Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

going from nasal pillows to nasal mask
going from nasal pillows to nasal mask
Hoping this will not be too difficult of an adjustment. I was having too many leaks with the nasal pillows. My leaks were low....20-22, but enough that it kept waking me up. Also the pillows started to deteriorate after about 2 to 3 weeks. I have no insurance coverage, so at $40.00 each, it was a bit much. Today I purchased the Phillips Respironics True Blue. Hoping it does the trick. I move around all night, so maybe this will work better. Sure hoping so as it cost $275.00. at least with this one, I can replace just the gel bed, as needed. I have the S9 Resmed Elite machine...and am thinking I have to reset from pillows to nasal mask, so will check that out. Excited to try it out tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: going from nasal pillows to nasal mask
deleted
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2012, 01:40 PM)big_dave Wrote: deleted

Sorry Big Dave...I don't understand why my post was deleted?? Did I do something wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I did. I deleted my own response, not your post. I sent you a PM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhhh...not too puter literate here. Thanks for your reply Dave.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kitley, I hope the new mask works better for you, good luck and I know you have been on the forum for a while, but, beter late than never but, Welcome! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you have been having problems with those nasal pillows. I hope the nasal mask works out for you. While I went from a nasal mask to nasal pillows, I really did like the nasal mask. I just couldn't tolerate the pressure on the rather narrow bridge of my nose. Without tightening the mask, I had significant leaks. I had a Mirage FX Nasal Mask, not the one you purchased. Perhaps one like yours would have been better for me, but was advised to try the pillows, which have worked out fine for me, so far. Still, a nasal mask probably has advantages for those occasions when you get bad colds. Let us know how your mask works out for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kitley - Its a good idea to try masks before buying them so you can be sure of the size and the fit. Some DME and on-line suppliers allow you to try out masks at home and return them within 30 days if didn't work for you till you find one that meet your needs. A chinstrap can help if you find yourself mouth breathing. I've only used Resmed masks such as SoftGel and Activa LT nasal masks. different cushions sizes of both masks fit on the same mask frame. Being side and active sleeper the Activa LT works best for me but mask choice is a very personal - whats works for me might be pain to somebody else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2012, 01:11 PM)kitley Wrote: Hoping this will not be too difficult of an adjustment. I was having too many leaks with the nasal pillows. My leaks were low....20-22, but enough that it kept waking me up. Also the pillows started to deteriorate after about 2 to 3 weeks. I have no insurance coverage, so at $40.00 each, it was a bit much. Today I purchased the Phillips Respironics True Blue. Hoping it does the trick. I move around all night, so maybe this will work better. Sure hoping so as it cost $275.00. at least with this one, I can replace just the gel bed, as needed. I have the S9 Resmed Elite machine...and am thinking I have to reset from pillows to nasal mask, so will check that out. Excited to try it out tonight!

$275.00!!!! Yikes! You must be in Australia, right? I assume that because if you check the supplier list on this board (link at the top of the page) you will find that it is available for close to a third that in the U.S.

As for nasal pillows vs. nasal mask, after trying three different nasal pillow masks I recently switched to a nasal mask. I have far fewer leaks and things seem to be going better. But I can't stand things in front of my eyes, so I bought the Mirage Vista. If you have any kind of claustrophobic reaction to masks then I can say that the worst nasal pillow mask is better than the best nasal mask. But I roll from one side to the other during the night, and every time I rolled over the pillows would come out. I tried every size pillow and adjusted the straps this way and that for over two months before giving up.

Good luck with your new mask and be sure to post back how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2012, 03:24 PM)JJJ Wrote: [quote='kitley' pid='14450' dateline='1342116694']
.....As for nasal pillows vs. nasal mask, after trying three different nasal pillow masks I recently switched to a nasal mask. I have far fewer leaks and things seem to be going better. But I can't stand things in front of my eyes, so I bought the Mirage Vista. If you have any kind of claustrophobic reaction to masks then I can say that the worst nasal pillow mask is better than the best nasal mask. But I roll from one side to the other during the night, and every time I rolled over the pillows would come out. I tried every size pillow and adjusted the straps this way and that for over two months before giving up.

Good luck with your new mask and be sure to post back how it goes.

I had the same problem with my nasal pillows coming out, until I added a chin strap. The chin strap wraps over the nasal pillow straps keeping them in place. Not only that, but the nasal straps can be kept a bit loose so that the pillows are more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.