Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help to find supplier. Canadian in US
RE: Help to find supplier. Canadian in US
(08-09-2014, 06:14 PM)vsheline Wrote: In the USA, should be no need for prescription if paying out of pocket for mask parts. I think prescription only needed when buying an entire mask.
By law, prescription is required to purchase an entire mask
But same law say, prescription is not required if you purchase mask without headgear and the headgear separately
No common sense, the law is an a** Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 06:23 PM)zonk Wrote: By law, prescription is required to purchase an entire mask
But same law say, prescription is not required if you purchase mask without headgear and the headgear separately
No common sense, the law is an a** Too-funny

Actually the law in the U.S. is clear that CPAP masks require a prescription and can only be sold by a licenced DME.

That same law is silent on the selling of the individual parts that make up a complete CPAP mask. Some DMEs seem to think that the law's silence equates to making the sale of a complete mask that is disassembled completely legal without a prescription. I personally think that is a dubious and risky assumption, which is why on Apnea Board, we take the safe route and do not allow Apnea Board to be used to facilitate the sale, trade or transfer of CPAP masks or CPAP mask parts between private parties (where the seller is not a licensed DME).

If the FDA wanted to go after those selling CPAP mask parts without having a prescription on file, they would probably have the legal grounds to act against such sales. Here at Apnea Board, we cannot afford to retain legal council should the FDA decide to take legal action against such private sales, so therefore we take the safer route of disallowing it.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Searched for FDA regulations and comes with stuff only a lawyer can understand

Anyway on-line DME seem to be in agreement of the following:

Items that DO NOT require a copy of prescription.

1- CPAP Masks without headgear: These include everything except the headgear straps (remember you can add the headgear to make a complete CPAP mask)
2- CPAP Mask Parts: Cushions, Headgear, Accessories
3- CPAP Machine Parts: CPAP Hose/Tubing, Filters, Water Chambers, Parts, etc.
4- Comfort Items: Tube covers, moisturizers, comfort pads, etc

Items that Do require a copy of prescription before your order can ship.

1- Sleep Therapy Devices: CPAP machines, BiPAP machines, Oxygen Concentrators, etc.
2- Humidifiers: Heated CPAP and BiPAP Humidifiers.
3- Complete Assembled CPAP Masks: All CPAP and BiPAP masks that are fully assembled and labeled RX required.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 03:00 PM)zonk Wrote: I've just google it 'Nashua CPAP'
There few suppliers listed in 'Yellow pages'

I ended up finding 2 this way. Called them yesterday morning. One didn't seem to understand, turns out they only carry one brand and mostly things like chi straps. The second one only sold full masks and thus required an Rx. However I asked if they knew of anywhere else I could try and they gave me a number for Keene. They had it in stock and I picked one up,,

It was so nice to get a good sleep after 3 crappy nights.

Thanks for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,640 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 214 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 500 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,324 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 354 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 358 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 498 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.