Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

home oxygen concentrator
home oxygen concentrator
Does anyone know anything about the sharing of a home oxygen concentrator between 2 people at same time? Double the settings, or leave them at current settings?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: home oxygen concentrator
I'd think that sharing an oxygen concentrator wouldn't be a good idea. Both patients are likely to need different air settings, which I'd believe makes it a bad plan.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: home oxygen concentrator
I agree with Dave, it's not a good idea. Assuming it could generate enough oxygen for two people, and have the flow (pressure) to feed two people, the only way I could see it working is if each hose had it's own regulator to adjust flow and combined would not exceed the flow rate of the machine. If the machine broke down, you would both be without the oxygen.

Most home concentrators can deliver 5 liters per minute (lpm) up to 10 lpm of oxygen. The 10 lpm machines are of course more expensive. Keeping the machine at a high flow rate could make servicing and replacing the zeolite sieve bed or pellets quicker. That's the 'stuff' that absorbs the nitrogen from the air leaving mostly oxygen behind. I remember it costing me over $100 to have it serviced. Insurance did not pay for servicing for whatever reason.

I don't recall what brand I had but the one I had got hot. Partly due to the zeolite but mainly from compressing the air. When I was on one, I had to buy a real long air hose and keep it in another room because it would overheat the bedroom. Making sleeping uncomfortable. Might be good in winter if you live where it gets cold. Also they are noisy. If you have a hard time sleeping with the sounds of a CPAP machine, just wait until you hear the darth vader effect of a concentrator.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Joys of home ownership AlanE 185 16,431 03-03-2020, 04:53 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Shorter nickname for "Oxygen Concentrator" MichaelWD64 2 309 06-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Cool O2 Concentrator: Recommendations for Purchase? kiwii 5 1,116 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Oxygen concentrator repair. E.W. 2 761 01-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Vietnam MIA comes home to Texas justMongo 5 1,570 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Home Automation AlanE 21 4,475 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.