Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] ResScan Read and understand?
RE: ResScan Read and understand?
(01-11-2014, 12:26 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:16 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:11 PM)Lukie Wrote: Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.
My leaks are less and my AHI is much better with the nasal mask which I use with a ruby red chin strap.

Well I have a mustache and the tech didn't think it would work.

The nasal mask just covers your nose and the pillows inside your nose. I don't know if a mustache will affect it but it is worth a try and the nasal mask and pillows are a whole lot less expensive. You can get a new cushion every month (2 nasal mask cushion, 2 nasal pillow cushions or 1 ffm cushion) if you want to. Every 3 months, if you want to, you can get a new frame and cushion. Every 6 months, if you want to, you can get a new headgear according to medicare guidelines which most insurance companies follow. If you don't have insurance, then it is up to you and what you can afford as to when you replace your supplies.

I do want to try one and I am going to call on Monday. I have ordered a hose hanger with the hopes it also helps keeping the leaks down.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day . First post here, and new user, but I have a goatee with mustache and during trials with the hired S9 my leak rate was ridiculous with nano and full face. In order to stop fur leakage I pulled the straps so tight it closed my sinuses at the side of my nose. Bought 3 masks with my own unit....one was the cushions that sit on your nostrils and doesn't have a mask as such. What a revelation! Hardly know I'm wearing it. Even the fan noise seems quieter due to less volume maybe (or imagination). It uses the water in the humidifier tank slower, and my leak rates.... Median is 0.0...95th percentile is 2.4......maximum of 6. No tube hanger, or anything. 8-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2014, 06:45 AM)ozzydudemike Wrote: G'day . First post here, and new user, but I have a goatee with mustache and during trials with the hired S9 my leak rate was ridiculous with nano and full face. In order to stop fur leakage I pulled the straps so tight it closed my sinuses at the side of my nose. Bought 3 masks with my own unit....one was the cushions that sit on your nostrils and doesn't have a mask as such. What a revelation! Hardly know I'm wearing it. Even the fan noise seems quieter due to less volume maybe (or imagination). It uses the water in the humidifier tank slower, and my leak rates.... Median is 0.0...95th percentile is 2.4......maximum of 6. No tube hanger, or anything. 8-)

Yea I tried the pillows and they irritate my nostrils with a burning sensation. Can't tolerate them. But they did work well as far as the best leak scores as of yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2014, 12:05 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Yea I tried the pillows and they irritate my nostrils with a burning sensation. Can't tolerate them. But they did work well as far as the best leak scores as of yet.

Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2014, 12:17 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 12:05 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Yea I tried the pillows and they irritate my nostrils with a burning sensation. Can't tolerate them. But they did work well as far as the best leak scores as of yet.

Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?

No but now that u mentioned it I will. Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2014, 09:58 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 12:17 PM)JohnNJ Wrote: Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?
Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.

I could be mistaken but I don't think it is a good idea to have petroleum based product like Vaseline come in contact with a mask cushion/pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 01:19 AM)Surly Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 09:58 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 12:17 PM)JohnNJ Wrote: Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?
Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.

I could be mistaken but I don't think it is a good idea to have petroleum based product like Vaseline come in contact with a mask cushion/pillow.

According to info sheet received in welcome to CPAP kit from clinic , "petroleum ointments such as Vaseline or Mentholatum in the nose are not to be used when using CPAP therapy since these ointments can be forced into the lungs and lead to lipoid Pneumonia"
"alternatives that do not contain any petroleum-based products and may be purchased from any pharmacy: normal saline spray, KY Jelly, Secaris ( nasal Gel),Rhinaris ( gel or spray) Hydrasense - gentle nozzle ( especially if you have allergies)"
So please check it out with Dr./pharmacy/therapist
Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 09:03 AM)3porpoise Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 01:19 AM)Surly Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 09:58 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.

According to info sheet received in welcome to CPAP kit from clinic , "petroleum ointments such as Vaseline or Mentholatum in the nose are not to be used when using CPAP therapy since these ointments can be forced into the lungs and lead to lipoid Pneumonia"
"alternatives that do not contain any petroleum-based products and may be purchased from any pharmacy: normal saline spray, KY Jelly, Secaris ( nasal Gel),Rhinaris ( gel or spray) Hydrasense - gentle nozzle ( especially if you have allergies)"
So please check it out with Dr./pharmacy/therapist
Hope this helps.

Yes you are right vasiline should not be used.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2014, 06:45 AM)ozzydudemike Wrote: Bought 3 masks with my own unit...
Hi ozzydudemike, welcome aboard
FYI, suppliers #2 and #10 ship to Australia and prices cheaper than local ones
I get my supplies once a year to save on shipping costs from #10 but you need to know mask type and size
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 12:26 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:16 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:11 PM)Lukie Wrote: Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.
My leaks are less and my AHI is much better with the nasal mask which I use with a ruby red chin strap.

Well I have a mustache and the tech didn't think it would work.

The nasal mask just covers your nose and the pillows inside your nose. I don't know if a mustache will affect it but it is worth a try and the nasal mask and pillows are a whole lot less expensive. You can get a new cushion every month (2 nasal mask cushion, 2 nasal pillow cushions or 1 ffm cushion) if you want to. Every 3 months, if you want to, you can get a new frame and cushion. Every 6 months, if you want to, you can get a new headgear according to medicare guidelines which most insurance companies follow. If you don't have insurance, then it is up to you and what you can afford as to when you replace your supplies.

Ok so now I have tried a nasal mask with my mustache and it works fine no leaks. But for some reason still irritates me. I guess I'll just stay with full face but try a different brand.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 88 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 983 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 254 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 285 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 426 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.