Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

C stand as hose hanger
C stand as hose hanger
@StratCat48 convinced me to try a hose hanger to reduce the weight of the hose while sleeping. I have only had it for one night, but I really like it; less tangling and less weight.  

I had a C-stand already (which is a very heavy duty highly adjustable light stand used in film/video work, also called a Century stand, ~$150-200 new).  And I already had some corrugated plastic wire loom tubing.  So I was able to put together a hose hanger with what I had laying around the house.  I am amazed at how the cpap tubing slides through much more easily than it ever did when I tried hanging it on the bed board.  This makes it easy to adjust cpap hose tension with eyes closed, to get the feeling of weightless tubing.

I found it more comfortable to sleep my back without the weight of the hose pulling the mask off to the side.  Although back sleeping is not ideal for how it causes the tongue to fall down the airway, it can be the only position that allows lighter less substantial nasal masks to not get knocked off when side sleeping.  

I wanted to share since although it's not pretty, this system seems more solid, out-of-the-way, and unlikely to scratch the bed than most of the purpose-built hose hangers I have seen online.  The legs of the C-stand can adjust to be flat against the wall, although I chose to have it slightly away from the wall so the it wouldn't scratch the wall.  Also, if you get a C-stand make sure you learn the right hand rule so the arm doesn't untighten itself and fall on you:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:...tands.webm

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: C stand as hose hanger
Well done on the improvisation and having the tubing overhead does make it much easier to roll from side to side Thumbs-up-2

After seeing what you did I probably could have given one of my three legged microphone stands with a short boom arm a try!! I do as well have a variety of light stands from when I was doing portraiture photography. The one I do have from popular seller "A" hasn't shown any sign of wear on the headboard of the bed and if there was a concern, the upright part could have something wrapped on it for protection.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for sharing, another great idea.

When I was in hospital with CPAP for 3 days the drip-stand for IVI lines worked great too!

I use something similar, a Microphone Stand with boom arm etc and it is great for taking the weight of the hose. Hardly feel the weight of the hose at all. The base is cast iron and round so fits easily between mattress and head board.  Interesting to see how we all solve our individual problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
To really increase the comfort level, cover that plastic tubing with a fleece cover like the Snuggle Skins. It makes everything softer, quieter and warmer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using an IV stand as a hose "suspender" for close to 15 years. A buddy got one for home IV therapy, rented. He was done with it, and when he called to have them pick it up, they told him to throw it away, wasn't worth it to pick it up. It has two arms for IV bags, and the hose just fits in the loop, kinda snaps in and then runs free. Way more comfortable, to me, than allowing the hose to drag. It does require a longer hose than standard, I think I got a 6' one. Gotta replace it. the rubber connectors are stretched out and I have to tape the mask in place.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,553 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.