Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I have actual Flow Limitations based on the OSCAR Reports?
Do I have actual Flow Limitations based on the OSCAR Reports?
Hi. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2006 and up until December 2019 I used a Respironics RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex or a dental device, depending on whether I was congested. I've had Centrals, Obstructive Apneas. Without any PAP machine my apneas are 30 according to a home test in the summer of 2019. I am 68 years old. Starting December 2019 I was prescribed various devices including ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto, ST, ST-A and a Dreamstation ASV. My apneas remained well above 5 AHI and I continued to have central apneas with all those devices. Finally at the end of December 2020 I received a ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV and my AHIs have been below 5 fairly consistently. One night it was even < 1. However, I sometimes still feel drowsy in the afternoon and do not feel refreshed in the morning (I don't think I have ever felt refreshed in the morning). Do I need to give it more time or is my problem Flow Limitation? I do feel noticeably better when I sleep 9 or 10 hours, even with Flow Limitations on OSCAR. Here are a couple recent OSCAR results. Thank you, Feelrefreshed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I have actual Flow Limitations based on the OSCAR Reports?
You have a number of flow limitations indicated on your Oscar chart, however ASV presents a special case.  Your ASV is currently setup at default settings and we can probably improve your results a bit, but let's explain the flow limitations first.  With ASV, the respiration volume and rate are maintained by a combination of spontaneous effort and the machine's use of pressure support to supplement missing or low-volume breaths.  When pressure support replaces spontaneous effort, that really means your lungs are being inflated by the positive air pressure from your ASV. This typically results in an inspiratory wave form that is flattened rather than a rounded form that is typical with spontaneous inspiration and a lack of inspiratory flow resistance.  The flattening occurs because as your lungs inflate, resistance to inflation increases in a way ASV cannot overcome, so the flow rate slows down.  If you look at the flow rate chart in a zoomed view where you can see individual breaths, and place the mask pressure and flow limit charts under it, you will see very clearly, that when you breathe spontaneously and pressure support is low, the respiratory wave will look normal. When the machine is supplying pressure support, you will see increasing flow limitation with increasing pressure support.  This is normal on ASV, and we don't try to change it.

Your machine is setup at default values and my recommendation is to simply increase the EPAP min to 5.0 to clean up some of the hypopnea. This suggestion is consistent with the titration protocol recommended for your machine, and I'm sure your doctor would agree if you prefer to ask him or her about this change. See the decision tree below under "Obstructive events eliminated?"  For hypopnea increase EPAP by 1-cm.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much! I just sent a donation - you all are amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Feelrefreshed, the donation is greatly appreciated. This site relies on donations to pay for the servers that allow us to help members, and without support from the membership, that would not be possible. We all volunteer our time and enjoy working with members, new and old. Again, Thank you very much.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 493 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.