Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help-husband wants to buy used resmed S9 autoset
RE: help-husband wants to buy used resmed S9 autoset
(05-30-2012, 08:20 AM)Dawei Wrote: Horriblesleeper--don't be terribly surprised if your hubby's new AutoSet shows that he needs a pressure that's different from the 9cm results of his recent sleep study to get good AHI numbers. At least that's what happened to me. I got an AutoSet following a recent sleep study that showed a pressure in the range of 4-5 cm. higher than what the sleep study said would bring my AHI down to zero. Why? The pulmonologist doesn't know, but I now know it can happen.

Just about everybody with an autopap sees some variability with the maximum pressures needed on a night to night basis. It isn't surprising the sleep lab numbers are so so different, since those numbers are obtained in an artificial setting on only a single night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we all know that a sleep study is a brief snapshot of our sleep pattern, since it's only one night and in a strange environment, as BabyDoc wrote. However, the sleep study results are treated as gospel by the docs when setting a pt.'s CPAP pressure or an APAP pressure range. Kind of weird to me; a $2,400 study that can easily produce bogus results that are accepted as the real deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't believe what ResMed did with their pricing. One used to be able to buy the whole shebang less climate hose for under $700 brand new. Then they cracked their whip and the dealers had to tow the line. No more $650 S9 Autosets. I bought one and a backup as well at that price. I have a germ phobia and hesitate to use anything used.

The only way to clean these things, I believe, and to disinfect them is using an Ozone sterilizer. Don't know what it will do for cigarette smoke. I bought an S8 Autoset II a couple of years back and it was from a smoking household. Fortunately, it turned out to have about 4 hours on it (factory burn-in time BTW) and no smokey smell. Came packed as new.

Love my S9 Autosets. They are dead quiet and very functional. I also suffer from Arial Fibrillation (related most likely) and even with the APAP wake up groggy but once going have little trouble through the day as far as energy and alertness go. Think I need to resolve some sleep HYGIENE issues more so than APAP OSA issues as my AHI is constantly well under 1.0, etc.

Need to get to bed at 11 pm nightly or earlier if possible and get at least 9 or 10 hours of sleep as arthritis and spinal damage pain will wake me up during the night anyway. Need to get the windows shuttered so no 5:30 a.m. light creeps in. Need to get the room a bit cooler for comfort. Need to eliminate noises at night from kids when they are home... creeping downstairs for a snack at 1:00 a.m., etc. No excitement or stress before bedtime (I am going to even kill the 11/10 pm news) or anything that might give me pause for thought. It can wait until morning usually. We installed triple sealed windows at the front of the house so any early morning noises from outside are well muted. We are getting there.......... I gotta get a good night of sleep on a regular basis. When I AM sleeping I am definitely going into REM sleep - I can see my respiration fall off to shallow and long and I have dreams now where before I did not. Vivid dreams that I can often recall. One only dreams in REM or L4 sleep I believe.

A good night of sleep depends on a multitude of factors, resolving of apnea issues is a very good beginning but one needs to resolve sleep hygiene issues as well.

BTW, with the Atrial Fibrillation I have had to ELIMINATE 100% such things as caffeine, MSG, salt, artificial sweeteners, stress, etc., etc. I can say without hesitation that this in itself has improved my quality of sleep but not yet to the extent that I wish.

All these little things help. As far as I am concerned, addressing the apnea issue(s) is just as important for overall health as it is for overall quality of sleep. It is proven to be related to all sorts of health issues - if you have apnea, it needs to be addressed first and foremost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 08:55 AM)Dawei Wrote: ... Kind of weird to me; a $2,400 study that can easily produce bogus results that are accepted as the real deal.

Perhaps, because the sleep study does cost $2400, that it IS accepted so often as the real deal. How else could you justify its cost?

Other than the money to be made from running a sleep lab, and doing additional titration studies, I don't understand why autopap machines aren't the standard of care for people with OSA.

Even if the sleep lab could give reliable data, how long is that data going to be reliable? Over time, whether it is night-to-night or year-to-year, a patient with OSA is probably going to have changing pressure needs. While the patient may recognize those changing needs eventually, his later recognition may come at the expense of his blood pressure, overwork on his heart, and other physiologic abnormalities that are comorbid with poorly treated OSA. Therefore, IMO, with few exceptions, EVERYONE with OSA should be treated with an autoPap machine. It just makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 09:25 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Therefore, IMO, with few exceptions, EVERYONE with OSA should be treated with an autoPap machine. It just makes sense.

