Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

getting machine tomorrow..tips/suggestion?
Wink 
getting machine tomorrow..tips/suggestion?
Yeah...I'm still here. Still not thrilled..lol...

But what choice do I have? Smile

The sleep study with the mask and gear was horrific. The tech gave me a too small mask, "because they ran out of mediums." I tried two different masks, because the valves (?) on the one kept banging shut and waking me up. She had the pressure cranked up so high it hurt. She was mad I wouldn't take a sleeping pill. I would have been bombed for the next 12 hours. I never take sleeping pills.

It was like a bad Keystone Cops movie.

I guess I gorped out long enough for them to get some data. This was in late January.

The script gets faxes off 2/20. Nothing from DME. I call the clinic, who gave me the DME number and it sounded like a clown car there. No one knew nothing, their computer had crashed..20 excuses later..me too bad so sad, get another script.

Called the clinic AGAIN, told them I wanted a different DME.

So today, I get a call from an actual person who has a brain, and doesn't sound 15.

They will be giving me a REMstar Plus 260 (guess it has a heated humidifier-I hated the humidifier during the study, made them shut it off). No clue on the mask.

Are there things I should ask for before I leave with the mask/machine? Is there something you wish you would have done before saying good bye with the gear?

I'm going to have a hard enough time getting used to the set up, let alone fighting with it.

Thank so much for reading this. I have been lurking, but had nothing really to post. I feel like trash most of the time. TIRED! Here's homing to feeling better.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: getting machine tomorrow..tips/suggestion?
-Get a copy of the prescription. It is YOUR prescription, not theirs.
-Check the hours of use on the machine -have them show you. If you are paying for new, make sure it is new out of the box. (someone else on here had "not-new" hours logged onto their "new" machine).
-Get written agreements on warranty, servicing, etc.
-A SD card should come with it from the DME.
-Don't buy "replacement parts" for mask yet. Unless you are truely happy with your mask and love it dearly. You may want to try other masks out there, since you are a new Papper. (My DME did not even tell me about the P10, which I'm trying and liking)
-Ask about what they provide for free support since you are getting this stuff from them. Consultation? Pressure adjustments (you are here so not likely).
-Who sends in the paperwork/forms for the umpteen agencies that need it?
-Do you have to provide data to them/someone for compliance reporting reasons (medicare requirement??)
-I declined the DME "monitoring service" of $30/month. It was an upsell.

Those are things in my head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 09:51 AM)Tawaki Wrote: Yeah...I'm still here. Still not thrilled..lol...

The sleep study with the mask and gear was horrific. The tech gave me a too small mask, "because they ran out of mediums." I tried two different masks, because the valves (?) on the one kept banging shut and waking me up. She had the pressure cranked up so high it hurt. She was mad I wouldn't take a sleeping pill. I would have been bombed for the next 12 hours. I never take sleeping pills.

I guess I gorped out long enough for them to get some data. This was in late January.

The script gets faxes off 2/20. Nothing from DME. I call the clinic, who gave me the DME number and it sounded like a clown car there. No one knew nothing, their computer had crashed..20 excuses later..me too bad so sad, get another script.

So today, I get a call from an actual person who has a brain, and doesn't sound 15.

They will be giving me a REMstar Plus 260 (guess it has a heated humidifier-I hated the humidifier during the study, made them shut it off). No clue on the mask.

Are there things I should ask for before I leave with the mask/machine? Is there something you wish you would have done before saying good bye with the gear?

I'm going to have a hard enough time getting used to the set up, let alone fighting with it.

Thank so much for reading this. I have been lurking, but had nothing really to post. I feel like trash most of the time. TIRED! Here's homing to feeling better.

Hi Tawaki,
Talk to your Doctor/sleep clinic about the machine they are offering. I'm not sure what machine that is or if it is a new model. Ask for a "new" fully data capable machine Auto CPAP with an SD card. Also get a heated humifier with heated hose. You may think you won't need or like it, but as time goes on, you may change your mind. Some DME's will try to give you an older machine. Also check with your insurance coverage so there are no surprises.
Ask if your mask can be exchanged within 30 days if you don't like it.
Always ask for a copy of your sleep report and a copy of your Script.
Let us know how it goes.
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 260 is not the cheapest Remstar, but it's pretty close. It's certainly not an "auto-titrating" machine. If you're covered by insurance then your insurance company will be doing a happy dance. If you're paying out of pocket then you need to look at some options. The 560 is a better choice for a fully featured machine. I would re-evaluate your decision about not using a humidifier.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tawaki,
You really need to get a fully data-capable machine, a heated hose & the humidifier. I know you don't like the humidifier, but sometimes things change and you just need one.
For lots of helpful information, check out this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Good luck to you when you get your machine and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The Remstar HS260 is a brick. DECLINE IT!

You want the model 460 for a fixed CPAP or the 560 Auto CPAP. Especially with higher pressures or a botched titration, an Auto will be much easier to use to fine the optimum pressure.

Decline the 260, and if a different offer is not made, change DMEs
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 09:51 AM)Tawaki Wrote: They will be giving me a REMstar Plus 260 (guess it has a heated humidifier-I hated the humidifier during the study, made them shut it off). No clue on the mask.

!!!DO!!!
!!!NOT!!!!
!!!ACCEPT!!!
!!!A!!!
!!!REMSTAR PLUS 260!!!
!!!CPAP!!!

Cancel the appointment. Find out which DME's are in network for your insurance. Get a copy of your prescription and call up the alternative DME's and tell them they can have your business if they give you the right machine.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to drop ClownCar Respiratory anyway. Remember, YOU get to choose your DME, just like you get to choose your pharmacy.

A 260 machine records no useful therapy data, just the hours on and off, because that's what it takes to get insurance to pay. A proper CPAP machine will record your breathing and tell whether you're still having apnea. It's like a mini sleep test every night. You can check your own data to monitor your own therapy.

Check the useful links in my signature line at the bottom of this post. You can fight the medical mafia and improve your chances of getting a good CPAP machine.

In my opinion, using a REMstar Plus 260 is like treating diabetes without checking your blood sugar at home.

This is important. Neither your nor your doctor can properly manage your CPAP therapy with a 260 machine. If the therapy doesn't work, the only way you can figure out what's wrong is to have another sleep test. A 460 or better machine will record data that will let you figure out most problems.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a discussion on the types of data you can get with a better CPAP machine. You don't need to understand it all at first, but it's there if you need it.

BTW, insurance will usually pay the same amount for ANY CPAP machine, so a fully data capable CPAP machine will cost you no more out of pocket than a dataless brick CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 09:51 AM)Tawaki Wrote: Yeah...I'm still here. Still not thrilled..lol...

First of all, I would write a letter addressed to the physician complaining about the sleep study. They are paid handsomely for them ($2500 to $2800.00 USD per study) so I would demand that they repeat it with the right gear! You would not buy a Mercedes and have it repaired with parts for a Smart car. In this case, you are the Mercedes and you need to make sure that you get the right parts for the diagnosis and subsequent repair.

Good luck! And even when diagnosed, insist on an Autosetting machine so you do not have to change machines if your apnea condition needs change.

Best of luck to you.

Post Reply Post Reply
dittos on all the above. shame on them for trying to give you a data-less model.
QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 32 987 03-15-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,225 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 287 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,436 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 646 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,276 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] New User - Settings Suggestion - Disturbed Sleep ralphm123 3 319 11-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.