Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how does anyone sleep with these masks
RE: how does anyone sleep with these masks
Agreeing with everyone so far.
I would push for a different machine and prescription.
I would/did push for nothing less than an AUTO CPAP. Today that could be an Airsense Autoset for her (yes, I know you are a him) or a Phillips Respironics Dream Station or 560.
That will allow your machine to help you auto titrate by using software every night.

You may also want to try a different mask. I have a collection of more than a dozen masks. I tried an Amara View for a few minutes, expecting to love it. I did not. I borrowed one to try before placing an order.
Post Reply Post Reply
at pressures over 12, I don't think the "For Her" algorithm is useful. Seems I remember reading that it's action at over 12 is to keep trying to drop back faster than would be optimal for someone who needs the higher pressure.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I_will_never_sleep_again,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but don’t give up on it, it does get better over time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:36 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: If I happen to open my mouth, I feel like a dog riding in a car with it's head out the window. I am thinking my pressure is too high, but don't know enough yet to know the symptoms of too much pressure.

I know that feeling all too well. It's a weird contraption to have to get used to, but fortunately the human body can adapt and pretty soon you don't know the thing is on.

The alternative is to CPAP is worse than CPAP, it's death! You are fighting for your life here. Commit to sleeping only with the machine and mask on, otherwise you'll never adapt.

Your machine should display the pressure on its screen.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:34 AM)AlanE Wrote: Welcome

I think just about everyone on this site has experienced the same thing.

I didn't. At least, not I'm my first 3 weeks. I started with an autoset, and a nasal mask, slept 9.5 hours the first night, never moved. 95th percentile pressure was 18. Over 3 weeks. After that they gave me a fixed cpap set at 18. I hated it. Even with the ramp set at 45 minutes, as soon as I stated to doze off, the mask would fly off my face, is get aggravated, and on the second night I swore I'd never accept a fixed cpap.

(08-03-1974, 01:50 PM)DariaVader Wrote: 16 is a pretty high pressure, especially if it is a fixed pressure and not the top of a range for an auto --- and if you truly need 16 you should be getting evaluated for a bilevel machine!

It's high, but it can be managed with an autoset, if it's done properly. My fixed number was eventual set at 16, but using my autoset, set at 12 to 20, most weeks I have at least a couple of 19s in my data.

I think this be better off with at the very least, an autoset machine, with a pressure range set. What I found was that I could easily tolerate higher pressure, if the machine was smart enough to back off on pressure as I started to rouse.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for the advice. At least now when I see my Doctor on the 19th I will have some good questions for him and won't feel like I am in the dark.
Tried mask tonight for 6 hours, never fell asleep. I am giving up till I see the Dr. It's almost 4am and I am going back to bed mask free so I get at least 2 hours of sleep tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 11:14 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I just started 5 days ago. I haven't been able to sleep more than 5 minutes with mask on. I think this will never work for me. I was looking forward to really sleeping, but now I have decided some bad sleep is better than no sleep.

Try a resmed P10 nasal pillow mask. It doesn't cover anything except the holes on the bottom of your nose.

Your DME should swap it out for free if you're unhappy with your current mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I woke up this morning disappointed that I had taken the mask off last night and fell asleep.

Then I felt my face (or opened my mouth a little bit to see if my cheeks inflated) and realized I hadn't.

So yeah, it does get better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know what you mean... I've had to put my hand in front of the exhaust to see if there is really air moving. :-)

I've gotten so used to the machine that I actually can't sleep without it at all, now. I start of uneasy, and notice every time an apnea occurs as I'm nodding off. Given that I lived with SA for years, untreated, because I didn't think it was that bad, and I personally never noticed it, it says a lot that they wake me up now if I try to sleep without my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't give up! You've received great advice already and you can try different masks to see which one is right for you. I've just completed my 3 months compliance and can't imagine sleeping without CPAP. It's not that I love wearing a mask and chin strap to bed, but because I feel much better. I would not want to go back to feeling like I did before CPAP therapy. You might learn more about the mask trial program some suppliers have where you can try masks until you find the right one. Hopefully your DME would do that for you but if not, I'd recommend taking matters into your own hands and find the right mask, whatever it takes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.