Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hot blooded need cold air.
RE: hot blooded need cold air.
Just dropping by to say I understand about needing cool air. I have the problem that when it is too hot it feels like I'm suffocating. Perhaps it does make veins in my nostrils swell so I can't breathe in as well. In my case, I solve it by sleeping with the window open, but it cools off here fast at night, which is not your case. Take from it that your wish to get cool air is not crazy, but of course pay attention to what the others are pointing out. Your high ahi seems a main issue. My ahi went up too when the air was too hot, but not by that much.
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went to sleep doc said was down to 10 or 12 ahi down from 114 so said was a lot better but didn't sleep long enuff said he couldn't do anything for the need for cold air, told him all I do and things tried, he gave me trazodone cause I can't stay asleep. I did try a water jug with PVC thru it packed in ice but no luck with that, may try something like it in a different way. Hope the pills work tonite. Still using ice in water tray getting two hours then wake up with mask thrown off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went to sleep doc said was down to 10 or 12 ahi down from 114 so said was a lot better but didn't sleep long enuff said he couldn't do anything for the need for cold air, told him all I do and things tried, he gave me trazodone cause I can't stay asleep. I did try a water jug with PVC thru it packed in ice but no luck with that, may try something like it in a different way. Hope the pills work tonite. Still using ice in water tray getting two hours then wake up with mask thrown off.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ac is on 72°, I'll have to check that temp, humidity I don't no but its not bad here compared with other places I've lived. I tried two other nasal only masks one nite got over 4 hrs then like normal I took mask off after 2 hrs and before 3 hrs. Going to see if I can get a hybrid mask for equipment supplier. Took trazodone last nite sleep great but thru mask off like normal between 2 & 3 hrs. Sleep for 7.5 hours straight moved a few times but didnt get out of bed or really wake up nice its been 15 months since I've done that. The numbers off machine was best yet no leaks under five on ahi. Did have mask on tight as hell and that sucked it wouldn't quit leaking til I cranked it down very tight. May try dorm fridge thing as last resort. Thanks for trying to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi; I also long for cool air to enter my body, and my resmed certainly makes the air warmer, not cooler. I contemplated a small fridge in my room and place the pump in there with the door slightly open. Haven't taken that action yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have dropped my humidifier setting since I got my new machine to 3. I was using 6 on my old machine and the air was warm. I did not particularly care for that but needed the humidity. With the new machine set at 3, I get nice cool air coming into the face mask.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 08:05 AM)tvkmez11 Wrote: Hi; I also long for cool air to enter my body, and my resmed certainly makes the air warmer, not cooler. I contemplated a small fridge in my room and place the pump in there with the door slightly open. Haven't taken that action yet.
Hi tvkmez11,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is something you can try but you may need a longer hose or sleep closer to the machine. Get a small Styrofoam cooler. The cheapie one. cut a hole near the top just big enough for your hose to run thru. put regular bag ice in the cooler run your hose thru the holes on each end you cut near the top with maybe having a loose loop of hose in the cooler and put the top on on the cooler.

Not sure how it will effect rainout but ive rigged a small fan on top of one of those coolers and cut a hole for a 4 inch air tube in the side and made tent AC out of it that worked pretty well. Same principle cost about 7 bucks to try it if it dont work toss cooler LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, man!

I wish my cpap had a chilled air feature rather than a heated humidifier.

Now y'all got me thinking up some kind of Rube Goldberg system where I could build an arbox and install a small radiator in it pumping chilled water through the core and attaching the hose from the cpap to one side of the box and to my nose on the other!

I don't like being cold in the winter but I do love bracing cold winter air!

OMM

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:That just makes it hotter.
A dehumidifier turns 100% of the energy it uses into heat in your room.
An air conditioner does the same thing, but sends the heat it makes outdoors.
A couple of things need clarifying here...
1. A fan does not cool, it circulates air
2. A refrigerated air conditioner doesn't make heat. It is a heat pump. That is, it takes the heat from the room and pumps it outside. The little bit of heat generated by its machinery is dissipated outside too. Water vapour from the room condenses on the evaporator & is piped outside also, thus dehumidifying the room.
3. Bags of silica gel would dehumidify a room too, but then the bags would need to be dried out. in W.Tx they could simply be left in the sun. This would be one solution. Silica gel bags are available at chandlers stores.
4. Turbinates inside our noses are there to humidify, filter and warm inspired air. If this air is made colder, the turbinates will engorge with blood, warming the air as well as restricting nasal air flow. It seems our lungs do not like cold air.
5. A heated device used to dry the air is of no use in this case.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 819 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,234 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 882 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 945 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.