Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

having trouble with aircurve 10 asv
RE: having trouble with aircurve 10 asv
(09-01-2019, 12:03 PM)ldanielle01 Wrote: Thanks for the reply! 
I don't know why I'm having the large leaks, but I have ordered new nasal pillows to see if that helps. 
I'm a back-sleeper which I guess is the worst for people with apnea.  Maybe I will try some different head pillows as well.  I wonder if I stretch the tube out or something and that pulls the mask off my face a little? 
I never really had a problem with large leaks until this year, so I'm not sure why.  I had great results for quite a while, then I stopped using it for a couple months after ear surgery and when I went back to using it, I had all sorts of issues at once!  I did lose close to 20 lbs this past year, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it...
Hopefully we can get it sorted out soon!  I'm anxious to get it resolved.
Thanks again!!!

Back sleeping is typically the worst position for Obstructive Apnea.

There's 2 generic products I'm suggesting you window/internet shop/research. 1 is a pillow, that is one you place your head on not the nasal pillow mask. There's various shapes, fill materials, thickness, with or without mask cutout, etc. to shop and consider. Some here on the board like one called My Pillow, others like variations on a buckwheat fill pillow.

Item 2 is a hose holder. It could be in the form of a metallic pole frame that tucks under the mattress and hooks onto the hose at the top with a strap of some sort. (looks kinda like a gallows to hang bad guys) Other variants may be something like clothespin clips on both ends with a cord to connect them (I'm supposing clipping to the hose and your clothes or similar). The idea is to shift the weight of the hose onto something else for support rather than it hanging free from the mask. For example, Supplier #1 has some pillows and hose holders under the Comfort and Care section.

FWIW when I have the money to purchase, I plan on getting a gallows style hose holder and buckwheat pillow.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, here is from last night.  Collar on, contoured pillow for greater comfort, and settings changed to recommended.
Much closer to my normal sleep time, aside from unexpected crazy wind storm around 2 am that woke everyone, including the actual house.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
even with the collar you're still showing clusters. try adjusting it, probably tighter. there are exceptions to the conventional wisdom to keep it loose for comfort. unfortunately, the way my neck and chin are formed I have to wear the collar quite tight to be effective. it should help with your leaks that are too high as well.

I ditched my foam contour pillow. it might have helped with neck position while sleeping supine but it's too firm and makes my mask shift. instead I use a buckwheat pillow that's almost infinitely adjustable, conforms to the shape of whatever's on it, allows me to hang my face and mask over the edge of the pillow while side sleeping and minimizes mask distortion.

one invaluable tip to help with mask fit and leaks is to use some kind of hose hanger. a simple hook on the wall, clamp on the headboard or pillow case, lanyard hung from the ceiling, etc., will do. or you can buy a product designed for that purpose.

wait to hear from whoever is advising you. I think a properly functioning collar (or similar) should substantially reduce leaks and the clusters of obstructives. in addition (or alternatively) I suspect you will end up with more epap (around 8-9 cmw), although if effective, the collar may allow you to have lower.

I didn't reread this whole thread but I see some of these things have been mentioned before. keep trying 'til you figure out what works for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you will see improvement fairly quickly in time. It is fairly common to see obstructive clusters continue when first getting started with the collar. It's just my observation, but it seems to improve fairly quickly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say that's pretty quickly!  Thanks again for all your help.  I'm still waiting for the hose holder to try to get the leak down, but everything else seems a lot better!

AHI from the last two nights below!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That's pretty remarkable change. Your charts would be helpful in our wiki for using soft cervical collars if you are okay with it. We don't have an example of using the collar with ASV, and this is textbook. Not only are UA and H events essentially gone, but your leaks have become controlled and your pressure are staying much lower. This is exactly what we hoped for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely!  I feel a lot better already!
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the success. Hope it continues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!  I do too!  Also thanks for your help...I got a lot of good advice from this forum and I really appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite welcome. Happy Thursday.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,487 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,857 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.