Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

grizwilson - Therapy Thread
RE: grizwilson - Therapy Thread
I quit
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, your therapy works with a very low event rate, but you don't sleep well. I hope you find the rest you want with another alternative.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 08:59 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, your therapy works with a very low event rate, but you don't sleep well.  I hope you find the rest you want with another alternative.
Thank You Sleeprider, I am perplexed of what to do next.  As we have discussed I was considering Inspire, but the risks, long period of establishing treatment, numerous doctor visits, and hope of improvements in the pipeline have me stepping back.  No idea where to turn next.  Open to ideas and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered, or tried fixed pressure? I know it's just another variation of your CPAP therapy, but you might be surprised that it can make a big difference for some of our members that experienced disrupted sleep with auto-variable pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 09:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Have you considered, or tried fixed pressure?  I know it's just another variation of your CPAP therapy, but you might be surprised that it can make a big difference for some of our members that experienced disrupted sleep with auto-variable pressure.

Again, thanks for the idea.  Several years ago they had me on 14.0 fixed, was not able to use the cpap, they loaned me an auto set  (S8 advantage) to try and get a better pressure, I refused to return the unit, sent them a check for $600 (2004) . My wife and I discussed quite a bit, she feels that things have improved due to the ideas from this board.  But, thinks that pain is the problem, If I take pain medication I sleep "better" but a lighter less restful sleep.  I partial tore a ligament in 2017, therapy, surgery still often wakes me in the night like someone wacked me with a ball bat.  Add 40 years of operating trains, football and bull riding in my youth..... hard to stay comfortable for long periods.  

Will give a fixed pressure a shot, but the turning for comfort seems to be my leaking issue.  When I take a hour nap in the afternoon seems no issues on any front, wake with a restful deep sleep but time for a nap and good sleep for an hour is not a fix.  May be I just have to keep learning to deal with it. Again, Thanks for trying to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your position while taking a nap different from your normal sleep position? That may be a point of consideration.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
For fixed pressure, I think you will get good results at 10/7 (EPR 3). I would leave it in autoset mode but make the minimum and maximum pressures equal. What pain medications do you normally use?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:57 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Is your position while taking a nap different from your normal sleep position?   That may be a point of consideration.

As I am usually very tired at that point, it seems that I am able to stay on my left side and appear to never roll around, but after the hour that seems to be when I wake with pain???? That is how I start at night, but then the repositioning happens later.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 11:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: For fixed pressure, I think you will get good results at 10/7 (EPR 3).  I would leave it in autoset mode but make the minimum and maximum pressures equal.  What pain medications do you normally use?

Not sure what 10/7 (EPR 3) means.  When reviewing my readings, my issues worsened when my Pulmonologist suggested 6-20, I lowered in steps.  now I have went back and set it up 10-14 to start giving me time to adjust to a fixed pressure??? 

Pain meds, on bad days just to get to sleep, Naproxen 500 mg bottom end, Oxy top end, everything in between, best relief is Tramadol but sleep crappy, tough it out waking hours. In addition to meloxicam and gabapenten daily.  Again, thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The 10/7 are inhale/exhale pressures. On your model CPAP, setting your pressure to a fixed 10 cm, and setting your EPR to 3 will yield the 7 cm exhale pressure. The formula for an AirSense CPAP is, Pressure - EPR = Exhale Pressure. Note, this value will never below 4 cm, the machine's minimum pressure. Make sure the EPR is set to "Full Time".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,080 5 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 227 7 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 379 8 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 74 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,363 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,672 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.