Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

heater doesn't work but..
heater doesn't work but..
I have a Respironics A flex with system one heater. The heater does not work and the humidity light flashes fast when my mask is on. Even with the light on steady (when the mask is not connected) the heater does not heat.
Took it to my DME, they said the heater works but I did not see how they tested. The heater does not work. I called them and their solution is to send it out for up to a month and they can not give me any estimate range for repair. My DME charges full list for everything so I'm guessing it may cost more than a new one. I've tried everything including modifying the clinician settings. Nothing works, the heater does not come on.
I have not been able to find any test specs for the heater and it appears that the heater is not available anywhere as a separate part.
At this point, I think the problem may be with the main blower unit electronics. But I do not know how to determine this. Would love some advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: heater doesn't work but..
(01-13-2014, 11:23 AM)bugattisleep Wrote: I have a Respironics A flex with system one heater. The heater does not work and the humidity light flashes fast when my mask is on. Even with the light on steady (when the mask is not connected) the heater does not heat.
Took it to my DME, they said the heater works but I did not see how they tested. The heater does not work. I called them and their solution is to send it out for up to a month and they can not give me any estimate range for repair. My DME charges full list for everything so I'm guessing it may cost more than a new one. I've tried everything including modifying the clinician settings. Nothing works, the heater does not come on.
I have not been able to find any test specs for the heater and it appears that the heater is not available anywhere as a separate part.
At this point, I think the problem may be with the main blower unit electronics. But I do not know how to determine this. Would love some advice.

Is the heater under warranty? If so, they need to replace it.

Do you have medical insurance? If so, will they purchase a new one?

When my CPAP was under warranty and it didn't work and the DME said it did, I contacted tech support at ResMed and they instructed the DME to return it and give me a new unit.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2014, 12:06 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:23 AM)bugattisleep Wrote: I have a Respironics A flex with system one heater. The heater does not work and the humidity light flashes fast when my mask is on. Even with the light on steady (when the mask is not connected) the heater does not heat.

Is the heater under warranty? If so, they need to replace it.

Do you have medical insurance? If so, will they purchase a new one?

When my CPAP was under warranty and it didn't work and the DME said it did, I contacted tech support at ResMed and they instructed the DME to return it and give me a new unit.

thank you for replying.
Heater is not under warranty.
Have insurance but will only replace every five years.

I tried calling Resmed/Resprionics. they do not have a line for consumers but I did reach someone who told me I must go through my DME. If you have a phone number please send.
Post Reply Post Reply
respironics customer support 800-345-6443 for the US

Did this problem with your heater happen recently or has it been ongoing and did this problem begin when the humidifier was under warranty?

Anyway, call the customer support line; the worst that can happen is that they will tell you that you will have to pay for the repair or purchase another humidifier. If that is the case, you can contact your insurance company and explain that your humidifier broke (maybe replacement every 5 years is for those that aren't broken but to update the technology and if a unit is broken, your insurance company will help with that) or you can check out the online suppliers if your insurance company won't help and see if you can get one at a reasonable price, especially if the repair will cost more or almost as much as it would cost to purchase another one.

It might be a good idea to start with your insurance company first OR you can see if Respironics can help you and if they say no, you have a little more information and maybe your insurance company will help you.

Post Reply Post Reply
I called my insurance company. They will only pay to repair. I'm tired of my local monopoly DME supplier.
The respironic unit has been a pain from day one. Initially it was small stuff. then the power supply went bad. The unit never delivered consistent performance especially the humidifier that seems to have a mid of its own. and now it is brain dead.
I'm looking at other manufacturers. Called Respironics, they were of no help. Respironics should be more end user cooperative. My DME is unreliable and not knowledgeable.

It might be a good idea to start with your insurance company first OR you can see if Respironics can help you and if they say no, you have a little more information and maybe your insurance company will help you.
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bugattisleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
When I had Respironics machines, I didn't have much success with calling them, they aren't too interested in talking to us, the patients, (end users,) of course, YMMV.
Good luck to you in getting this straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2014, 11:23 AM)bugattisleep Wrote: I have not been able to find any test specs for the heater and it appears that the heater is not available anywhere as a separate part.
Supplier #2 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Suppliers #27 and #28 does CPAP repair, call them, they might be able to helps

From the user guide: Humidifier Alert ... Humidifier LED icon will flash.
Possible cause ..... Humidifier failure
Patient Action ... Alert is present for 12 minutes or until the condition is fixed. Turn off airflow and reconnect the humidifier to the device according to the humidifier instructions. If the alert continues to occur, contact your home care provider.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2014, 02:29 PM)bugattisleep Wrote: I called my insurance company. They will only pay to repair. I'm tired of my local monopoly DME supplier.
The respironic unit has been a pain from day one. Initially it was small stuff. then the power supply went bad. The unit never delivered consistent performance especially the humidifier that seems to have a mid of its own. and now it is brain dead.
I'm looking at other manufacturers. Called Respironics, they were of no help. Respironics should be more end user cooperative. My DME is unreliable and not knowledgeable.

[/quote]

Respironics is like any other manufacturer, if it is out of warranty, the customer service rep really can't help. I am not sure a supervisor can help either as that is company policy and I feel it would be the same with another manufacturer.

Is there a reason that you don't want to get the unit repaired? Also, check with your insurance company about another DME (I just left Apria and went to another DME as Apria was making too many mistakes and billing my insurance company for items I did not receive).

Hope you find a good solution for you. Let us know what you decide.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not opposed to having it repaired. At this point, I do not trust my DME and would be suspect that the repair bill would exceed the online price of a new unit. Without an estimate, and already into a possible month's rental, I would not go with a repair.
I did some research and my problem appears to be common but not enough for any action on Respironics part.
One thing is certain: I will not buy another Respironics unit. Are you listening Respironics?
I suspect the unit was not properly designed, that the current draw to run the humidifier lacks enough power to run a % above the highest (5) on the humidity setting. Likely the ground circuit shorts on the board but that is only a guess. I had already replaced one power supply and that is a sure sign of lack of power.

Respironics is like any other manufacturer, if it is out of warranty, the customer service rep really can't help. I am not sure a supervisor can help either as that is company policy and I feel it would be the same with another manufacturer.

Is there a reason that you don't want to get the unit repaired? Also, check with your insurance company about another DME (I just left Apria and went to another DME as Apria was making too many mistakes and billing my insurance company for items I did not receive).

Hope you find a good solution for you. Let us know what you decide.
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
You could probably get a decent deal on a good used humidifier to fit your machine from Supplier #2 on the supplier list.

Another solution would be to get a stand alone humidifier unit. Google "F&P HC 150" to see the kind of thing I'm referring to.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 291 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 228 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 694 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  It Just Doesn't Matter cmpman1974 6 658 12-04-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 694 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,300 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  This chart doesn't look good to me - What do you get from it? jimvs 4 573 08-03-2023, 09:51 AM
Last Post: jimvs

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.