Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical collar with xPAP question
RE: Cervical collar with xPAP question
(10-10-2017, 07:22 AM)Hojo Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:57 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I got a cervical collar to work last night, but the mask leaked out of control....

Are you still using a nasal pillow or have to switched to a FFM?  I really can't see a collar completely pushing the mouth closed.  I tried a nasal pillow with a chin strap (and had it pretty darn tight) and no luck, had lots of leaks.  I may not have been able to breath through my mouth very well, but I'm sure my mouth was open enough for the air to leak out.

My mouth might as well have been glued. Not at all my experience except with the cheap Walmart bed pillow.

However, lying almost completely flat like that may provoke mask leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the first things I came across when I ventured on to this forum was the 'tongue suck' technique. I practised it during the day and I've come from being a complete mouth breather to breathing through my nose for the majority of the time. This combined with a cervical collar (to prevent chin droop) made a huge difference to my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 05:10 AM)holden4th Wrote: One of the first things I came across when I ventured on to this forum was the 'tongue suck' technique. I practised it during the day and I've come from being a complete mouth breather to breathing through my nose for the majority of the time. This combined with a cervical collar (to prevent chin droop) made a huge difference to my therapy.

I hope I’m headed in the right direction.

I can see that while sleeping, I’ll get more productive CPAP treatment if my mouth is not open, but it won’t need to pop open if the CPAP is doing it’s thing: very much a chicken egg thing.

My goal is to do whatever it takes to get out of the negative feedback loop and tweak later.

I seem finally to have got the collar, head position, correct size mask pillows, correct bed pillow, and mask leaks figured out. Miracle of all miracles, I actually feel rested this morning.

Now I have to work with lip flap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lip leaking for new users is coming. It should go away with time as you get used to the air flow.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought maybe I'd put in my two cents on the cervical collar.  I had some very good advice from several people on this forum about using the cervical collar and have been wearing one since June or July.  My AHIs dropped like a rock, what a surprise that has been !  Thank you to those people !! Thanks

One thing I have noticed recently though, not to put a wet blanket on this, is that I sometimes wake up with a sore jaw joint (tmj??).  This started a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been every single morning but still . . .

Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 550 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 359 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 535 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 373 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.