Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

getting rid of air in my mouth
RE: getting rid of air in my mouth
Quick answer is keep it on this thread. Easier to follow on one thread than having it fragmented into multiple areas.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, please post in the same thread. This provides continuity of your therapy.  

Now, your charts;  You are experiencing a high level of flow limitations.  This is triggering your A10 to go to its maximum set pressure.  I would first try turning on your EPR to full time and set it to 3.  I'd leave your pressure setting alone until seeing a night's data with the EPR.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2019, 01:56 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Now, your charts;  You are experiencing a high level of flow limitations.  This is triggering your A10 to go to its maximum set pressure.  I would first try turning on your EPR to full time and set it to 3.  I'd leave your pressure setting alone until seeing a night's data with the EPR.

If the pressure is fixed which it is now, wouldn't the pressure automatically always go to 15?
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct. I was looking at the Pressure listed in the Statistics and used the Min and Max values instead of reading the top part. I went back and quickly read through your thread. I didn't see why you weren't using your machine's full capability. Your events look like they are positional. You may still wish to explore using an auto range of 10 to 15 with no ramp, along with the EPR set to 3. My thinking is, this will reduce your flow limitations and increase your tidal volume,
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the Somnifix tape and find it works much better than standard micropore tape. The tiny slot in the center makes a big difference, and the adhesive is easier on my skin. You do have to be very careful about rolling your lips inward a bit, and aligning the slot according to the directions for the best result.  Chin straps and soft collars are worthless to me, as my lips simply blow open regardless. I’ve been on CPAP for over 20 years, and have never been able to wear a full face mask that didn’t leak in one or more body positions, so I have the best results with nasal pillows. I recently switched to the ResMed N30i nasal mask and I love it!  Keep experimenting with different equipment and you’ll find the perfect one for you. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2019, 05:17 PM)OperaSinger Wrote: I’ve been on CPAP for over 20 years, and have never been able to wear a full face mask that didn’t leak in one or more body positions, so

Mask technology has come a long way, even in the last few years. My F&P Simplus has a large amount of flexibility built into the cushion, and it comes in 3 sizes. Of course, what works for me probably won't work for you as masks vary a lot, but it's just an example. You may be able to find something that works for you that's relatively new.

All of that cheek-puffing might be interfering with your sleep.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input. I am posting last nights data. Didn't have a good night. I think about the time you see the CSR event, I realized I had my mouth open and I was trying to press my tongue to the roof of my mouth to see if I could make that work. At least I hope that's the reason.

My MO before CPAP was getting up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom. I am getting some almost 3 hour chunks now but still getting up too much.

I am going to wait to use the mouth tape (somnifix) so that my tech gets some consistent data from the last pressure change for  14 to 15 which does not seem to have made much of a difference.

Crimson Nape: I will mention your suggestion and would appreciate any other thoughts from this forum.

Thx
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 09:53 AM)howeyb Wrote: My MO before CPAP was getting up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom. I am getting some almost 3 hour chunks now but still getting up too much.

With patience it will get better.

Quote:I am going to wait to use the mouth tape (somnifix) so that my tech gets some consistent data from the last pressure change for 14 to 15 which does not seem to have made much of a difference.

I still don't understand why you would use tape when you're wearing a full face mask.

Quote:Crimson Nape: I will mention your suggestion and would appreciate any other thoughts from this forum.

I agree with his advice. Your machine is capable of auto-adjusting the pressure and you are not taking advantage of that capability.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 12:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
Quote:I am going to wait to use the mouth tape (somnifix) so that my tech gets some consistent data from the last pressure change for 14 to 15 which does not seem to have made much of a difference.

I still don't understand why you would use tape when you're wearing a full face mask.

Quote:Crimson Nape: I will mention your suggestion and would appreciate any other thoughts from this forum.

I agree with his advice. Your machine is capable of auto-adjusting the pressure and you are not taking advantage of that capability.

Thanks...my reasoning for trying tape is that I've read that nose breathing is healthier and even with the humidifier, my mouth gets dry. I might be nice to go back to just a nasal mask in the future although I am pretty happy with the full dreamwear mask I am now using.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2019, 03:34 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: You are correct.  I was looking at the Pressure listed in the Statistics and used the Min and Max values instead of reading the top part.  I went back and quickly read through your thread.  I didn't see why you weren't using your machine's full capability. Your events look like they are positional. You may still wish to explore using an auto range of 10 to 15 with no ramp, along with the EPR set to 3.    My thinking is, this will reduce your flow limitations and increase your tidal volume,

It think you are right about my events looking positional. Since I started to use a soft cervical collar on Aug12, my AHIs are down significantly even after I decreased the CONSTANT pressure that the respiratory technologist set at 10/15 (min/max, 45 min ramp) down to 4 /8min/max (aug19) and now 4/4.4 min/max (last night)! (without her permission I'm afraid but I am away on vacation and the next appointment is supposed to be to BUY the machine. MAYBE I DON'T HAVE TO! That is what I am hoping. Not sure what to do. I am thinking of buying a blue tooth enabled oximeter and renting the machine another month ($200) and keeping track of all the data.
Is 4.4 still a therapeutic pressure level? (I didn't put it all the way down to 4 because she had a 45 minute ramp of 4 and I wasn't sure if I could keep the max pressure at 4 too.

I have added 5 oscar images that include before cervical collar and after and will also post a summary graph image in the next reply.
I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed. I didn't want to play with her settings too much so I just reduced the min max constant pressures and didn't use the auto range...I think I can figure out how to do that though if you think I should.

It's going to be a tricky next meeting with the technologist.

(08-20-2019, 11:34 AM)howeyb Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 03:34 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: You are correct.  I was looking at the Pressure listed in the Statistics and used the Min and Max values instead of reading the top part.  I went back and quickly read through your thread.  I didn't see why you weren't using your machine's full capability. Your events look like they are positional. You may still wish to explore using an auto range of 10 to 15 with no ramp, along with the EPR set to 3.    My thinking is, this will reduce your flow limitations and increase your tidal volume,

I have added 5 oscar images that include before cervical collar and after and will also post a summary graph image in the next reply.

Here is some summary data graphs that I thought might be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.