Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold?
have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold?
I am new at this but I soon realized that having two masks is a smart thing. I am learning to use a nose pillow but have a lot more hours on a Amara View FFM. I am trying to figure out what is better when you have a stuffy nose, coughing etc. I tend to lean towards the nose pillow but still undecided. Then again I might just skip the mask I am so tired.
Last night, I've started with the pillow and finished with the FFM - slept only 4 hours but I was rested.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold?
Surprised you can function with only 4 hours!   Unsure
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your approach of having more than one mask is a good one. Since I started rotating among a few masks, the overall comfort level has improved, if only because you don't constantly have the same contact areas.

As for which mask to use with a full-fledged cold, in the half a year I've been on CPAP, I haven't had one yet, as this treatment (with humidifier) seems to have as a side effect reducing the length and severity of the nasal congestion, rhinitis, runny nose, and frequent colds I was prone to Cold . When I do cough, though, I've found that you can sort of train yourself to do so, or even sneeze, through the mouth while wearing a nasal pillow mask in a way that minimizes the needless excessive messy explosiveness  Grin of doing it inside the confines of a full face mask. eeew
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2017, 05:46 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Surprised you can function with only 4 hours!   Unsure

I am 61, also Bipolar Lite; 2 month sleep OK, 10 days insomnia cycle {hypo(manic)}....also called cyclothymic disorder. For a short term I can do it but I need to retire because it is HARD
BTW I did not skip the mask but take my second Ambien(5mg) so I can go back to sleep (3 am) I am on VACATION!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is clearly easier when you have a cold to use a nasal pillow mask.

The direct air through the nasal passages clears out congestion pretty fast.

If I had to spend the night coughing and sneezing into a full face mask, I would be removing the mask and tossing it across the room.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience I can echo OpalRoses's comment about the nasal pillows. That was a very pleasant surprise to me. I distinctly recall my Kaiser sleep technician recommending that I go without the mask while sick. But since my sleep is so poor without it, I shrugged my shoulders and took the chance. After being stuffed up all day long, breathing through my nose was better than finding a $20 bill in my coat pocket.

Great topic, though - this has been on my mind as cold & flu season is upon us. For three years in a row I've had pretty rough bouts with bronchitis, and I'm wondering how I'll do if it strikes again. Good luck to you...
-Jerry
In search of a good night's sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to add the benefits of using the humidifier a little warmer maybe. My setting was down to 1 and I up back to 3. I just wonder if one could add eucalyptus to the distilled water?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't put it in the water. A few drops on a cotton ball placed near the air intake of your cpap machine should work, though.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
A big advantage of using the pillows with a respiratory infection is that you can cough and sneeze without backsplatter. However, you might want to compromise slightly on your leaks and not overdo with chin slings or other accoutrements that restrain your jaws. Let 'er rriipppp!

------------

My new find is spray IcyHot. IIRC it's menthol. Spray it on your upper chest, and it'll waft fumes at you without you damaging your mask. 

Bonus: IcyHot might even help you sleep (I spray my quads with it if I'm having trouble falling asleep; it's relaxing and soothing).
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2017, 06:00 AM)Sheepish Wrote: I think your approach of having more than one mask is a good one. Since I started rotating among a few masks, the overall comfort level has improved, if only because you don't constantly have the same contact areas.
Same here.

My "#1" is the P10.  Every now and then, I'll get irritation around my nostrils, so I'll go to the Wisp for a week or so.
If I have a cold and I'm not confident I can make it through the night without mouth-breathing, I'll grab the Airtouch (memory foam) F20.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 673 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  First night using APAP. Still slept like garbage. QuirkyTurtle 9 571 12-08-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.