Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how can I reduce mask leaks?
how can I reduce mask leaks?
I'm using an AirSense 11, my fourth machine after nearly 20 years on CPAP. I never miss a night unless I'm on a red-eye flight. Every morning my new (since January) machine tells me that my full face mask seal was "great." But when I use OSCAR to look at the details, I find that I sometimes have very high leak rates. Typically I have around 10 percent of time in "large leak," but some days it's up to 32 percent in "large leak." 

What gives? I'm very rarely aware of leaks. I feel that I sleep very well almost every night. I always sleep on my side, so it seems easy to press the mask into the pillow and pry it away from my face. No doubt that's how the leaks are happening, but most of the time I don't notice. 

Should I care about the leak rate? The DME merchant sent me a robocall telling me that my leak rate was "too high" and that I needed to consult my doctor about it. Of course, I didn't.

My AHI has diminished over the years and now is often less than 1.0. 

Am I a case of the worried well?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how can I reduce mask leaks?
Have you looked at the earlier data, did OSCAR show leaks since the beginning?

Is the mask getting older and Resmed is more sensitive to leaks combination I am hoping the machine realizes you are wearing a full mask. I am assuming the setting is set for the full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only started using OSCAR a week or so ago, because that's when my machine lost its cellular signal. I then bought an SD card so as to have data for my sleep doctor. So no long-term data. The CPAP machine is set for a full face mask, and I replaced the cushion less than a week ago.

All good points, but my puzzlement remains.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

My girlfriend is using the same mask. First point would be if these leaks do not disturb you, it is probably a sufficient reason to just forget about it. Go as you are : comfortable and with great therapy results.

One thing that may help you would be to have your ramp and minimum pressure as high as possible. The idea is that the seal may be good at 4 or 5 during the ramp but add 8 more cm and it will break. If you are properly sealed at say 9 (like my girlfriend) and that your minimum is 9.6, the seal has a much better chance to stay strong enough after ramp time.

Her minimum is 9.6 because within minutes, the machine always increase pressure in the 10.x and she never drop back in the 9.x. With that, she deal with the sealing before falling asleep and once gone, the seal usually remains sealed.

Another idea would be to put your head at the very edge of the pillow, so your mask is over empty space. That will avoid side pressure on it.

Good luck,
Post Reply Post Reply
Boyce

One other thought, if this is the same mask as a previous machine maybe OSCAR sees this machine data differently. Last time I was looking at what machines OSCAR can be used with I think it was not fully tested or something like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an excellent mask fit tutorial. Give it a shot and see if it helps.

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 352 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.