Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

home test for centrals?
home test for centrals?
Is there a home test I can take for centals? I didn't like the sleep lap I went to because they were very noisy and could not sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: home test for centrals?
Not that I am aware of.  To fully diagnose Centrals you need the EEG to pick up your brain waves.
Sleep labs do this both with and without CPAP

That said your autoset should give an adequate representation.  Obviously this is under CPAP pressure.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: home test for centrals?
(10-29-2018, 10:45 AM)jerry1967 Wrote: Is there a home test I can take for centals? I didn't like the sleep lap I went to because they were very noisy and could not sleep.

Yes, a basic 4+ channel Type III home sleep test can differentiate between obstructive apneas and central apneas. To do this, the sleep test uses a nasal cannula flow sensor to detect when you aren't breathing - which is the case with both central and obstructive apneas. The test will typically also use 1 or 2 "effort bands" that go around your chest and abdomen to detect whether you are expanding them to inhale. If you exhibit respiratory effort but aren't inhaling air for 10 seconds or more, then that can be scored as obstructive apnea - you are trying to breath in but can't because your airway is obstructed. If you do not exhibit respiratory effort when you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more that shows your body isn't trying to breathe and the apnea can be classified as a central apnea rather than obstructive.

A home test that does not include at least one effort band usually cannot distinguish between obstructive and central apneas. One exception to this is the wrist worn WatchPAT Central PLUS with finger sensor and chest worn accelerometer sensor which can distinguish between obstructive apneas and central apneas, but does not use a nasal cannula or effort bands. It uses a special method of detecting "Peripheral Arterial Tone" from the finger sensor and can infer obstructive apnea, central apnea and respiratory disturbance from that data.

An EEG is not required to distinguish the difference between obstructive apnea and central apneas. The EEG is used to score your sleep stages. Neither obstructive or central events count as sleep apnea (towards your AHI) unless you are asleep. But there could be data in the EEG related to central apnea scoring that I'm unfamiliar with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 93 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 381 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,795 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 119 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,911 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 131 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.