Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

high Hypopnea and raised AHI
high Hypopnea and raised AHI
Hello All, I have been on CPAP now for 4 months. My average AHI over 4 months is between 7-8, which seems high. When evaluating my data with Sleepy head software - I only have about 3-5 OA events per night but my Hypopnea seems to be quite high - normally around 15-20 evens per night. But I do sleep much better now on CPAP than When I did not have it - sleep test showed a 34.4 AHI under sleep lab conditions.

Other than controlling mask leaks (using a FFM and chin strap) I do not know what else I can do to reduce the AHI or the Hypopnea.

Also I note that with the SLeepy Head software - that my flow chart some periods where no data is collected. No idea why.

Any recommendations or advise would be appreciated.

Buffalo Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: high Hypopnea and raised AHI
You were formerly stationed at Ramstein Air Base?

You might lower the Hypos by sleeping on your side; or a slight raise in pressure. You have an auto with a pressure range set to 6 to 16 cm-H2O. Look at sleepyhead to see where your pressure is at just prior to hypos. If near the low end, raise the 6 a bit.

Es ist 1700 Uhr in Kaiserslautern.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect if you look at the data closely you will see the hypopneas all occur at lower pressure. Look for the minimum pressure that seems to extinguish them, and set the machine minimum to that that. You probably don't have to adjust maximum pressure, unless you see the machine reaching that threshold often, and unable to stop OA. Hypopneas are responsive to small increases in pressure, and that approach will probably solve this.

For periods of no flow data, are there large leaks?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your headgear. If it is at all stretched out or you have to tighten more and more, You may need new headgear. MY AHI was slowly rising with lots of hypopneas and when I got new headgear and straps my AHI dropped back down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 11:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I suspect if you look at the data closely you will see the hypopneas all occur at lower pressure. Look for the minimum pressure that seems to extinguish them, and set the machine minimum to that that. You probably don't have to adjust maximum pressure, unless you see the machine reaching that threshold often, and unable to stop OA. Hypopneas are responsive to small increases in pressure, and that approach will probably solve this.

For periods of no flow data, are there large leaks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all.
Will take a look and see at what pressure my Hypos begin and then make adjustments to the minimum pressure settings. Unfortunately due to spinal problems I have to sleep on my back and can not sleep on my side.

Buffalo Bob

Yes - I was stationed at Ramstein on active duty for 6 years and then 20 years more as a contractor and Govt service.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 10:59 AM)justMongo Wrote: You were formerly stationed at Ramstein Air Base?

You might lower the Hypos by sleeping on your side; or a slight raise in pressure. You have an auto with a pressure range set to 6 to 16 cm-H2O. Look at sleepyhead to see where your pressure is at just prior to hypos. If near the low end, raise the 6 a bit.

Es ist 1700 Uhr in Kaiserslautern.

Thanks Just Mongo. I raised the lower pressure setting from 6 to 8 and now I have 50% less Hypos. Thanks for the suggestion.

Buffalo Bob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 294 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 111 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 134 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 193 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 181 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] My sleep dr raised pressure to 16 Vickil 4 209 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.