While I do agree, I'll still take my old reliable over nothing at all. I can make that comparison since I was "non-compliant" for a number of years. My machine used to keep my wife awake, but as it turned out it was the mask. My new mask is silent unless something gets in front of the exhaust port, then it makes a little noise, but she almost always drops off before me now. But just to be able to stay awake though the course of the day rather than falling asleep at your desk and hope no one noticed, to have your BP return to low numbers, just to wake up feeling good for a change. I'll take that. I'd like lots of things, like a machine that Auto-titrates, gives information besides total number of hours and number of days over 4 hours, that would all be great, but for now, I'm pretty easy to please I guess! Smile
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
help-husband wants to buy used resmed S9 autoset
Hi, I have a new Resmed S9 with humidifier and I can't stand it. Machine is top quality, it is me. New to Cpap usage and I travel a lot plus date. Give me a break. I have nasal tubing and full on face mask and a new machine-attempted use twice.
Annie
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a brand new S9 AutoSet on Craigslist here in Toronto for $650. It came with a Resmed Heated hose rather than the white one they normally come with as well as the case and all it was supposed to come with, plus I also got a brand new Swift FX Wisp Nasal Mask-----we were given a choice from 2 masks.

I saw a slightly used one here in Toronto last week on CL for $350 so they do exist at these prices.

I have ONE question I wonder if anyone has EVER come across any FAKE S9 Machines, or any other FAKE CPAP machines?
I hate to think this but i imagine its only a matter of time since they are becoming such a hot commodity on places such as CL..........
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, in case you read in another thread that the S9 AUTO-SET has an alarm............some one was suggesting i use the alarm to wake myself up when I take my mask of, it does not have one. I have looked and looked for this alarm only to finally look it up today on the internet and now find out it does not exist.........

Only the S9 VPAP does

[Reference removed by Moderator]
Post Reply Post Reply
Annie

If you want to keep dating, you need to stay alive, maybe even long enough to have and raise children and grand children. Breathing, even when you sleep is important to staying alive. depending on the severity of you Apnea, CPAP therapy may be critcal to keep you breathing when you sleep. My sleep study AHI was 84. I am not as much of a gmbler as you may be.

You need to slow down and think about the long term ramifications of your choices. Maybe visit a nursing /rehab facility where they care for stroke victims and alsheimer patients. I have helped care for stroke survivors, including tube feeding and diaper changing. If you think the octopuse on your face is a turn off, try a feeding tube, catheter and diapers.

(07-11-2014, 03:50 PM)anberg11 Wrote: Hi, I have a new Resmed S9 with humidifier and I can't stand it. Machine is top quality, it is me. New to Cpap usage and I travel a lot plus date. Give me a break. I have nasal tubing and full on face mask and a new machine-attempted use twice.
Annie

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2014, 03:50 PM)anberg11 Wrote: Hi, I have a new Resmed S9 with humidifier and I can't stand it. Machine is top quality, it is me. New to Cpap usage and I travel a lot plus date. Give me a break. I have nasal tubing and full on face mask and a new machine-attempted use twice.
Annie

Annie, the moderators had to remove your reference to the sale of your machine. It would be illegal for us to promote the sale because it's a prescription-only item. Thanks for understanding.

I'm going to try to talk you into using your machine. Without it you'll live a sleep-deprived life that drastically lower your ability to enjoy yourself. It'll adversely affect almost every aspect of your life, including romance, career, education, and countless other things.

And you'll die early of a heart attack or stroke.

I understand from my own experience how awful it is to hook up that hose to your face and try to sleep. But I can tell you that being human you have this incredible ability to adapt. When I lie in bed now my mask just feels like a supply line for clean fresh air. It actually feels good!

Sure, there are times when it's a pain, but that's a minor thing, and it's greatly outweighed by the marvelous improvements in the way I'm able to enjoy life when I'm awake.

Without my machine my body wakes me up 23 times per hour, on average, and even though most of those awakenings occur without my awareness, they cause lots of problems in my life. They make it hard, for example, to maintain good relationships with a spouse, family members, co-workers, friends, and encounters with strangers.

I can't imagie what it would be like to go back to life without CPAP therapy.

There are things we can do here to help you adjust your machine and mask so it's more comfortable. We're here to help you because we've all gone through what you're going through now.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,350 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 129 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 194 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 585 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 272 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,301 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 639 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.