Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help, way too many leaks last night
help, way too many leaks last night
Here are my stats from last night --- first frownie face I've received. Way too many leaks. It didn't wake me, which is really unusual. Any insights for me?? Huh

Details Last Session August
CPAP Usage
Average Hours per Night 06:43 06:41
Compliance 100% 86%
Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 7.43 6.94
Obstructive Apnea Index 6.54 5.67
Hypopnea Index 0.15 0.09
Clear Airway Apnea Index 0.30 1.15
Leak Statistics
Average Leak Rate 19.42 5.10
90% Leak Rate 46.80 15.60
% of time above Leak Rate threshold 27.48% 0.99%

Pressure Statistics
Average EPAP 7.87 7.16
Min EPAP 5.00 4.02
Max EPAP 11.00 11.00
Average IPAP 11.87 11.40
90% IPAP 14.62 13.86
Min IPAP 9.00 8.14
Max IPAP 15.00 15.00
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help, way too many leaks last night
Just revisit the basics Clem. Clean all your stuff and go again. I think you're using a chinstrap now?

You can go without major leak issues then for no good reason have a night or two where they get goofy. I don't know if it's because the mask springs a leak or your nose springs a leak.. It just sort of happens. Returning to the basics will solve the issue.

...........You haven't had one of the "nosie rings" installed lately have you?
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean my stuff every day.
I've had several nights of these big leaks now, but no frownie face until yesterday morning. I saw the sleep dr yesterday --- he recommended trying nasal masks such as the pilairo and airfit N10, so I have those here at home to try. I tried them --- not going to work. Back to the pillows.

He also changed the pressure to 5 and 12, instead of 5 and 15. Not much improvement last night. I am really discouraged. He said he will see me again in FEBRUARY.

eta: no chinstrap, as I clench my jaw and grind my teeth; yeah, not good but I do not have any problems with mouth breathing.

Oh, and no "nosie ring" LOL nope, not for me.

I am thinking I need to get into this machine and start playing with settings myself. A few days back someone recommended moving the bottom number up one or two notches --- retired guy? Was it you? I need to figure out how to do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clementine did you try putting in a brand new pillow?
I was having bad leak problems last week and couldn't work it out because I had started with the chinstrap which had improved everything, then all of a sudden leaks appeared again.
Put a brand new pillow on and everything has been great since.
It's worth a shot.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're sure that the leaks aren't coming from mouth breathing, it may be time to replace the nasal pillows. They do become less flexible over time - which increases leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone, for the help so far.
I am frustrated with not knowing what to try next ....

I received a brand new mask a few weeks ago when I had sprung a leak. It seems the tube had a bit of a crack in it. So, I've only had this mask for a few weeks.

I do not know what to do.
Last night I slept in the recliner, used the lanolin, and tightened up the straps a bit. Success. At least, no frownie face, and an AHI of 3.8 (which is the lowest I have had so far). But --- when I sleep in bed I move a lot, and that dislodges the mask.

So, I don't know what to do. Keep sleeping in the recliner?!

eta: I upped the lower pressure this morning from 5 to 6. Someone had suggested that to me some days back .... so we'll see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2014, 11:24 AM)Clementine Wrote: He also changed the pressure to 5 and 12, instead of 5 and 15. Not much improvement last night. I am really discouraged. He said he will see me again in FEBRUARY.

Perfect. By then you'll be a champ and ready to teach him a thing or two.

(08-30-2014, 11:24 AM)Clementine Wrote: eta: no chinstrap, as I clench my jaw and grind my teeth; yeah, not good but I do not have any problems with mouth breathing.

Oh, and no "nosie ring" LOL nope, not for me.

Use the chinstrap. But GENTLY applied. You don't need for it to force your mouth shut. It just creates a little encouragement to do that. You are correct of course in that you don't want to end up clenching your jaw and grinding your teeth. Unless of course they are clenched and grinding on a really good steak.

(08-30-2014, 11:24 AM)Clementine Wrote: I am thinking I need to get into this machine and start playing with settings myself. A few days back someone recommended moving the bottom number up one or two notches --- retired guy? Was it you? I need to figure out how to do this.

Yep. By the DME lowering the top end and you raising the bottom a little you still have a range in which the machine can do it's thing, but not such an extreme range that it will encourage leaks.

(08-31-2014, 11:54 AM)Clementine Wrote: Last night I slept in the recliner, used the lanolin, and tightened up the straps a bit. Success. At least, no frownie face, and an AHI of 3.8 (which is the lowest I have had so far). But --- when I sleep in bed I move a lot, and that dislodges the mask.

So, I don't know what to do. Keep sleeping in the recliner?!

eta: I upped the lower pressure this morning from 5 to 6. Someone had suggested that to me some days back .... so we'll see what happens.

Go to bed. Do the best you can to seat the mask. Do not stress about leaks. If you're getting good sleep and if the apneas are getting under control you're golden. Don't worry about dislodging the mask when you roll over. That's what people are supposed to do. So if/when you wake up, reseat it and go on. (Reseat means to simply lift the pillow away from your face slightly and let it sit back down.)

Post Reply Post Reply
You are doing great Clemintine. You have only been papping since July. I know that seems like forever, but this cpap thing has a big learning curve. By the time you go back to the doctors, you will have ironed out all the kinks. I'm getting closer and I got my new apap in March. You can do it!

one more thought, I wonder if you are sleeping on your back? You did get a much better ahi when you were in a recliner. I never thought I slept on my back, my husband swore I didn't sleep on my back, but when I stared wearing a backpack my ahi went down. Just a thought...
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the help and encouragement. It helps so much!

I sleep on my back, side, on my head, all over the place. LOL I am a mover (with RLS).

So, last night I slept in the recliner in hopes of repeating my previous night's success. Everything the same except for the epap up a notch to 6 --- AHI went up to 7.8, and the leaks went sky high again. WTHeck? <sigh>

I was thinking this morning --- my dr won't see me again until Feb. I have had maybe two nights with an AHI under 5. I have these massive leaks many nights. Why does he not want to see me again until Feb.?!

I guess I AM going to have to get into this machine and get this all figured out myself (with help from this wonderful board).

RG, should I notch up the epap another notch?
Post Reply Post Reply
Clem, I think we need to take a look at your graphs from Sleepyhead for last night. Can you post those please? As a general rule, anytime you change something you want to wait a few days before you change something else. But we need to see what your pressures are doing, exactly what your leak chart is doing, and what the makeup of your OA's vs CA's etc show.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 281 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.