Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help, way too many leaks last night
RE: help, way too many leaks last night
okay, thank you for all the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clementine, so sorry you are getting disillusioned with the whole cpap thing.
Don't worry most of us have been where you are at some point in our journey, I know I have.
I had a bit of trouble finding the right pressure numbers for my P10 and after a lot of chopping and changing I hae finally settled on 9-12.2 with an EPR of 2.
I am only mentioning my numbers as they seem close to yours and we use the same mask.
I have found this pressure very comfortable to sleep with.
Your movement at night could well have a lot to do with your leaks.
You have mentioned that you clench your jaw so can't be a mouth breather but you can still clench your jaws and your lips only have to be a tiny bit apart to let that air flow in and out. Just a thought because I would love for you to get to the bottom of these leaks.

Please don't give up hope yet, it is only early days.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Clementine,

You say that you are sure that you do not leak from your mouth because your jaw is clenched. How do you know that it stays clenched when you are asleep? Another comment.... Having your teeth clenched does not necessarily keep your mouth from leaking.

I had leak graphs a lot worse than yours when I was using a nasal mask and I had been sure that I did not open my mouth when asleep. I never woke up with my mouth wide open and I could keep it leak free as long as I was awake. I also found that I could clench my teeth and lips together and the pressure would overcome my lips and sputter out between them. My feeling about your leak graph on nights that you do not feel any leaks is that you may be mouth leaking. I would try a chin strap.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2014, 02:20 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I still think its the variance in exhale versus inhale that's got your P10 all excited. So I would at least shorten up the pressure support from 4 to 3.

I must second R_G's comment about the potential for reducing leaks with reduced pressure support.

FWIW: with a PS of 4.0, my AHI averaged over 12; with PS at 3.5, my AHI averaged 5.0; with PS at 2.5 (where it's stayed been the last half-year), my AHI averages 2.2 and the leaks are more manageable. YMMV of course.

Post Reply Post Reply
huh. Okay. I'm waiting to hear back from the sleep doc, but will come back to this and maybe play around with the PS. I upped the lower number yesterday to 8 and lowered the top to 12. now 12 and 8
AHI was 5.8 last night (yay--- that's real good for me)

still had a BUNCH of leaks, and it woke me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok... That's the right direction. Now I think if you will continue to modify the range (i.e. set the pressure support to 3) you'll gently slide into that where you need to be place as far as the leaks are concerned as well. If that doesn't work, I understand "Readyforsleep" has an extra banana split all ready to share with you.

Post Reply Post Reply
LOL, well, I'd love a banana split, but I don't want a mucousy throat after that. Makes for not good sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question: If I am opening my mouth at night, would that cause the pillows to move? Because that is what wakes me -- the mask moving and then the resulting rushing air.
(sorry, probably a dumb question)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 12:52 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Ok... That's the right direction. Now I think if you will continue to modify the range (i.e. set the pressure support to 3) you'll gently slide into that where you need to be place as far as the leaks are concerned as well. If that doesn't work, I understand "Readyforsleep" has an extra banana split all ready to share with you.

Sigh...
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 02:10 PM)Clementine Wrote: Question: If I am opening my mouth at night, would that cause the pillows to move? Because that is what wakes me -- the mask moving and then the resulting rushing air.
(sorry, probably a dumb question)

I don't think so. If that were the case the wind tunnel from your mouth would wake you up more so than the pillows. The thing about the pillows dislodging is generally because the mask is too loose, although the P10 is supposed to be merely "gently snug," or because the air pressure suddenly goes through the roof. That, I think, is the problem. Not that it actually does go through the roof but the difference between your low exhale and your inhale is just too much. For others it might be fine, but for you the poor little P10 is trying desperately to hang onto your cute little nose and it is finding itself waving around like an old sock on the clothesline.

That's why I think your happiness lies in reducing the pressure support, and maybe even going to straight CPAP. We'll wait on that one though.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.