed (I don't have Oscar) was excellent. I do notice that the flow of air is slightly diminished with this filter on, I believe. Not enough to make me feel like gasping or anything. But I wonder about whether a filter 

--might affect the readings off the machine
--might give me less robust therapy, even tho my report suggested everything was fine. 

I feel good this morning so my sleep seems to have been fine. 

I notice that with the filter attached I ahve to push the start button on the Airsense. It doesn't want to start up automatically in a reasonable time with the filter attached. without the filter it starts within seconds. this makes me wonder about the effect of the filter on the machine's ability to recognize events etc.

signed,
--overthinker
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: germ filter and pressure increase question
I see problems if this filter is on the output (patient/mask) side of the CPAP, especially if you're using the humidifier.  The porosity of this type of filter has to be very small, inviting clogging.  This would affect a reliable therapy pressure for one thing.  If you are using the humidifier, the additional moisture would collect on the filter material, thus occluding the pores and further restricting air flow.  You would be much better off is you constructed a prefilter assembly ahead of the intake port.  Creating a cube style filter assembly to allow for enough surface area so as not to restrict intake airflow would be the best option.  One side of the cube would be used to attach it to the CPAP.  This would allow for 5 sides to act an intake filter.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Merci, Monsieur Nape Rouge. Well, that sort of project is beyond my clumsy talents. By the way I realized that these are called 'bacterial filters'.

These filters are sold widely at Supplier #1 and elsewhere, so I assumed they were kosher. But what you say makes sense. I hope others chime in.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband gets his CPAP and supplies through the VA They supply him with a supposedly better filter:
S9/AIR10 FILTER, HYPO, 50 pack, catalog number 36858. It doesn't look or feel any different than what I get for my Airsense 10. There is a setting for filters in the options--one is AB which we have set on his--I use the regular setting on mine. I don't know if it works any better or not..... It is an authentic ResMed product.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I am perhaps not the brightest bulb in the christmas tree. The last post made me look in my supply stash and sure enough, there was a package of hypoallergenic filters for the Airsense. the thing is, I've been getting my supplies from Kaiser's in house supplier, and they send me a different type of filter. so now I have the better ones, hopefully, installed before my humidifier tank.

I can'[t help but think the bacteria filter would be better at filtering allergens tho. It is advertised for that purpose.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bacterial filters are hydrophobic membrane filters and will have more resistance to flow than other types of filters. Also, because they are hydrophobic they can be completely blocked by moisture. They will definitely stop allergens.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The filters are at the far end of the machine from the humidifier tank! Good luck in avoiding the bad stuff!
Post Reply Post Reply
I contacted my dme. He said that "the bacteria filter should not effect readings but it will lessen pressure and possibly delay response to events. And it will make the machine work a bit harder". All that seems reasonable.

Now I think the best answer is to suck it up and run my somewhat noisy hepa filter all night in my bedroom. That should achieve the same end. Or actually, jsut running it before sleep and shutting down the room should work.

By the way: I got allergy screens for my windows. for fellow sufferers--and fellowettes!--these seem a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had no idea that such a thing existed. Allergy screens for windows.  Huh

Never seen one or even heard of one until now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2021, 04:33 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I had no idea that such a thing existed. Allergy screens for windows.  Huh

Never seen one or even heard of one until now.

That's nothing. I use an antivirus for my Windows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 89 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 843 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 119 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 156 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,272 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 434 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 406 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.