Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

healthy vs not sick and symptom suppression
RE: healthy vs not sick and symptom suppression
Dead people have AHI scores of -0-. Live people don't.

There is no such thing as perfect. In all operational respects.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
This exactly the the discussion result I had hoped my opening post would generate.
(all except you OMMOHY you are a smart ass Grin )
I learned a lot and Doc W I really appreciate you sharing your professional wisdom.

Thank you all!
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 07:27 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: This exactly the the discussion result I had hoped my opening post would generate.
I learned a lot and Doc W I really appreciate you sharing your professional wisdom.

Thank you all!

better a smart ass than a dumb ass, i always say Bigwink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 07:34 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 07:27 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: This exactly the the discussion result I had hoped my opening post would generate.

Thank you all!

better a smart ass than a dumb ass, i always say Bigwink

Everyone like a little. No one likes a smart.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 04:05 PM)DocWils Wrote: ........
To go further, these scores include a lot of things that don't actually necessarily desaturate your O2 levels, and that is actually more important to consider, since it is the desaturations that remain the greater danger, but since machines score AHI based on "events" as a gestalt, including events that do not create clinical level desats, like periodic breathing and flow limitations, still count in the score.

Wow Doc, I think that is a run on sentence. I've seen paragaphs shorter than that.

My understanding is that only apneas and hypopneas are included in the AHI and that is the way the software treats it. Is my understanding incorrect?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
He speaks German... of course it is long! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
No that is some of the words in German that are as long as a normal paragraph. Big Grin But maybe you are right. Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It takes as many words as it takes to say it accurately. Neither more nor less. That's the German characteristic I am familiar with.
Akin to wizards never being late of course.

Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 08:46 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Wow Doc, I think that is a run on sentence. I've seen paragaphs shorter than that.

Sorry, med speak and all that. Given to long sentences to cram in as much information as possible. Try reading some of our papers, sometime...Laugh-a-lot

(04-30-2015, 08:46 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My understanding is that only apneas and hypopneas are included in the AHI and that is the way the software treats it. Is my understanding incorrect?

Certain machines do, but others look at the entire score and use a special algorithm to work out the score. Depends on the manufacturers (most of this has to do with not crossing over into someone else's copyrighted formulas, and whatnot but sold as "our has a more accurate scoring system than theirs" - utter rubbish, IMO) - weight is given to apnoeas and hypopneas, but other "quality of breathing" factors are weighed in on certain machines in order to determine the importance of the apnoea event (it would have only a small effect on the number, of course, as the weight of the AHI is based on POTENTIAL for desaturation, not only actually desaturation (which it can't tell without oxymetry anyway, so it looks at the flow rates and breathing patterns to see if there is increase or decrease that may indicate the narrowing of the throat and therefore a predictive event ), so you are sort of correct, but it is more complex - or instance, not every apnoea event results in a desaturation of down to or lower than 88% - if you do an oxymetry and couple it to your machine's results you find that often even though your machine scores a CA or OA, there is sometimes to often no large corresponding drop in sO2sats, and certainly not for hypopneas, at least so long as you are on the machine. This is because the machine reacts quickly and scores toward the paranoid, trying to prevent the problem before it gets worse and considering anything where there is a cessation of breathing to be some form of apnoea. All this is too the good, because it means the machine is trying to anticipate a problem and head it off before it becomes one, so you can literally breath easier about all this.Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I picked up my machine today but I'm too tired to care. I think I'll go eat some cookies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Diagnose with Mild to Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea. But Symptom is wrost. ketanerp 10 1,174 09-17-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: ketanerp
  new product---has anyone else purchased a "Healthy Hose" snorin2 10 1,133 08-24-2022, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Is a oxygen level a sufficient test of healthy sleeping? camper2 4 1,057 08-18-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Cpap made me sick? koy23 5 911 12-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.