Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help!! Bad machine??
help!! Bad machine??
Hi, 

Hope someone can help me. Not sure way but my machine cut off last night 
Has my time on it at 6 hours, but it should of been more like 9-10 hours 
it was still running at16.2 at 8:50 when I woke, but it cut off at around 6??
Maybe a bad machine?

https://imgur.com/QNcma0H
https://imgur.com/MFNsxfb
https://imgur.com/3GZYo51

Thank You,
                    Willow Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help!! Bad machine??
For this to happen one time, it could be a very brief power out caused a glitch in the recording.  My suggestion is to unplug it for 5 minutes and then plug it back in. Check the readings over the next week to see if the problem occurs again. If it does, then yes, it's possible you have a machine problem.   I would also consider plugging your machine into a surge protector and then into the wall. I had this glitch once and unplugging and plugging back in fixed it. No return of the problem and it's been more than a year.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you have smart start turned on and at some point during the night your mask came off and turned off the machine.

By the way welcome to Apnea Board!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Willow, I'm not sure if the machine cut-off, but the data you submitted is only for a very short period from 5:56 for a couple minutes. Could you please expand to show the whole session, and we can maybe see why it cut off. It looks like it failed to detect breathing, and perhaps it shut-down, or there was a data glitch.

You need a minimum pressure of 11 or 12, not 4.0. You really need to increase minimum pressure! You can try turning off Smart Start. Also try power-cycling the machine by unplugging from power for a minute, then re-powering. If the problem continues, you may need to have the machine evaluated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking the same answer as Walla Walla. Scary huh? It could be Auto Start (or Smart Start) is turned on and somehow was activated at the time in question. Sleeprider also is on to something with his post. He's been at the CPAP investigative team for lots longer than I have. With a bit more info, as indicated, someone will discover what happened.

Dave  Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
During a major mask leak, the machine can shut down in the belief that you are not using it. Smart Start might be the culprit.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://imgur.com/QNcma0H
https://imgur.com/MFNsxfb
https://imgur.com/3GZYo51attachment=4039][attachment=4039]

Thanks Guys!

I'm new at this, I know nothing about this machine. All I know was it didn't work the way it's supposed to last night!
I will unplug form the wall & see what it does tonight. It was still running when I woke this am, so I don't think it was a mask issue 
here is the whole reading from last night. It's a new machine, only had it since the end of August
it just cut off around 6am with the machine still running when I woke up at 8:50ish

Willow Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
If you’re using SmartStart, when you put the mask on and take a few breaths, it starts up (provided, of course, the green light is on). When you take the mask off, it recognizes this and shuts down after a few seconds.

If you have a big leak, it’s pretty much the same as if you’ve taken the mask off. When the big leak starts, the machine can shut off; when the big leak ends, take a few breaths and it’ll restart.

Ergo, you might very well wake up in the morning with the machine on, but it could have stopped in the night from a leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the machine was still running at 8:50 when you woke up, the data stopped recording, and by all appearances, the machine continued to run. These kind of data errors sometimes clear up when the machine is power-cycled. You can compare the session time with what is displayed on the machine and in ResScan to see if there are any discrepancies within the Sleepyhead program itself.

One notable thing from your results is that you had a concentrated cluster of OA events around 2:20, in spite of fairly high CPAP pressure at the time. This "clustering" pattern is often a result of positional obstructive apnea that can be completely cleared up using a soft cervical collar rather than raising pressure. We can look for this in future results to see if the pattern continues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!   Sleeprider

I need all the help I can get  
I'm new at this & know very little.
I did up my starting pressure to 6 last night much easer to breath. Moving it up to 8 or 10 for to night just don't want to change to much at once. 
They just handed me this machine at the end of August, I've had one phone call with them since than that's it! 
It is helping but I feel I'm getting NO guidance from them. 

Thanks, Willow
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,173 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,793 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,756 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,250 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.