Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

grizwilson - Therapy Thread
RE: Leak Issues
(01-21-2022, 12:30 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Agreed, the frequent leaks are the bigger issue according to the trends showing.
You'll have to refresh the memory. What have you tried mask wise? Various sizes, models, adjustment methods? Within the same mask model, type like pillows, nasal, full, and hybrid of nasal and full, and then some have a headgear choice, and then cushion sizes. Some like a ResMed F20 have 2 mask cushion materials, the AirFit silicone and AirTouch memory foam. I have tried both these cushions in various sizes on the F20 and had to move on to a Fisher and Paykel Vitera full face.

Guess I am missing something, while wearing the collar my large leaks are 0.0 unless I am confused? But my AHI goes ups, to around 2?  
Post Reply Post Reply
An ahi of 2 is pretty darn good.

In terms of higher ahi with lower leak levels: I get the same result when I switch from (somewhat leaky) nasal pillows to a less leaky full face mask: higher ahi with better leak control. Dave thinks this has to do with leaks interfering with the accuracy of reported ahi by the machine. He's probably right, so that my higher ahi with the full face mask is the accurate number.

But I've heard contrary things. Often with nasal pillows I'll have many leaks in the 10 t0 15 range, but none above the red zone. Supposedly, these leaks don't interfere with the ability of the machine to treat apneas. If so...are my lower ahi numbers with the leakier pillows accurate after all, since the machine "should" be able to still work efficiently?

In other words, should I be treating my apneas or my leak rate? I'd decided to live with higher leak rates (still acceptable), lower REPORTED ahi and the greater comfort of pillows...until I recently changed my mind again and went back to an F30 with a leak strap. The leaks now are far less than with pillows (with one blow up per night) and, yep, my ahi is higher.

In the end, I think I'm more rested with the F30, but it's still early and the difference is mild.
Post Reply Post Reply
January 20's chart showed lower leaks, very acceptable for that, but the beginning of clustering again.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I mention leaks affecting accuracy, it's typically when leaks within the 95% have gotten close or crossed over the redline of 24. But if there are near constant leaks that aren't yet at redline versus those that are lower, that is where I think I would point out leaks can affect events and accuracy. Sometimes my answer/comment about this is general and other times specific to the person. Just to make the murkiness less clear.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 01:12 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: January 20's chart showed lower leaks, very acceptable for that, but the beginning of clustering again.

Thank you again Dave, not sure if lack of rest or lack of intelligence not sure what "beginning of clustering" means.  I will try the full face mask and check back in....
Post Reply Post Reply
am using the dreamwear with MW cushion, when I run mask fit the large and medium both leaked too bad, however small seems to seal, will give it a shot.  I have a VIASYS advantage full face mask, with 4 pt headgear which is on the try stack looks similar to the F20. Ran a check, the small Mirage works better than Large, close to the Med that I currently use.  Still trying to find best fit, collar is unhandy but....
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, I think the leak/ahi accuracy is an important variable, and one that I wasn't aware of until you pointed it out in other threads. 

I invariably have better REPORTED ahi with nasal masks than with full face masks with lower leak rates. That lead me to believe that nasal pillows worked better for me in controlling apneas than full face masks, even with their higher leak rate. Now I'[m not sure! I might start a thread on this topic are nasal pillows inherently better than FFMs, if you can tolerate them?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, to SarcasticDave94, SleepRider, RatChick and others, 
Kept trying different mask, and solutions, used the Mirage with a small (was using medium, large would not seal) no collar last night unless someone sees something wrong in my readout think we have it pretty close, 0.63 AHI, 0.04 large leak doubt if we can do better???

Thanks Everyone, this site is such a help.
g

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDave94, Sleeprider, Ratchick Pls look
    Have posted on a few threads, these folks have been a great help.  Would like their feedback on my latest download, I think it is pretty good but would like their thoughts. and what else I may do to improve?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: grizwilson - Therapy Thread
grizwilson - Your last 3 threads all deal with your therapy. In order to have all your historical data in one place, I have merged your threads. The new name for your thread is, "grizwilson - Therapy Thread". Please keep all future posts about your therapy in this thread. I have sent a PM to you as well stating this merge.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 162 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.