Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

heated hose questions
heated hose questions
My cpap machine just pooped out so I am exploring my options.

Can anyone enlighten me about heated tubing or hose's. I can grasp right away the advantages, but to anything there are always downsides too.

My first thought is it is subject to failure far more often then just a plain hose. If the lifespan is short, this would get expensive in a hurry.

If you have a heated hose can you switch back to regular hose or is the fitting different? My thinking being that the heated hose would be far more useful in winter but not so much when normal humidity is up.

Anyway I can use the wise advise of this board. Newbie to this board but I have been on cpap for over a decade.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: heated hose questions
SteveBreeze, welcome, I live I Australia and we don't get the luxury of changing equipment as often as the guy's in the US do, I have had my heated hose for over 2 years and it is still going strong, in fact I have all my equipment since I started and are just looking at changing the filter and maybe the cushion on my mask, so they do last. Most of the companies tell you they don't last because they want you to replaced them. All you have to do is make sure you look after your equipment. I got a non heated hose with mine as well as a heated but have never needed to use it, hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the heated hose on the S9 but I'm wasting it. I have the temps set at 74 and my room temp is 79.

Never had a heated hose on the S8 and never knew the difference. Never ever had condensation in the old hose. Some folks in colder climes have overnight temps that are lower and condensation makes sense to me in those cases. But I've also heard folks that have had that problem were able to solve it with a lo-tech and much cheaper solution - wrapped their hoses.

Use the S9 without humidification while traveling and of course no heated hose then and no difference for short term use.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated hose for the S9 has a really good lifespan. I've been surprised. As long as you don't coil it too tight or use it as a short jump rope, it should last as long as a regular hose, probably longer. The one I have now is about a year old I think.

With the S9, the heated hose and the regular hose fit on the same connector except the heated hose is twisted so the electrical connection is made. So there's no adapter or anything to change out between them.

The downside is it is slightly heavier and may pull a lightweight mask out of place. But placement helps with that (like a hose holder or putting it under the pillow to take away the weight).

That's the only downside I can think of.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
the warmer /hotter the air I breath using mask ...the more it makes me feel claustrophobic..I usually keep the humidifier off....gonna try the auto humidifier option soon to see if that is any good...I wouldnt want to try heated hose myself....seems like a humidifier is more than enough
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only been doing the whole CPAP thing for a few nights now but I'm learning to tweak things already. Personally I decided to use the heated hose because I sleep next to an air vent that is blowing cool air all night this time of year (we like to sleep in a cool room). Didn't want any condensation issues. The default hose temperature was set to 80F degrees which i decided was too warm for me. I tried 78 the night before, and 76 last night. So far 76 was the best, but I'm still experimenting. I keep the climate control on "Auto" which tries to maintain 80% relative humidity while preventing rainout.

I still haven't tried the standard hose with just humidity, but I'm afraid that I'll have to wrap the hose which will make it bulkier and heavier vs. the ClimateLine tubing. Any thoughts on that are appreciated.

The other thing I dislike is that with the standard hose you can only adjust humidity on a scale between 1 and (I think) 6. I don't know what 1-6 mean, they're just unit-less numbers to me and that messes with my head a little. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Spdklls99, the heated hose sole purpose is to eliminate a thing called "rain out". It's when the air in the hose is warmer than the hose itself and condensation forms inside. This then pools up and makes one heckuva racket. Using a heated hose has completely eliminated this problem for many folks.

I've never noticed an air temp difference between a standard hose and a heated hose. Nor have I noticed a temp difference when using the humidifier and when not. Many others have so I am thinking I am outside the norm on this (and other things but that's another topic, LOL).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Now the Airsense 10 is gaining traction, just thought I'd add question here, am using a loaner with climateline hose, want to wash it and use a clean/ dry regular hose, while climateline dries...however, it looks like some sort of adapter would be required...how to use a regular hose on Airsense 10?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure about the Resmed machines, but on my Dreamstation, the heated hose can be simply swapped out for a normal hose without an adapter. Just make sure the heated hose is switched off in the settings menu.

I find the heated hose good in winter here. Sure I might live in Australia, but the region where I am, it's freezing during the winter months.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the AirSense10, the regular hose fits over the inner tube, without hitting the electrical contacts for the heated hose. No adapter is needed. It will point directly away from the machine, rather than parallel to the back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 608 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.