Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

headache/sinus pain from CPAP
RE: headache/sinus pain from CPAP
It is not congestion, just a soreness.  Almost feels like the sinus cavities have been stretched.  Goes away in the afternoon/evening.  Most painfully first thing in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
duece12345,

The frustrating thing is that there's nothing in your charts that points to an obvious tweak to try: Your apnea is well controlled and there's no reason to think that changing the pressure settings is going to help the soreness in your sinuses.

The questions that I have are these:

1) What humidifier setting are you using? Have you tried turning it both UP and DOWN? If you change the humidity, is there any change in how those sinuses feel in the morning?

2) Do you use a heated hose? If so, what temperature setting are you using? And have you tried turning it both UP and DOWN? If you change the temperature setting, is there any change in how those sinuses feel in the morning?

3) Does being outside on a really windy day ever adversely affect your sinuses? If so, how?

4) Can you feel any air flow hitting you in the face as you are trying to get to sleep? If so, does that bother the sinuses?

5) Which nasal mask are you using? Have you tried any other masks? Was/is the problem different if you switch masks?
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2017, 08:38 PM)robysue Wrote: duece12345,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my charts!

The questions that I have are these:

1) What humidifier setting are you using? Have you tried turning it both UP and DOWN? If you change the humidity, is there any change in how those sinuses feel in the morning?

I have the climate and temp on auto right now.  I had it turned down pretty low for a while and the resmed tech advised me to use auto again, go figure.  I may try and dial it down again.

2) Do you use a heated hose? If so, what temperature setting are you using?  And have you tried turning it both UP and DOWN? If you change the temperature setting, is there any change in how those sinuses feel in the morning?

Temp also on auto. ,resmed tech told me to try 81 or 82 degrees.  thoughts on that?

3) Does being outside on a really windy day ever adversely affect your sinuses?  If so, how?

Sinuses are pretty good honestly. No allergies.  Had sinus surgery a year or so ago so that may be cause for concern.  the soreness was there prior to sinus surgery though.

4) Can you feel any air flow hitting you in the face as you are trying to get to sleep? If so, does that bother the sinuses?

No air to the face that I know of.  seem to have a pretty good seal.

I have talked to quite a few people to include the sleep doc and they seemed baffled.  thanks for any help.

5) Which nasal mask are you using? Have you tried any other masks? Was/is the problem different if you switch masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
Duece,

I hope all is well in the flying world. I just got my sign off from my sleep doctor yesterday. I'm not really where I want to be but good enough for now. I had a thought regarding your sinus pain, have you been examined for TMJ? I've had this for years! The feeling is only on one side of my face and can run from my jaw line starting at the lower part of my ear all the way up to my temple by the corner of my eye. I also get tooth sensitivity on that side. Often it is at it's worse when I wake up. I've been told this is a result of teeth grinding or bruxum at night while asleep. The odd thing is that often the symptoms are not pain but rather a congested feeling on that side of the face. TMJ can develop at any age.

Years ago I had an oral appliance made and this has almost eliminated the issue. When first diagnosed my doctor administered a Botox injection to help relax the tension in the jaw mussels, it took a week but in all my life this was the most effective medical treatment I have ever received.

Just something to consider.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 3 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Very Low AHI Still Extremely Tired / Waking with Headache exchanged 1 439 01-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 341 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 344 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.