Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help, way too many leaks last night
RE: help, way too many leaks last night
Stroppy, We'll just have to wait until some brilliant engineer get a bad case of sleep apnea. Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
That happened. But sadly just as he was about to make a great break though in design technology he fell asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the large mask last night. Yeah, it is too big. Tonight I guess I will try my loaner mask. It is a Swift FX.

[Image: screenshot-20140917-080334_zps8478fec3.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Urgh. So frustrating. GREAT AHI, finally. My lowest AHI yet. But those leaks.
I used my medium mask and started using the lanolin ointment again.

So, should I just be satisfied with the smiley face I get in the morning and not worry about those leaks????

[Image: screenshot-20140920-100015_zps657e095d.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes and No. The smiley is ok but the leaks are still in need some attention. You may need to consult with your DME and show them exactly how you install the mask and how poorly it is performing regarding leakage. You may be doing something so basically wrong that the fix will be simple and all your problems will vanish. It's hard to diagnose something like that without seeing it in person. What we do here is no substitute for expert hands on evaluation and advice.

On the bright side though, your AHI is lower in spite of the leakage. When you get the leaks down, you'll be in sleep heaven.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice, thanks. Will do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck! BTW, Screwing up in the basics is what I'm an expert at. I had my machine set for a nasal mask when it should have been on the pillows mask setting. I just didn't turn the settings knob in both directions to see all the options. Yeah, that's me...basically stupid. It seems to be performing much better on the new setting. Amazing how simple some fixes are...

(Actually none of that's true, I just made it up so I could make you aware of that setting without inferring that you were as dumb as I.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I did discover that my machine was set on nasal mask instead of pillows, some weeks back . . . I think it's been that way since I've had it, so the DME gal must have set it that way accidentally. She was working on the settings as she was showing me the machine.

I did not notice any difference immed after I changed it, though. Wasn't enough of a setting boo-boo to make a difference, apparently.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh well, it was worth mentioning. I should add that when I first put the mask on, I had it upside down. I doubt anyone would go ahead and try to use it that way though. Big Grin

Have you ever ran a leak test while lying awake and not moving around? That could be helpful to show if the mask leaks were a function of your sleep movements. That would be good info to tell your clinician so he/she could perhaps suggest another mask type or whatever.

HTH
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, def worth mentioning so others can check their settings. I find it is so easy to hit the wrong setting when changing . . . it just flips so fast and easily.

I have not done an awake test and maybe I should try that next.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 143 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 504 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 772 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.