Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how does anyone sleep with these masks
how does anyone sleep with these masks
I just started 5 days ago. I haven't been able to sleep more than 5 minutes with mask on. I think this will never work for me. I was looking forward to really sleeping, but now I have decided some bad sleep is better than no sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how does anyone sleep with these masks
Before I started I thought the same thing. I'm an extremely light sleeper who cannot tolerate things like lumps in pillows, etc. I also found a lot of advice online to be unhelpful, for example, to wear your mask as much as possible. For me the key was to not put the mask on until I am on the verge of sleep, and to start using it on a weekend.

To me, to only put the mask on when on the verge of sleep, associated the mask with sleep in my mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

I think just about everyone on this site has experienced the same thing. It is not natural to sleep with plastic covering half your face and all these things over and around your skull.. Please give it some time and you will get used to it. Some tips that others have done is to use the machine and wear the mask when you are awake watching TV or sitting up in bed reading a book. Not only will this help you to get used to the mask but will also count towards your compliance if you are currently under that condition.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
You may wish to try several masks. Setting Expiratory Pressure Relief (lowering of pressure during exhale) may help.
Set up your entire sleep environment for success.

BTW -- which model respironics do you have? Remove the water tank and look for a number on the bottom.
If it says 560, you have a "60 series machine." It would be useful to add that to your profile.

Kindest Regards,
Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:19 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Before I started I thought the same thing. I'm an extremely light sleeper who cannot tolerate things like lumps in pillows, etc. I also found a lot of advice online to be unhelpful, for example, to wear your mask as much as possible. For me the key was to not put the mask on until I am on the verge of sleep, and to start using it on a weekend.

To me, to only put the mask on when on the verge of sleep, associated the mask with sleep in my mind.

Thanks, any info might help
If I happen to open my mouth, I feel like a dog riding in a car with it's head out the window. I am thinking my pressure is too high, but don't know enough yet to know the symptoms of too much pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:14 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I just started 5 days ago. I haven't been able to sleep more than 5 minutes with mask on. I think this will never work for me. I was looking forward to really sleeping, but now I have decided some bad sleep is better than no sleep.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

How does one decide to give up after only 5 days???
It's just not acceptable to give up. You obviously haven't read many threads in this forum on the negative effects of untreated sleep apnea.

If your mask isn't working for you, try another. There are not many of us here that had instant results. You need to give it time. I think you are looking for help or you would not have joined this forum.

So, let's start over.....
Tonight, take your CPAP out to your living room, put on your mask, turn on CPAP, and either read or watch TV for awhile. Then try going back to bed with it.
This may help you to adapt sooner.

Note: If moving CPAP, empty water first!

Can you fill out your profile with the exact machine you are using? There are many Respiornics cpap's.
Are you using a straight CPAP, or an auto CPAP? Thanks.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:34 AM)AlanE Wrote: Welcome

I think just about everyone on this site has experienced the same thing. It is not natural to sleep with plastic covering half your face and all these things over and around your skull.. Please give it some time and you will get used to it. Some tips that others have done is to use the machine and wear the mask when you are awake watching TV or sitting up in bed reading a book. Not only will this help you to get used to the mask but will also count towards your compliance if you are currently under that condition.

Thanks, I am supposed to wear it at least 4 hours or insurance doesn't cover it, with a 5k deductible they never cover anything anyway.
The first night I had it on for 4 hours, never went to sleep. Next night I tried for 2 hours, same results. Last night 38 min before getting rid of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope you can get used to it, I think it will be worth it. I've been on CPAP since 2006. Still remember how great sleep was my first night using CPAP. Back then far fewer selections with "Bricks". On, Off, Humidity or not. And sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I've destroyed a mask ripping it from my face dreaming I was suffocating. Trying not to do that anymore. . .can be an expensive dream. Personally, I think CPAP is a horrid solution to the problem, but it is a solution. Stick with it. It will be worth it.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
See, in the few minutes that you signed on here, there are several members ready and willing to help you. Wink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started on CPAP, I was in denial. As a result, I took the mask off and went back to sleep without it due to any thing I could use as an excuse. One of the things that bothered me a lot was that as soon as I put anything on my face things on my face started to itch and of course with the mask on I couldn't scratch them. Another bother was things that tickled under the mask. I had to learn to calm myself and relax and wait it out and magically these bothers would go away but it took some time and forbearance.

Stick with it. Commit to being successful. The result is well worth it and may well extend your life.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 3 76 2 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 243 3 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,742 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 519 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 224 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 444 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.