Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

have you been able to effectively use nasal mask without mouth taping or chin strap?
have you been able to effectively use nasal mask without mouth taping or chin strap?
I want to switch to a nasal mask (vs full face) for various reasons. I can breathe through my nose during the day so I know I can do it at night. I have tried mouth taping but I wake up with an irritated throat (and I realized yesterday it's the same feeling as when I have to wear a COVID mask all day and have to talk to people). So I'm trying without. I feel like I'm improving (going longer without my mouth "popping") I guess I'd just like to hear from others that they are able to sleep with nasal, without mouth taping or chin strap. I'm thinking it's just something I have to get used to, keeping my tongue int he right place.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: have you been able to effectively use nasal mask without mouth taping or chin strap?
I guess I've been one of the lucky ones and can successfully breathe through my nose only. I've been using either nasal pillows or a nasal mask of some description for years.
There is an exercise you can practice and it may help in keeping your mouth closed while sleeping.

https://www.soundsleepmedical.com/blog/e...05%20times.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: have you been able to effectively use nasal mask without mouth taping or chin strap?
I can rest without a chin strap, but I do prefer the added security of being assured. So I do use a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with upsman never taped or strapped. Always used a nasal mask, currently pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am actually exploring going from nasal pillows to FFM. Been in therapy for 2.5 years and early on had significant mouth breathing and leaks. Seemingly from Oscar data I had trained myself (see post above and in this forums wiki under "mask leaks" there is a different description and tongue exercise), BUT in last 5 months probably related to increased stress it seems I am again mouth breathing. Thus while I have mostly tamed this with mouth taping (I find cervical collar or chin strap too confining), I am going to explore FFM. In addition to mouth taping I am paying a lot of attention to head position on pillow (far off to one side, and slightly tilted upward); I'm mostly  a side sleeper and usually only one side per night = so not an active sleeper. I am hoping that FFM might offer good alternative and not require so much self observation and positioning. I do expect that if I move to FFM I will miss the simplicity and light weight of nasal pillows. Good luck with your transition.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had similar problems to you, but with pretty violent coughing.Thought it was my 5 cms tape.

In the end I found out that vital to clean the air intake filter once a week, with a couple of flicks with your fingers to get rid of any dust.

Long story short, I have a dreamware pillows mask, and use Micropore or CoverRoll tape. Works well and mask silent. perfect

I can't tolerate a full face mask, noisy with the rush of air, difficult to control leaks, and mask seal uncomfortable. (I have tried Resmed and Phillips - just no good for me).
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to be able to use a nose mask successfully, but over time I started to occasionally find my mouth had been open for a period during the night.
I put it down to becoming subconsciously more relaxed with using a CPAP over time, so in the end I switched to a full face mask.

In the end it isn't a big issue, with being asleep all that matters is what works effectively for treatment.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 797 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.