Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

high pressure
RE: high pressure
There is Smart Start/Stop but it seems to not be as smart as advertised, sometimes stopping if it doesn't sense airflow for a set number of seconds. Some had suffered from unintentional stop and restart actions.

Just my opinion, but address what causes your PAP feeling the need for your high pressure periods and it won't make you feel like you need to turn it off then back on.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last night's data.  reduced max to 14 and min to 8 but changed min to 7 because it was more tolerable.  Another restless night's sleep, but for what it's worth, my AHI is low

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
From 02:20-02:40 a cluster of Apnea events probably ruined that session. From there, 5 sleep sessions that total 3 hours 58 minutes probably isn't helping gaining a well rested state.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
that cluster is validating the "chin-tucking, consider the soft cervical collar, see the link in my signature for a deeper dive and examples.

try a max of 12
Also consider dropping the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2022, 09:46 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Just my opinion, but address what causes your PAP feeling the need for your high pressure periods and it won't make you feel like you need to turn it off then back on.

Sorry if I'm being dim, but is it ever appropriate for the machine to deliver high pressure when you're awake?

I accept that high pressure will sometimes be required when I'm asleep.

Since I know the machine can't really tell when I'm awake, what I want is a big, red "reset" button on top, that immediately sets the pressure back to minimum. I know from looking at OSCAR that it will be back up again soon enough -- when I'm actually asleep. Fiddling for the little on/off switch in the dark and freezing cold is a bit of a drag.

Of course, if there's a good reason to deliver high pressure when you're actually awake, what I'm asking for makes no sense.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered a Releaf collar last week and should have it by Fri.  I turned on ramp because I was having trouble falling asleep last night and did not need the distraction of more air noise.  With min at 5 or 6 it does not bother me too much but 7 or 8 it is more noticable
Post Reply Post Reply
if you still want the ramp in there, try setting it just below your normal minimum. Since you switched back to 7, it looks like you purposely set the ramp on. I would set the ramp start at 6.0 and see if you still feel as comfortable. I am guessing that you feel more comfortable due to EPR of 0 at ramp starting at 4.0, not because 8 is too high. But the idea here is to reduce your snoring as quickly as possible so you can drop off to sleep quicker. I am guessing 6.0 for ramp start will significantly reduce the snores at start.

I am in favor of reducing the max pressure to 14, and even 13 or 12 to meet the "normal" conditions that started to reappear once the machine settled down (see about at 02:52 on Jan 4 chart). The maximum is just meant to be low enough that you don't get jerked awake by the heightened pressure. You will eventually get used to slightly higher pressures and the awakening will not occur.

Let's keep adjusting the start pressures and head position to reduce the random periods of snore and severe flow limitations and monitor results with Oscar charts.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2022, 10:35 AM)desaturator Wrote: Sorry if I'm being dim, but is it ever appropriate for the machine to deliver high pressure when you're awake?

No, you're not being dim.

The machine can't really tell if you're awake or asleep. It can guesstimate it using autoramp but for me, it always kicked in almost immediately so I just gave up with it.

If the pressure is rising while you're awake, then it's sensing something to cause it to rise - usually that would be flow limits but it could be unintentional breathing gaps that look like apneas to the machine, because it can't tell if you're holding your breath deliberately or actually asleep and obstructed/having a central apnea. So it's just going to react according to it's algorithm.

It depends how awake you were. If you were fully awake, it'd be interesting to see that section of chart on your thread, but if you were in that half awake, half drowsy state, then it's probably just that as your brain and body get ready for sleep. 

The big red button you ask for is, I'm afraid, the on/of button. If it's any help, practice at finding it with your eyes closed makes it pretty easy to find eventually (as long as it's within reach).
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2022, 01:27 PM)Ratchick Wrote: The big red button you ask for is, I'm afraid, the on/of button. If it's any help, practice at finding it with your eyes closed makes it pretty easy to find eventually (as long as it's within reach).

Yeah. With all the other things I'm currently worried about, I won't increase my stress level any further by obsession about having to press a button twice, rather than once.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
addressing positional chin tucking (and the flow limitation & oa that results) will likely help keep high pressure at bay. otherwise, the way to deal with too-frequent runaway pressure is to restrict max pressure. if that results in other problems like increased oa, one has to either find a satisfactorily happy medium or move to a more capable modality (bilevel, for example).
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 699 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.