Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

having issues with respironics [REMstar SE]
having issues with respironics [REMstar SE]
Hello,

In 2014, I received my new respironics. Used it until 2015 when I started having trouble with taking the full mask off during the night and sometimes there was a smell like something burning when I took the mask off in the morning. I took everything back to the home health care provider. They gave me the nasal mask and nasal pillows and a new power supply. 
It was difficult getting used to the new nasal masks; leaking, itching and still taking them off during the night, so I eventually gave up using the cpap. 
Now, 3 yrs later, I am experiencing multiple health/dental issues, which may be the direct result of apnea.
I'm trying to use the machine again but am still having difficulty. The last 2 nights, the nasal pillows were very uncomfortable, last night the nasal mask worked well. There is still a weird smell but that could be that I have mistakenly used the old power supply, my fault, I will switch that out before tonight.
Overall, the biggest issue starting over again has been the air flow. I am not sure how I am supposed to breathe! In through my nose, out through my mouth?? Or in and out through my nose?  Either way, the air flow is very strong and it is extremely difficult to keep up with, feels like it's about to choke me. I use the Ramp button over and over but that only takes it down halfway which still feels too strong. Somehow I eventually get to sleep. I wake up often with very dry nose and throat.
I do try the machine during the day and it seems a little bit easier while sitting up.
Any suggestions?

Also, I had no luck downloading the sd card, says, "...my machine is not supported yet...." and "...Jedimark needs a .zip copy and matching Encore .pdf reports to make it work with SleepyHead."     (Unfortunately My tech knowledge stopped with that message.)

Thank You!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: having issues with respironics
You should breathe in and out through your nose. Your Remstar SE CPAP provides no data and is an older machine. Is this the System One HS250 or 260? In the System One series, the 260 does not have detailed data, but the 460 Pro and 560 Auto do. The SE will never be supported, because it only provides usage data. Be sure to keep the power supply away from the machine air intake. Many members of the forum have complained about the electric burning smell.

If you are committed to doing this, I would encourage you to get a new modern auto CPAP, with preference to the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. That way, you get reinforcement by observing the good results, and a very nice exhale pressure relief (EPR) that can lower the pressure up to 3 cm of pressure on each exhale. With the data, you can learn if a lower pressure is possible, and with the autoset algorithm, your pressure stays lower until you need more pressure, then it rises automatically, and falls back when pressure is not needed. If you want to go this route, talk to your primary doctor and explain your tolerance problems with the fixed CPAP with no data, and request he update your prescription for Auto CPAP, specifically the Airsense 10 Autoset. Using the machine will actually give you a chance to legitimately complain about the comfort problems and lack of data. If you don't qualify for insurance on a new CPAP, you might want to look in your Phoenix Craigslist where a seller in Scottsdale is offering a reconditioned Resmed Autoset or an Autoset For Her for $349 with warranty. Be sure to inquire about run hours. The different machine would make a big difference. The same as with your "brick", don't get the plain old CPAP.

With the current machine, you can adjust the pressure and settings to make it easier to use. This link shows how to access the clinical settings: https://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one...structions You might want to decrease the CPAP pressure to 7.0 and use CFlex at 1 to increase comfort. Once you have successfully used the machine we can look at your AHI as reported on the machine's on-screen report (Therapy Menu), and based on the apnea and hypopnea events, increase pressure as needed (I don't recall if this machine even reports AHI, but other System One models do). Welcome to the forum. Let's get you moving the right direction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: having issues with respironics
Hi drosan!
Welcome to Apnea Board.

Your machine is not data capable and will not work with SleepyHead.  I believe all you will see from your machine is basic compliance information.  

You didn’t state whether you had a sleep study done and what the results were.  Do you know what your AHI reading is?  If we had some information from your study, we may be able to suggest a more comfortable setting.

You may want to consider upgrading your machine at some point.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: having issues with respironics [REMstar SE]
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You, happy to be A-Board!!

Sleeprider, Thank You so much for the advice!  I was able to change the setting to 7.
In 2014, my AHI was 23.8.
I am committed and it really helps a lot knowing that I have support with this antiquated equipment until I can get set up with a new sleep test and equipment.
I truly appreciate your assistance!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum drosan! Glad you found us! Keep on the doctors until you get what you need and hopefully you'll be on the road to better health soon!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2018, 12:19 AM)drosan Wrote: Thank You, happy to be A-Board!!

Sleeprider, Thank You so much for the advice!  I was able to change the setting to 7.
In 2014, my AHI was 23.8.
I am committed and it really helps a lot knowing that I have support with this antiquated equipment until I can get set up with a new sleep test and equipment.
I truly appreciate your assistance!!!

I like to think, efficacy follows comfort.  If we can find settings that work for comfort and a good night of sleep, your problem is mostly solved.  A higher end machine would be nice, but this one will work if you work with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 218 10 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,073 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 113 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 382 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 159 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.