Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

grizwilson - Therapy Thread
RE: Leak Issues
    Thanks Dave, one screen shot is just the mask, one is the mask and chin strap, here is the screen shot with collar.  Leak rate better AHI up a bunch Thanks
Les
Post Reply Post Reply
Of these 3, leaks are way down on this last one. Yes 99.5% leaks are 14.x, but that's a lot better than 40.

As for the correlation to low leaks and AHI going up... The higher the leaks go, the more likely the PAP increasingly loses report accuracy. I have had this in the past too. Once I got control of leaks, AHI went up, but as AHI was 3 or below and leaks were down so were leak caused disturbances.

It is your therapy of course, but this last chart might have given you the best results felt, but you need to decide that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, Thanks Dave,
I backed away from the collar after the increased AHI.  As you can tell I really do not understand all of this, although I have been doing it since 2004.  I will try the collar some more, and/or maybe a full face mask.  I have a friend who was a RP when he retired gave me his sample masks so I have a number I can try.  Will post in a few days with results.  Thanks again
les
Post Reply Post Reply
I would definitely try the collar again. If you can get your head around the fact that you may well be having the same number of events without it, but they just aren't showing because of the high leaks, then hopefully that will reassure you.

I learn something new every time I come here. Big Grin It's amazing how much knowledge is held by the people here.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Well Friends, attached is the download from last night, Dreamwear mask, soft collar..... Leaks improved, AHI .... bit higher but well under 5, as Dave predicted 
 not sure what I do next?????
Post Reply Post Reply

Last night I switched to the resmed mirage nasal mask, large leaks up from zero to 1.5, still wore the soft collar, my AHI was much better back down to the .25 from the 1.5.  What should my target be for both leak and AHI ?  Do not like the collar, but seems I need to live with it for leak prevention? 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
[split] Please help with treatment review
Need recommendations, Attached are screenshots from 1/17 dreamwear no collar, 1/19 Mirage with collar and 1/20 dreamwear with collar.  My leaks go down with collar, guessing either holding chin up or enough lift to keep from moving mask during night.  But AHI goes up with collar, as Dave has said likely due to more accurate data with fewer leaks.  My question is should I continue with the dreamwear and collar or should I keep tweaking? Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect your collar is pressing on the soft tissue behind the jaw, rather than just supporting the jaw structure. I would rather deal with the leaks than the apnea, but I think a different collar or other device for controlling leaks may be needed that does not impinge on the throat.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess I am confused on what to try next?  I am wearing the collar pretty loose, do not think it is impinging on throat??? Open to ideas and suggestions.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, the frequent leaks are the bigger issue according to the trends showing.
You'll have to refresh the memory. What have you tried mask wise? Various sizes, models, adjustment methods? Within the same mask model, type like pillows, nasal, full, and hybrid of nasal and full, and then some have a headgear choice, and then cushion sizes. Some like a ResMed F20 have 2 mask cushion materials, the AirFit silicone and AirTouch memory foam. I have tried both these cushions in various sizes on the F20 and had to move on to a Fisher and Paykel Vitera full face.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 838 2 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 968 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.