Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account


New Posts   Today's Posts

hello
#1
I am highly allergic to both mold and dust. I have cleaned my humidifier, tubing, mask and outside of my machine very thoroughly several times. I changed the filter too. It stills smells strongly of mold and Im coughing and sneezing so much I cant keep the mask on. Im also getting colds more often than ever. If I cant clean the inside of the machine, I cant use it anymore. Does anyone know how to get inside to clean it? I really dont want to stop using it but its making me sick. The doctor told me not to stop and offered no solution but that just makes me not trust that he has my best interest at heart. My allergies are documented.
Post Reply Post Reply
#2
You can't clean inside the machine. The best you can do is clean everything else as best you can. Soap & water doesn't kill mold. Try soap & water, then soak mask/hose/tank 30 minutes in 1 part vinegar/3 parts water, then soap & water again to get rid of the vinegar smell. There are commercial products you can try. Control III is sold on Amazon and by some of the online suppliers in the suppliers list. Some people use an Ozone chamber. If you have a mold problem, you need to empty the tank every morning and let it completely dry out. You might want have two sets of tank, hoses, and mask so everything has 24+ hours to completely dry before you use it.

Post Reply Post Reply
#3
(04-08-2015, 10:01 PM)anniec Wrote: I am highly allergic to both mold and dust. I have cleaned my humidifier, tubing, mask and outside of my machine very thoroughly several times. I changed the filter too. It stills smells strongly of mold and Im coughing and sneezing so much I cant keep the mask on. Im also getting colds more often than ever. If I cant clean the inside of the machine, I cant use it anymore. Does anyone know how to get inside to clean it? I really dont want to stop using it but its making me sick. The doctor told me not to stop and offered no solution but that just makes me not trust that he has my best interest at heart. My allergies are documented.

You may want to do a weatherization check to make sure all windows, doors, etc. are caulked to help keep dust and mold out. Change your a/c filters regularly. I don't think this is coming from your machine.

Remember, pollen and allergy season has arrived early in most parts of the country. I have been having trouble for weeks now and the other day, I was on my side petting one of the dogs and my ear started getting clogged. It started getting swollen up and then became excruciatingly painful. Now I am on ear drops (antibiotic ones) and had to get an antibiotic shot and go back tomorrow and maybe Friday for another antibiotic shot to get it in my blood stream fast. I have a difficult time with antibiotic by mouth as it messes with my gut.

There is a machine, I am not sure of the name or the price, that can clean your machine parts for you but if you have other issues in your home, those have to be addressed as well.

This year is just really rough for allergies and pollen and we haven't even gotten into summer yet. Stick with your machine, fix any household problems and talk to your doc about treating your coughing, etc. Better to do all of that than to wake up dead IMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply


#4
Is it mold in the machine or in your house? xPAP machines are known to somehow amplify smells...

If it is your room you could make a box out of hepa furnace filters that your machine could sit it, pre filtering all the air before it gets to the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
#5
(04-08-2015, 10:01 PM)anniec Wrote: I am highly allergic to both mold and dust. I have cleaned my humidifier, tubing, mask and outside of my machine very thoroughly several times. I changed the filter too. It stills smells strongly of mold and Im coughing and sneezing so much I cant keep the mask on. Im also getting colds more often than ever. If I cant clean the inside of the machine, I cant use it anymore. Does anyone know how to get inside to clean it? I really dont want to stop using it but its making me sick. The doctor told me not to stop and offered no solution but that just makes me not trust that he has my best interest at heart. My allergies are documented.

Have you had your house checked? If you could identify the specific mold that is causing your illness you could attack the issue with a more specific treatment.

One trick I learned from my Holistic Vet is to use an essential oil diffuser with "Niaouli", "Lavender" and "Geranium" essential oils, sometimes individually or in combination. In fact, she has one running in her practice all the time.

After I purchased a diffuser like hers, I discovered one that cost 1/4 what that one did that is actually easier to use and does not require distilled water. If you think you might be interested, pm me and I will send you the amazon.com link to the $30.00 ultrasonic diffuser I like better!

Good luck to you!

Post Reply Post Reply
#6
The inside components of a CPAP do not support mold, mildew or other allergens. The air going into the unit is filtered, dry room air. The humidifier parts are able to be disassembled and cleaned with any manner of disinfectant you choose. I don't consider it plausible the CPAP is your problem, but for those that have a "need" to disinfect, the SoClean Ozone cleaner can be purchased to pump ozone (a gaseous disinfectant) through the machine, and all downstream components. Personally, I consider it a waste, but it sounds perfect in this case.
______________________________________________
Organize your SleepyHead Data
Post your SleepyHead Data from Imgur
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Post Reply Post Reply


#7
Hi anniec,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you don't have to quit using your CPAP machine. When you clean your parts, just make sure they are dry before you use them.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
#8
Thank you for the quick responses. Mold is, indeed, inside of my machine. There is no mold smell in my bedroom...no mold outside of the machine or on any of the parts I cleaned very carefully. It is not amplifying anything. If you look at a schematic for these machines, warm moist air is repeatedly passing through and over the inside parts of the machine and like an anti-mold shower curtain, stuff can grow on surfaces exposed even when it's not supposed to. Nature always finds a way. Allergists need to work in conjunction with cpap manufacturers to create a better machine because I am not the first person to have this concern. I really need to find a way into this machine without damaging it. I feel like the manufacterers/apnea doctors need to stop treating patients like oppositional children and start bringing us in on our own therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
#9
Have you taken the machine to the DME and asked for it to be cleaned and serviced? They would have the ability (or make the arrangements) to have it properly cleaned.
Post Reply Post Reply


#10
(04-09-2015, 10:15 AM)anniec Wrote: Thank you for the quick responses. Mold is, indeed, inside of my machine. There is no mold smell in my bedroom...no mold outside of the machine or on any of the parts I cleaned very carefully. It is not amplifying anything. If you look at a schematic for these machines, warm moist air is repeatedly passing through and over the inside parts of the machine and like an anti-mold shower curtain, stuff can grow on surfaces exposed even when it's not supposed to. Nature always finds a way. Allergists need to work in conjunction with cpap manufacturers to create a better machine because I am not the first person to have this concern. I really need to find a way into this machine without damaging it. I feel like the manufacterers/apnea doctors need to stop treating patients like oppositional children and start bringing us in on our own therapy.


If your DME does not have a solution for you, here is what I would try. After getting up for the day, I would fill the humidifier with hydrogen peroxide which kills mold and run the machine until humidifier is bone dry. Hopefully that will solve your problem!

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply


Forum Jump:

New Posts   Today's Posts




About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.

For any more information, please use our contact form.