Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help with max pressure setting
help with max pressure setting
my sleep study showed mild apnea ..11.5 events/hr (40 OA's , 80 Hypopneas) , snoring 47%, sp02 below 88% for 7.2% of the time, sp02 below 80% for 1.6% of the time.

I seem to be very sensitive to even small leaks.. they wake me up or make me restless.  My deep sleep is sometimes less than 15 minutes per 8 hours of sleep. REM time has increased from 1 hour to 1.5 hours (based my my fitbit )

I've tried many different masks.. full face and nasal.. currently using the P10 with chin strap and cervical collar. I'm a side sleeper but still spend some time on my back.

many nights I have zero events ..  a bad night would be 0.3 AHI's.

seems no matter where I set the max pressure .. the machine will try to come close to it sometime during the night.. and that increases the mask leaks.  AHI's stay the same regardless of pressure.

So, my current settings are: no ramp 8.6 start, 9.6 max with EPR = 3.

with those settings my median pressure is 9.56, 95% is 9.6 

with that as background, have I pushed my luck with lowering the max pressure? should I increase it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help with max pressure setting
With pressures from 8.6 to 9.6 and EPR 3 your pressure seeks the maximum set pressure due to flow limitations. Your AHI is zero, so you clearly don't need more pressure and if you would be more comfortable with lower pressure, just set the minimum and maximum pressure the same. There is nothing in your chart that suggests your current pressure is inadequate. I'm sure if you set a higher maximum pressure the machine would go there because the algorithm is designed to respond to flow limitation this way. The higher pressure has no benefits and makes you uncomfortable, so you did the right thing and could probably go lower if desired.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2022, 04:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With pressures from 8.6 to 9.6 and EPR 3 your pressure seeks the maximum set pressure due to flow limitations. Your AHI is zero, so you clearly don't need more pressure and if you would be more comfortable with lower pressure, just set the minimum and maximum pressure the same.  There is nothing in your chart that suggests  your current pressure is inadequate.  I'm sure if you set a higher maximum pressure the machine would go there because the algorithm is designed to respond to flow limitation this way.  The higher pressure has no benefits and makes you uncomfortable, so you did the right thing and could probably go lower if desired.
thanks for the quick and imformative response.
can you explain how to read the flow limitation chart so I understand where I'm flow limited?
many thanks
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
I look at flow limits charts this way, scale it as a percentage 0-100 with 100% equaling 1 in the chart. Your left panel states your FL had a .22 or 22% of the 99.5% level. This means you had 22% FL or less that session.

Now what you do then is look at the actual flow limits chart. Those black trace lines are about 25% up in scale and span your whole sleep session. That line trace states you're flow limited all night.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To help you with this, I'll refer you back to your own chart. Zoom in on the flow-rate chart so you can see the individual wave-forms. The tops of the waves are probably flattened, showing that the rate of flow is limited. You don't have a severe problem, but it's there, and if you had a more pressure support, it would probably be a lot better. Read this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...limitation

Flow limitation means that your airway restricts or limits the maximum amount of airflow (mL/second) that can pass. It's like a partial kink in a water-hose. If the airway was fully open and compliant, that wave-form would be nicely rounded. You probably would need a Resmed VPAP (bilevel) machine with more than 3 cm of pressure support to fully overcome your flow limitation. EPR works just like bilevel pressure support and this concept is illustrated in the wiki by showing mask pressure and how it affects the flow rate chart. Pressure support comes in to assist your inspiratory respiration effort with the mechanical work of pressure allowing a more normal breath.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2022, 04:58 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I look at flow limits charts this way, scale it as a percentage 0-100 with 100% equaling 1 in the chart. Your left panel states your FL had a .22 or 22% of the 99.5% level. This means you had 22% FL or less that session.

Now what you do then is look at the actual flow limits chart. Those black trace lines are about 25% up in scale and span your whole sleep session. That line trace states you're flow limited all night.

so increasing the max pressure will reduce the flow limit i'm currently seeing on my charts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes that's what you need to resort to, but a better way is with EPR or pressure support to give a differential between exhale and inhale pressures.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2022, 09:00 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Sometimes that's what you need to resort to, but a better way is with EPR or pressure support to give a differential between exhale and inhale pressures.
mine is  set at EPR = 3 and has been almost from the beginning
Post Reply Post Reply
For a lot of users the max is irrelevant in that actual pressure never reaches it and never causes a significant rise in pressure. You are not one of these.
I am totally with Sleep rider on this, you have no need to increase your max pressure at all. The only complaint you have registered is that your pressure goes to your max. In fact you could lower your pressure as by the numbers you are extremely well treated. Ignore these number, but pay attention to how you feel. Do keep on your AHI solely as an indicator to take a deeper look say if you consistently hit AHI 2.5 - 3.0+
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2022, 11:07 AM)Gideon Wrote: For a lot of users the max is irrelevant in that actual pressure never reaches it  and never causes a significant rise in pressure.  You are not one of these.  
I am totally with Sleep rider on this, you have no need to increase your max pressure at all.  The only complaint you have registered is that your pressure goes to your max.  In fact you could lower your pressure as by the numbers you are extremely well treated.  Ignore these number, but pay attention to how you feel.  Do keep on your AHI solely as an indicator to take a deeper look say if you consistently hit AHI 2.5 - 3.0+

appreciate all the help ... very reassuring 
fortunately I've never had an AHI over 0.7 (and that only once and had very large leaks) since I started 4 months ago. AHI 0.0 - 0.3 seems to be my range.

again, thanks to all for the help
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 153 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 383 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,002 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 514 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.