Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

home sleep study problem
home sleep study problem
I just tried to do my first sleep study, but i couldn't sleep because of the device. Specifically because the tubes that go up my nose block my air passage too much. Is there anyone that had this problem? If you can't sleep in the first place, can you even be diagnosed with sleep apnea? Is there anything i can do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: home sleep study problem
You might ask for a Rx for a single use sleeping aid / pill. You can probably get it with a phone call to your doctor's office. Do the test. You can do this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had a massive problem getting through the sleep study, honestly I don't know how they get anything useful out of those things. I just muddled and tossed and turned as best I could and they managed to get enough data to diagnose me.
Post Reply Post Reply
The initial phase of testing is usually to determine if one has sleep apnea.
For that, I am not aware of tubes up the nose. There is a breathing sensor attached just under the nose.

Perhaps you were actually on a CPAP machine doing a titration. They may have had a nasal pillows mask on you. The size of the nasal pillow may have been too small.

If you could describe the "setup" they were using, perhaps the problem lies there.
Most people do have difficulty sleeping during the test. It's one reason these studies often result in less than optimal therapy -- they rush the titration.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2016, 11:06 AM)justMongo Wrote: The initial phase of testing is usually to determine if one has sleep apnea. For that, I am not aware of tubes up the nose. There is a breathing sensor attached just under the nose.

Perhaps you were actually on a CPAP machine doing a titration. They may have had a nasal pillows mask on you. The size of the nasal pillow may have been too small.

Pretty sure this is a nasal cannula which is S.O.P. for monitoring breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi garretdl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with figuring out your sleep problems.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 114 34 minutes ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.