Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how does anyone sleep with these masks
RE: how does anyone sleep with these masks
(11-10-2015, 04:51 PM)Dagmar Wrote: Don't give up! You've received great advice already and you can try different masks to see which one is right for you. I've just completed my 3 months compliance and can't imagine sleeping without CPAP. It's not that I love wearing a mask and chin strap to bed, but because I feel much better. I would not want to go back to feeling like I did before CPAP therapy. You might learn more about the mask trial program some suppliers have where you can try masks until you find the right one. Hopefully your DME would do that for you but if not, I'd recommend taking matters into your own hands and find the right mask, whatever it takes.

Thanks, I did just order a nasal mask from Amazon today, figured I would try something different.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome I_will_never_sleep_again to our great forum!! Glad you found us!!

Sounds like you are now in a better mind set and trying to work on things. As others have said, stick with it cause the alternative although it might not happen right away is death. Seems like an easy decision to me! Smile
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2015, 03:51 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: Tried mask tonight for 6 hours, never fell asleep.

This is exactly what I experienced at first. Lying there - seemingly all night - trying to fall asleep but too focused on and aware of the crazy mask and the #@$% hose! What finally worked for me was taking my mind off that stuff by lying in bed, lights out, listening to an interesting podcast at low volume. This is something I often did pre-cpap and would always fall asleep and realize in the morning that I missed most of the podcast. This worked great for me to get used to the mask as my mind was distracted from it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:55 PM)CHanlon Wrote: What I found was that I could easily tolerate higher pressure, if the machine was smart enough to back off on pressure as I started to rouse.

Maybe you're tolerating the higher pressure because it only occurs when you're in the deepest stages of sleep. That's when your muscles relax the most. The pressure starts to drop when your breathing pattern shows no signs of flow limitation.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, it took me a couple of different masks to find out which was best for me. And then a few weeks to get really used to it. Sadly, it is something I think you will have to work your way through. Some great suggestions have been made. Just stick at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still haven't slept 10 minutes with mask, each night I try and fail. Tried a wisp mask last night. Epic fail. My wife said let me try so I can see what all the bitching is about. She slept for an hour with no problems on her first try. Why is this so hard for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 09:07 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: Still haven't slept 10 minutes with mask, each night I try and fail. Tried a wisp mask last night. Epic fail. My wife said let me try so I can see what all the bitching is about. She slept for an hour with no problems on her first try. Why is this so hard for me?

Some people tolerate it well, some don't. She happens to be one who does, you happen to be one who doesn't.

Why do you give up after only ten minutes?

Apparently you haven't yet convinced yourself that going without the device will be your demise. As long as that's the case, you'll keep taking it off.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 09:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-14-2015, 09:07 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: Still haven't slept 10 minutes with mask, each night I try and fail. Tried a wisp mask last night. Epic fail. My wife said let me try so I can see what all the bitching is about. She slept for an hour with no problems on her first try. Why is this so hard for me?

Some people tolerate it well, some don't. She happens to be one who does, you happen to be one who doesn't.

Why do you give up after only ten minutes?

Apparently you haven't yet convinced yourself that going without the device will be your demise. As long as that's the case, you'll keep taking it off.

I have tried it for 3 plus hours with no sleep. I really want this to work. I guess I keep reaching out hoping for a magic bullet. Maybe I need some kind of sleeping pill. I have avoided medication my whole life, but maybe that day is over.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 09:48 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I have tried it for 3 plus hours with no sleep. I really want this to work. I guess I keep reaching out hoping for a magic bullet. Maybe I need some kind of sleeping pill. I have avoided medication my whole life, but maybe that day is over.

There's no shame in needing sleeping pills. It's a temporary measure. I have some, but I only take them when absolutely necessary.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 09:52 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-14-2015, 09:48 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I have tried it for 3 plus hours with no sleep. I really want this to work. I guess I keep reaching out hoping for a magic bullet. Maybe I need some kind of sleeping pill. I have avoided medication my whole life, but maybe that day is over.

There's no shame in needing sleeping pills. It's a temporary measure. I have some, but I only take them when absolutely necessary.

Thank you, I really do appreciate any advice or tips. This forum has already given me hope. I am not negative about this, just so frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 349 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.