Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

heated hose decision
heated hose decision
I currently use a PR1 60 series Remstar Pro C-flex (DS460HS) with a heated humidifier and standard hose and have no rainout issues, but the air at the mask is a little cold. Soon I may be able to buy a PR1 60 series Remstar Auto A-flex (DS560TS) with a heated humidifier and the new heated tube. I'd like to know:
Can the heat to the new heated tube be turned off on the DS560TS?
Can the heated humidifier that only uses a non-heated tube (off my DS460Hs) be used on the new Auto (DS560TS) machine?
Can I use a non-heated hose on the heated tube humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: heated hose decision
(12-21-2012, 01:31 AM)twindad Wrote: I currently use a PR1 60 series Remstar Pro C-flex (DS460HS) with a heated humidifier and standard hose and have no rainout issues, but the air at the mask is a little cold. Soon I may be able to buy a PR1 60 series Remstar Auto A-flex (DS560TS) with a heated humidifier and the new heated tube. I'd like to know:
Can the heated humidifier that only uses a non-heated tube (off my DS460Hs) be used on the new Auto (DS560TS) machine?

Hi twindad

I have the Philips Respironics System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (461CA)
I do have the heated hose & yes the heat can be set to off with 5 settings of heat.

I also got the none heated hose with my package so you may be in luck.
I think it will work but but some one with more knowledge than me may have more info to help you.
Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
i don,t use machine but my understanding you can select either heated tube or non-heated tube and the 560 machine comes with 80W power cord

460 machine with standard humidifier comes with 60W power supply and will not work with heated tube
both machines works with either humidifier as long as the right power cord is used

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 01:31 AM)twindad Wrote: I currently use a PR1 60 series Remstar Pro C-flex (DS460HS) with a heated humidifier and standard hose and have no rainout issues, but the air at the mask is a little cold. Soon I may be able to buy a PR1 60 series Remstar Auto A-flex (DS560TS) with a heated humidifier and the new heated tube. I'd like to know:

zonk is correct
Make sure it has the 80 Watt power supply when using the heated hose & humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 03:58 AM)zonk Wrote: i don,t use machine but my understanding you can select either heated tube or non-heated tube and the 560 machine comes with 80W power cord

460 machine with standard humidifier comes with 60W power supply and will not work with heated tube
both machines works with either humidifier as long as the right power cord is used

Hi twindad,

I think the heated hose would be safer to use, because it will stay dry all the time.

Dampness (even if not enough to cause rain-out) encourages growth of mold and bacteria inside the hose. This is why we should drain and hang up the hose to air out daily, wash periodically, and replace the hose every 3 months or so.

But we can probably go longer between hose replacements if we keep the hose dry by using a heated hose and disconnecting after use and hanging it up to stay aired out.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

You can turn the heated hose off separately from the humidifier heat. You might have to get into the clinicians menu to enable this.

You can put a non-heated hose on the "heated tube" version of the humidifier.

The non heated 460 humidifier will work on all 60 series blower units.

I doubt the heated hose makes a significant difference in germ growth. It may have less liquid water in the hose, but it's still going to be humid and will be warmer. The warmth will encourage some kinds of germ growth. There's also no guarantee that no droplets will condense on the inside of the heated tube.

Germs in the hose don't seem to be much of a problem in any case, but keep the hose clean anyway, on general principles.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replys. I have recently been able to purchase a Respironics Sys 1 series 60 Auto machine with the heated tube humidifier. I like my 460 cpap, and I REALLY like the 560 Autopap. The Auto machine is more comfortable than the cpap machine because it lets me stay at a lower pressure until higher pressure is needed. I don't know why, but my auto is quieter than my cpap. The heated tube and its humidifier make the air coming thru the hose comfortably warm (with the heat turned up all the way), while the air from my plain tube humidifier feels quite cool (set on 2), which is noticeable at the time of this writing because it is the middle of winter for me. In summer, I'll probably go back to using the plain tube humidifer for the cooler air. I found that I could clean the heated tube with warm soapy water just like the plain tube, only I have to keep the end with the electrical contacts dry or dry them out before hooking the hose back up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even with the same model, it seems the noise level varies a lot between machines.

Plus, it will probably be quieter when it's running at lower pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 611 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 359 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.