Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

having a hard time.
having a hard time.
Hello I am new here, I have been a cpap user for at least ten years.  I just wanted to talk with some folks tonight as I have had about 4 hours of sleep in the last 7 days and I am a bit down heartened (and loopy at this point.) I am one that does not sleep without my cpap.I just cant! I wake up choking. So I have no cat naps in the recliner or while taking a ride when some else drives. My sleep doc took me to pressure of 18 a year our so ago. I have always had dry mouth with that. They have said try a chin strap. I have tried a few and my mouth still motor boats a bit and is very dry even with strap pulled to tight.  I have gotten so desperate I saved my Van Dyke beard off last night and tried tape on my mouth as the doc had talked about in the past.  (only the 2nd time in the last 35 years I have had a clean face) That did work as my mouth blew up like a balloon.   I can say I feel like my pressure is set to high.

To the rest of the story, about 7 days ago I started waking up choking no matter what I did. Heart rate up like 120s and in total fight or flight. terrifying.  Turns out I have a small case of the covid. I had had it before in 2019. This is nothing compared to then. I have been totally worked up by the ER docs. I had a small fever for a few hours after that lower then normal temps. My oxygen levels have been 95 to 97% on room air. Had full chest x-rays, CT scan all that was good.  But I cant sleep without waking choking in fight or flight. Heck Im getting scared seeing the sun set now Knowing I wont be sleeping again and just pacing the floor for another night.  ER docs said they dont have anything else to try. They even gave me a few sleeping pills those did not work. I wake still choking.

I called my sleep doc/DME as I did not know what else to do. Of course they wont see me,(I didnt really think they would) but they wont even let me have some one else deliver my card from my Machine. I was like I will set my machine out side and have a friend come by with cloves remove the card sanitize it and take it to them. I finally got them to set me up on a video conference for the 22nd which got changed today to the 10th. Needless to say I am foggy and a bit concerned. 

Thank you for listening. I know there is not anything anyone can do. I just wanted to talk. If my written word is not great english tonight please understand why.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: having a hard time.
Sorry to hear that your going this this. There's nothing worse than not being able to sleep. It sounds like your doctors aren't offering much help, so all you have is selff-help.
Be sure your using something to soothe your throat and sleep on your side slightly elevated.

Luckily, I've never had Covid, so I won't say I know what up your going through.
But if it were me, I would lower my pressure, put the machine in Cpap mode and use a comfort feature like CFlex to help with exhalation. A pressure of 18 is a lot to deal with when your sick.

Download the OSCAR software, and post a Screenshot of your data so we can see how your machine is set up? Follow the link in my signature line to guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your kind reply,

This time with Covid it is hard to tell it is anything. I really feel like I have a ear infection. While pacing the floor trying to think of what to do I noticed my old CPAP machine that is an old system one. It has a 14 for the pressure, So I tried it. It was much easier to take but I could still feel it in my ear and sinuses. At least I could sleep some with it. 

I looked at the software but with my lack of sleep I thought better of trying to do anything with it now. 

Thank you again for your encouraging reply.
Bert
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, keep us posted in how you're doing. Don't worry about AHI or any other numbers.
Go for comfort and take time to heal.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bert, I look forward to seeing some information from Oscar showing your results. Not all Dreamstation CPAP machines can produce efficacy data, however if you have the Auto or Pro you will be able to get the information. You may know your Dreamstation has been recalled, and you should be getting a replacement, and hopefully an upgrade. With a fixed pressure of 18, you have an argument to move to bilevel (BiPAP) therapy which would be a lot more comfortable and improve ventilation. If the heart tachycardia continues, see a cardiologist.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With congestion from the COVID maybe you would do better with a full-face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only tried a full mask once. (though I still have the one I tried) I choked with that when I was not sick. My mask experience is small. When I started with my cpap 10 years ago I had real troubles the first four days. Then I called the doc and they suggested a Mirage FX I tried it that day and it was perfect. I had zero struggles tell I went to 18 on pressure and then I was getting real dry mouth. I went to 18 about 9 years into using my CPAP.  Though I tried a full face mask for a couple weeks I never really understood how they worked compared to my Mirage FX.  Sure seemed to take a bunch more force on exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.  And I hope you are feeling better soon!

I just started APAP this fall and I started with the ResMed F20 mask.  I think it is a good "beginner" mask, so to speak.  It is comfortable and fits without a lot of fuss.  I like the FF and hybrid masks because, since they cover both nose and mouth, you can't get a dry mouth or mask leaks when you need to mouth breathe with congestion. I am presently using the ResMed F30i, but it requires more fiddling to get a reliable seal, so I'd recommend the F20 is you plan on a short-term change.  

The F30i, which to me feels like a N30i with the addition of a mouth cushion, might be less of a change to you though if you are using to a nasal mask.  I have tried the nasal version since it leaves less straps marks and will work with a mandibular advancement device.  But when I go to sleep my mouth promptly falls open even with the MAD in place. Since the F30i is pretty dang comfy, I figure using it is less of a bother than adding a chin strap or tape.  

To me, the pressure feels the same with either mask when both are sealed.  My ResMed maachine has a "Nasal" vs "Full Face" setting on the clinician's side of the settings which may make a difference, but I am not sure if yours has something similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
More on bilevel therapy:
Without reservation the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto will provide better and more comfortable therapy. The basics of bilevel are that we use EPAP to hold the airway patent to avoid obstructive apnea, but uses pressure support to remove any remaining airway resistance to allow a more complete and normal breath. A bilevel machine is capable of higher pressure (25 cm), and since you are near the maximum output of your CPAP, you are clearly near the maximum capability of your CPAP to provide the therapy you need. Pressure support is the difference between IPAP and EPAP. This contrast in pressure makes natural respiration easier and more comfortable. The Vauto has controls to affect the triggering of IPAP and cycling of EPAP as well as minimum and maximum times of inspiration, so it is capable of being used to treat respiratory disorders like COPD as well. There is a great deal to be learned about the machine, and the best way to get a handle on it is to request a copy of the clinical manual from the forum. This reference also discusses the different machines available and their intended clinical use. https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Small update, I learned it is the vocal cords spasming that is cutting off the airway. (got to see the sleep apnea doc, cause the ENT dic called him.) Sleep apnea doctor pretty much said that his therapy stops at the vocal cords he doesn’t go into the vocal cords, the ear nose and throat doctor has to head this up. (Though through a miracle the two got a chance to talk about the problem.) he’s got me on some steroids to bring the inflammation down. He does not have me setup to see him again tell next Wednesday. Needless to say no one is giving me any real hope for any sleep filled restful recovery anytime soon.

Once this is done I still think I want a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto bilevel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 812 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,223 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.