Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help with the c-pap
help with the c-pap
Hi I had another question about the heated tubing and the warming control, I live in a very dry area,and i am not sure my machine is even heating up.And also what is a good humidity for the hose in a dry climate?
I cannot seem to figure how to preheat....I am still confused on this machine.Also it says in the manual one can adjust the heating process I dont seem to be able to get this.
can anyone help?
I saw the sleep dr and he wont lower the pressure of 14 -he says might collapse the airway.I am sooo tired still.I have lost 25 lbs in a month form being ill but its the c-pap thats driving me nuts.I am thinking of paying the 800$ for a sleep study but dr says my apnea is under control.I dont know anymore,I get discouraged and i have been on this since march2012.sometimes I could just cry its so frustrating.you all have been helpful and i am apreciative but I still cant figure the thing out.
thanks
Kayla
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help with the c-pap
The humidity is not a standard thing. Each person and location is different.

If it is very dry, turn the humdifier temp or number all the way up for one night. Fill the tank to its max. If you still have water in the tank the next morning, turn it down a bit and try it for several nights.

If your bedroom is warm, you may not need the climateline. It's job is to prevent condensation by keeping the hose warm.

As for the pre-warm, put the home screen on the screen for the humdity. Then tap the knob button. In the clinician manual, this is discussed on page 14 and 15 of the document (or page 18 and 19 according to the viewing program).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 03:08 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The humidity is not a standard thing. Each person and location is different.

If it is very dry, turn the humdifier temp or number all the way up for one night. Fill the tank to its max. If you still have water in the tank the next morning, turn it down a bit and try it for several nights.

If your bedroom is warm, you may not need the climateline. It's job is to prevent condensation by keeping the hose warm.

As for the pre-warm, put the home screen on the screen for the humdity. Then tap the knob button. In the clinician manual, this is discussed on page 14 and 15 of the document (or page 18 and 19 according to the viewing program).

thank you ,my room is warm but dry here so I will try it at max but I ALWAYS RUN out of water...always,dont know why about 4 hrs and no water-and I probly dont need the climateline but isnt it more comfortable?
also I have a ramp of 5 mins only.doesnt seem long enough.
ty kindly for the info
Kayla
Post Reply Post Reply
humidity is individual preference, you need to find what best works for you. everyone is different, for me humidity more than just comfort
its integral part of the therapy

[Image: promo_slimline-tube.jpg]
Adjusting humidity level and Warming the H5i (see page 6)
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

[Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]
Climate Control modes: Auto and Manual (see page 2)
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Using mask-fit (see page 7) reply to your question in the other thread

are you using your autoset on auto 14-19 as in your profile or at fixed pressure set at 14

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 03:21 AM)kayla Wrote: thank you ,my room is warm but dry here so I will try it at max but I ALWAYS RUN out of water...always,dont know why about 4 hrs and no water-and I probly dont need the climateline but isnt it more comfortable?
also I have a ramp of 5 mins only.doesnt seem long enough.
ty kindly for the info
Kayla

If you are running out of water then turn it down. Too much humidity is as bad as too little.

The Climateline hose is for preventing rainout. Rainout is when water condenses inside the hose, pools up in a low spot, and make a loud gurgling sound. Annoying as heck. By keeping the hose warm, the water does not condense. This is the same as when you take a cold Coke can from the fridge. The can is colder than the air so the water in the air condenses on the outside of the can. With CPAP hoses, the air inside the hose is warmer (and wet) than the hose so the water cools off and the condensation forms.

Some people say the air getting to the mask is warmer with the climateline. I've never noticed a difference. I use it solely to prevent rainout from waking me up in the middle of the night.

The ramp has nothing to do with the humidity. Ramp and warm up are two different things.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your room humidity is very low. Specially in winter. (being in Canada and all)
What I would start with is to go by Walmart and get a small room temperature and humidity display.
They are made by Accurite. It reads out the current temperature and humidity.
It also shows the highest and lowest values that have been reached in the last 24 hours.

If your humidity is below 35% it's too low. You'll have chapped lips & dry skin problems.
(your CPAP water supply will run out very fast)

If the humidity is higher than 50% it's too high mold starts to grow in the house and you need a de-humidifier.
(your CPAP water will hardly get used at all, all night)

I suspect that your problem is temperature and humidity are too low around the house.
and you might need a humidifier to get the humidity up to up to about 40-45%.

What PaulaO2 said about the heated hose is right. If the room is really cold you might even need a hose cover to keep the heat in the hose and prevent the condensation (rain out).
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 03:38 AM)zonk Wrote: humidity is individual preference, you need to find what best works for you. everyone is different, for me humidity more than just comfort
its integral part of the therapy

[Image: promo_slimline-tube.jpg]
Adjusting humidity level and Warming the H5i (see page 6)

[Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]
Climate Control modes: Auto and Manual (see page 2)
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Using mask-fit (see page 7) reply to your question in the other thread

are you using your autoset on auto 14-19 as in your profile or at fixed pressure set at 14

thank you ,yes using autoset14-20 .Thank you for the info.You are very kind.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 09:11 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Sounds like your room humidity is very low. Specially in winter. (being in Canada and all)
What I would start with is to go by Walmart and get a small room temperature and humidity display.
They are made by Accurite. It reads out the current temperature and humidity.
It also shows the highest and lowest values that have been reached in the last 24 hours.

If your humidity is below 35% it's too low. You'll have chapped lips & dry skin problems.
(your CPAP water supply will run out very fast)

If the humidity is higher than 50% it's too high mold starts to grow in the house and you need a de-humidifier.
(your CPAP water will hardly get used at all, all night)

I suspect that your problem is temperature and humidity are too low around the house.
and you might need a humidifier to get the humidity up to up to about 40-45%.

What PaulaO2 said about the heated hose is right. If the room is really cold you might even need a hose cover to keep the heat in the hose and prevent the condensation (rain out).

yes I have a humidifier in my room but it makes it too humid.I have a cat so I keep the door closed.I will try the thing from walmart.
thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah I see.
If you have one of those table top humidifiers, those are usually unregulated.
That could be getting the place too much of a good thing.
The little temp/humidity display is only about $8. That should help track down the issue.
It's a bit like the 3 bears, you dont want too little, or too much. You want it "just right"

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 02:49 AM)kayla Wrote: I saw the sleep dr and he wont lower the pressure of 14 -he says might collapse the airway.I am sooo tired still.I have lost 25 lbs in a month form being ill but its the c-pap thats driving me nuts.I am thinking of paying the 800$ for a sleep study but dr says my apnea is under control.I dont know anymore,I get discouraged and i have been on this since march2012.sometimes I could just cry its so frustrating.you all have been helpful and i am apreciative but I still cant figure the thing out.
thanks
Kayla

Kayla
One way to determine if your apnea is under control is to use the software that works with your machine. Your profile shows that you have it. It should give you a lot of information about how well your treatment is working.
If needed you can then make the necessary adjustments to improve your treatment or you will have the proof to show your doctor how it is working.
I do not use the S9 or the S9 software but there are a number of people on this forum who can help you with your software. Most people are responding about your humidity problem. You could make another post and just ask about your software and treatment questions.
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.