Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how does anyone sleep with these masks
RE: how does anyone sleep with these masks
16 is a pretty high pressure, especially if it is a fixed pressure and not the top of a range for an auto --- and if you truly need 16 you should be getting evaluated for a bilevel machine! Some results from your sleepstudy and titration might be helpful for giving more targeted advice.

That said, the Amara View seems to be a mask people either love or really really hate. You should try others!

You need to get back with your providers (RT, DOC) they want you to be compliant, and right now you are a compliance risk. There is likely a lot of room for improvement.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:46 AM)OpalRose Wrote: See, in the few minutes that you signed on here, there are several members ready and willing to help you. Wink

Thank you, any info is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:50 AM)DariaVader Wrote: 16 is a pretty high pressure, especially if it is a fixed pressure and not the top of a range for an auto --- and if you truly need 16 you should be getting evaluated for a bilevel machine! Some results from your sleepstudy and titration might be helpful for giving more targeted advice.

That said, the Amara View seems to be a mask people either love or really really hate. You should try others!

You need to get back with your providers (RT, DOC) they want you to be compliant, and right now you are a compliance risk. There is likely a lot of room for improvement.

They haven't given me my results yet, going back to Dr on the 19th
My machine is constant pressure. I wonder if I messed up by drinking too much alcohol before sleep study. I figured that was the only way I would be able to sleep in the lab.

Post Reply Post Reply
Starting out with a 16 cm H2O setting is tough. Like you, I had a rough time tolerating the mask at all until I lowered the pressure down to 8 cm and wore the mask only during the day while reading or watching TV. In short time, I was able to raise the pressure up to my required level for proper therapy. It only took about a week to get to the point where the pressure wasn't bothersome. It was like all of a sudden I got interested in something else and forgot I had the mask on.

The key is, do it while awake so that all the anxiety is dispelled and confidence is built to the point that your body trusts the therapy. Trust me, it'll work.

I would have sworn that I could never tolerate this device but now I am not only tolerant of it, I actually like the refreshing flow of air it provides since it means I will wake up refreshed in the morning. BTW, I have emphysema and that was another reason I figured I wouldn't be able to accept this therapy. I figured my weak lungs would never tolerate any back pressure. I was wrong. Actually breathing against pressure holds the alveoli open longer and improves lung function.

The discomfort of the mask is another issue altogether. Once you can accept the pressure, your present mask may be just fine. If not, you can try others until you find one that is acceptable. It's standard practice that you can get 30-day free returns if not satisfied.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
there are two types of settings on a machine, therapy settings and comfort settings, please get the clinicians manual and tell us what all the settings are, even if you don't yet know what they are all about. Some of the comfort settings might be making this even more difficult than it already is.

Some times it takes a while to get used to CPAP, so the Doctor typically sets the next visit for 30 days. This is not carved in stone. If you are truly unable to tolerate the therapy let the Doctor know and they may call you in sooner. There are things that the Doctor can do to help. They want you to give it a good try, but they do not want to torture you. (well most Dr's of course)

Also a Little confused your machine is listed as a Respironics Airsense 10 elite, Resmed makes the Airsense line not Respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 01:06 PM)PoolQ Wrote: there are two types of settings on a machine, therapy settings and comfort settings, please get the clinicians manual and tell us what all the settings are, even if you don't yet know what they are all about. Some of the comfort settings might be making this even more difficult than it already is.

Some times it takes a while to get used to CPAP, so the Doctor typically sets the next visit for 30 days. This is not carved in stone. If you are truly unable to tolerate the therapy let the Doctor know and they may call you in sooner. There are things that the Doctor can do to help. They want you to give it a good try, but they do not want to torture you. (well most Dr's of course)

Sorry about that, I corrected it in my profile. I had the mask name in my head I guess. See what no sleep does to you. Sunday I played golf with 3 other guys and on hole 18 when we got back to the cart I had my club in one hand and the flag in the other. Lol

Also a Little confused your machine is listed as a Respironics Airsense 10 elite, Resmed makes the Airsense line not Respironics.

Post Reply Post Reply
Does your machine have a removable SD card? If so I suggest you install SleepyHead. Then you can see exactly what machine you have and fix your profile so we can actually help you. Smile
If you use certain Windose the card needs to be locked prior to inserting in your computer.!
See http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...o-Computer

Examples:

My machine as copied from SH statistics page. (2 lines combined Serial# deleted)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex (760P) Rise Time x2 Auto Bi-Level (Variable PS) Min EPAP 10.0 Max IPAP 16.0 PS 2.0-6.0 (cmH2O)
Philips Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex (760P) 5/1/15 11/8/15

Wife's machine as copied from SH statistics page. (2 lines combined Serial# deleted)
AutoSet (37028) EPR: Full Time 3cmH2O APAP Min 5 Max 10 (cmH2O)
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (37028) 8/28/15 11/6/15

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:14 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I just started 5 days ago. I haven't been able to sleep more than 5 minutes with mask on. I think this will never work for me. I was looking forward to really sleeping, but now I have decided some bad sleep is better than no sleep.
Are you pushing the ramp feature to start off on a lower pressure? I see your pressure is 16, by using the ramp you can lower your pressure for 5-45 minutes. Try increasing your ramp to 45 minutes, this will help ease you into that pressure of 16. As others have mentioned, try reading a book or watching TV to help you acclimate to the mask and pressure. Most people take 2 to 4 weeks of nightly usage to acclimate. Each night wear it as long as you can, but once you have had enough, quit for the night, but try again the very next night. It took me 2 and a half weeks before I could use mine all night long. Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:50 AM)DariaVader Wrote: 16 is a pretty high pressure, especially if it is a fixed pressure and not the top of a range for an auto --- and if you truly need 16 you should be getting evaluated for a bilevel machine! Some results from your sleepstudy and titration might be helpful for giving more targeted advice.

I'm quoting DV here because she hits a couple of good points.
When pressure exceeds 14 cm-H2O, a bilevel machine is generally needed to provide ample respiratory relief.

Ask for copies of your sleep study and your prescription. The Rx will come in handy should you wish to buy a prescription item online.

Let your doc know you are struggling -- the doc may change the Rx or request a different machine be issued.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to try a nasal mask first. I found that I could easily transition to a full-face mask after using a nasal mask for a while. I then found that I no longer needed the FF mask and went back to the nasal type. Things just work like that in the CPAP world.

I have gotten to the point that I can't tell whether the mask is on or not. Once the padding reaches body temperature, I can't feel it at all. That my friend is CPAP nirvana. Once you achieve it - and you will achieve it - you will sleep blissfully. I also have found that it is easier to breathe with the CPAP than without it. Having a small bit of pressure inflating the airway is really cool.

You may also want to change your screen name. Yours is just about the most negative and depressing name possible for a sleep apnea forum. It will take some time, but pretty soon that name won't apply anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.