Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

getting more starting air, Dreamstation Auto
getting more starting air, Dreamstation Auto
Hello,

I just got my first CPAP machine four days ago, and see a quite marvellous benefit to my overall energy and mental energy.  It's the Dreamstation Auto Flex with nasal pillows.  I have had almost zero problems with using it really, it's comfortable  - even the chin strap to keep my mouth closed.  However for some reason the provider has disabled the flex feature, and set my flow rate from 4.0 to 20.0.  I can't adjust the current flow or the ramp speed, as they disabled that also.

They're supposed to call me after five days of use, and I'll ask about all that.  I hope I don't get some kind of flak about wanting to up the starting flow rate, or decreasing the ramp time.  Can anyone here confirm whether they can adjust those things remotely?

The 4.0 flow rate is just barely adequate, and I have to breathe deeply at that rate, which isn't really a rate that seems conducive to falling asleep.  When the flow rate gets up to about 7-9 I can breathe a lot easier, but I haven't been able to predict when the machine will adjust to that.  Sometimes it stays at 4.0 for what seems forever.  I even tried faking like I wasn't breathing, to see if I could get the machine to adjust to a higher rate.  But that also is not conducive to going to sleep!

Thanks for any help or advice.

[later] Well, looking around the board I found this section: Clinician Setup Menu Instructions

So I guess I can make the changes I asked about myself!  This is a great board, can't believe I found it so quickly.

Thanks to the board provider and all the helpful members.  I've read may threads already and learned a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: getting more starting air, Dreamstation Auto
Do they have you locked out with a password? If not you can enter into the clinic settings by holding the big knob and ramp buttons in for 5 seconds. Once there you can adjust as needed.

If they locked you out I'd call them and tell them to remove the password or you'll return the machine and go to another provider.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  There was no password, so I was able to set my start flow rate at 8.0  That's awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good result, give that man a chocolate medal Wink
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
gwgardner,
               Welcome to the ApneaBoard Forum.   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Way to go!!!!

BTW you may want to make your own password for your machine, so that your DME/dr can't change your settings without your permission.

And to answer some of your original questions...

- Yes, they can change your settings remotely (via the cellular modem you may have plugged into your machine). I yanked the modem, and will throw it away once insurance has paid off my machine.

- You're right to wonder if your doctor will be willing to adjust your settings. My doctor was completely unwilling due to my treated AHI being low enough for insurance to pay him. Since my treated AHI was acceptable, he was unwilling to hear my concern that I couldn't breathe at such a low pressure. That's when I took things into my own hands (as you have done).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gwgardner!

Welcome to the forum .

With that positive attitude you should have a successfull therapy. 

Good luck !

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2018, 01:41 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Way to go!!!!

BTW you may want to make your own password for your machine, so that your DME/dr can't change your settings without your permission.

And to answer some of your original questions...

- Yes, they can change your settings remotely (via the cellular modem you may have plugged into your machine).  I yanked the modem, and will throw it away once insurance has paid off my machine.

- You're right to wonder if your doctor will be willing to adjust your settings. My doctor was completely unwilling due to my treated AHI being low enough for insurance to pay him.  Since my treated AHI was acceptable, he was unwilling to hear my concern that I couldn't breathe at such a low pressure.  That's when I took things into my own hands (as you have done).

That is a disgusting attitude for any doctor to take.

As for gwgardner's doctor leaving the starting pressure at 4 is just being lazy and not doing his jog very well.
I think in the USA it is just about getting the money off the insurance companies!  Patient appears to come second or maybe 3rd after their ego's!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2018, 10:48 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 01:41 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: - You're right to wonder if your doctor will be willing to adjust your settings. My doctor was completely unwilling due to my treated AHI being low enough for insurance to pay him.  Since my treated AHI was acceptable, he was unwilling to hear my concern that I couldn't breathe at such a low pressure.  That's when I took things into my own hands (as you have done).

That is a disgusting attitude for any doctor to take.

As for gwgardner's doctor leaving the starting pressure at 4 is just being lazy and not doing his jog very well.
I think in the USA it is just about getting the money off the insurance companies!  Patient appears to come second or maybe 3rd after their ego's!

I totally agree. 

He was equally unwilling to make other tweaks I needed, such as Rx-ing a heated tube (due to severe rainout I was experiencing).  His attitude was haughty and condescending. 

I was thoroughly insulted.  I received the message very clearly: I mattered not in the equation.  

So I gave him back the machine, fired him, left a gnarly (but completely honest and unemotional) review on Yelp, and took my business (because that's what it is) elsewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 475 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 401 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.