Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how do i slow down the surges?
how do i slow down the surges?
My ResMed S9 is surging faster than I breathe.  How do I slow this down?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how do i slow down he surges?
I don’t know if the s9 has this but it is calls ti max and min. This is what is in wiki on this site. BTW the s10 does have this. 

Respiratory cycle determination

Determination of the inspiratory and expiratory cycles is essential not only to provide bilevel PAP but also for expiratory pressure relief and determination of inspiratory flow limitation in auto algorithms. The start of inspiration is marked by a switch from negative to positive flow (relative to baseline). The point at which the flow signal switches from positive to negative flow is the start of expiration. SV and some auto devices use more continuous respiratory cycle determination. ResMed’s servoventilator microprocessor uses fuzzy inference rules looking at the flow rate (relative to mean flow), direction, and size to determine the phase of the respiratory cycle9 (Table 1). Respironics’ servoventilator determines the length of inspiration and expiration of recent breaths to predict the future breath duration and divides the breaths into short time segments (64 ms) to determine the expected mid-inspiration and other points of the cycle.10
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Which parameter in the settings should I change, and which direction to slow down the surges?
Post Reply Post Reply
Might be a trial and error. But you can go back and change it again, no big deal. If I were guessing I would think min.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey, this is the S9 VPAP Adapt which is the ASV. There are only pressure settings.

fdashiell, we need to know your current settings for mode, EPAP min, EPAP max, PS min, PS max. It would be more helpful if you would download and install the free OSCAR program which will give us the settings as well as detailed therapy information. Finally, are you treating complex or central apnea or some other condition? Why are you using the VPAP adapt?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it too much too soon on the inhale, or is the exhale overlaping onto your next breath?
It makes a difference as to which parameter is adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sleeprider
Post Reply Post Reply
sleeprider --- I have uploaded a screenshot of OSCAR data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
bonjour --- the surges are coming at least 2x my normal breathing rate. The next surge is way too close to the finidh of the previous surge.  Can you tell me the parameters for each of the scenarios that you outlined.  Thanks.

sleeprider

My current diagnosis 9/1/2020 is OSA,  It was CSA, thats why I have the unit I have. Doc rec 11cm CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
The summary statistics show your recent night was using CPAP mode at a pressure of 11.0. Prior to that you used ASVauto mode with EPAP min 5.0 and PS 3.0 to 10.0. It appears your EPAP max is about 9.0 cm based on the summary statistics. It will be very helpful if you can post a daily details chart as shown in the how to organize your Oscar charts wiki, so we can see some clues from your detailed results and especially your respiratory rate, tidal volume and minute vent. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization Note that there are two different views you can set in the View Menu, Standard and Advanced. Both of those views will be useful in evaluating your ASV. The Standard view will show events, flow rate, pressure, leaks, flow limitations, and the Advanced view will show events, flow rate, mask pressure, tidal volume and minute vent.

Your S9 VPAP Adapt has no settings to affect the respiratory timing or volume. It targets maintaining your respiratory rate and volume by using the previous 90 seconds of therapy as a target to maintain respiration. A machine that feels like it is pacing too fast is usually the result of starting therapy before your respiration rate has time to settle down from being away. The more rapid, deeper breathing as you begin to use the machine becomes a target rate and volume that is not needed as you approach a sleep state. It is important to give yourself time when you go to bed for respiration to settle before putting on the mask. There are several things you can do to control and tame the machine. First, you should be sure you are relaxed and breathing has normalized before putting on the mask. Second, you can do what many ASV users call the "blow-back technique". When the machine feels like it is not in sync, use a couple assertive blow-backs to reset the machine that you are spontaneously controlling the breath rate. While we don't normally like ramp with ASV, it is a way to get past the sleep transition where respiration can be more chaotic, so using a ramp of 20 minutes may help.

The ASV is designed to follow your spontaneous breathing rate and to start backup breaths when that rate in breaths per minute falls 20% below the previous 90 second rate. Similarly, it applies more pressure support to maintain the minute vent (air volume in L/min). In CPAP mode which you tried on October 3, no pressure support is used, and you only receive fixed pressure. Using CPAP your AHI was near 5.0 and presumably that is because you have central apnea that are not treated by CPAP. Your results with ASV are clearly better.

Before making some setting suggestions for improving your comfort with ASV auto mode, I'd like to see some detailed charts from your prior use of ASV auto. Meanwhile, keep in mind how this machine works, why your are experiencing poor sync, and what you can do to control it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  long slow decay in inspiratory flow rate cathyf 3 719 06-24-2021, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  [CPAP] Air surges ckuttner 3 1,158 02-25-2021, 01:42 AM
Last Post: kappa
  New Member - Central Apneas of Just Slow Breathing? Coach43 8 1,539 03-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Slow Cooker? [for disinfecting masks or hose] HalfAsleep 27 7,948 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAP Slow To Respond? Hojo 5 1,532 09-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  Questions about stage 3/4 slow wave sleep Melman 9 1,972 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Last Post: KCFLY
  Dr too slow? Go to the hospital? dd777 28 5,921 03-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.