Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Air Leaks
Large Air Leaks
Nine nights on CPAP and about half of those I got enough large air leaks for my AirSense 10 to give me a frowny face. Those large leaks have ranged from 14% to 46%.

The good news and my main question is: My AHI has ranged from about 2.5 to 6.5 for the past four nights. Do the large air leaks render my other stats as bogus or are the other stats still reliable?

One footnote. It occurred to me that pillow friction was an issue with my AirFit10 nasal pillows. I remembered decades back that my wife had satin pillow cases to keep her hair from getting so messed up after a trip to the beauty shop. I went and bought one and the three nights I remembered to use it I did noticeably better with my Airfit 10 needing readjusted through the night. I have and AirFit "for her" coming. It may also help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Air Leaks
Large leaks will impact the machine's ability to accurately assess your breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The part I am confused about is the source of my large Air Leaks (LAL). My AirFit 10 seem to be staying in place better with the satin pillow case and my LAL have dropped but I think they need to be better.

If I open my mouth and air escapes would that be a source of a leak that the AirSense 10 would record as a LAL? I am not aware I am doing this but I suspect I might be. If that is a potential source then I will try a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, mouth breathing or mouth leaking can be a part of the leakage.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
If the mask is staying in place, your mouth would be the next logical suspect. Do you ever wake up with a dry mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 3 86 3 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Lots of Large Leak Lately LazerStallion 0 42 8 hours ago
Last Post: LazerStallion
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 73 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 464 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 302 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 385 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 547 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.