Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how importanat are the leaks, if all else is good?
RE: how importanat are the leaks, if all else is good?
Wow...this is far too techical for me just yet. Thought I was doing good knowing what AHI and EPR are....lol. Looks like the general concensus is...that my stats are very good, and especially combined with feeling good. Sleepster, I will give your cream a try if needed. I am thinking with everything good so far, I will continue to use the extra small until it is no longer pliable, then will switch to the size small that they gave me, and that I know is a better fit for me. I have fed my hose through the iron work on my headboard and that helped a lot, but now with my "slimline" hose, I doubt I even really need that, as I seem to have no weight pulling on my nasal pillows anymore. And I think I will forget about a different mask as long as my nose holds up to the pillows. I had looked at some at my providers that were like a gel and looked very comfortable. But, with me being a tummy sleeper, I can see now that it would be even harder to keep a good fit, especially when I roll from side to sode a lot. Thanks so much for all the info. What a great board we have here!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 04:50 PM)kitley Wrote: The only thing is...how would I know what size fits best? And, actually for that matter how would my provider know...cuz once it is opened it can't be returned to her?

Well now there's the rub! As an example, I just got a new Swift LT (nasla pillows) and it came with L, M & S pillows. I found the mediums were fine. Less leaks than the others. I have used a different type of nasal pillows before that are no longer made and the first ones I got were in L, M & S and, again, I found the medium to be a good fit. I started with a Nasal Mask and I found the Medium was a good fit. It's kinda one of those things that you have to try a few different things and you will get a feel for it. I would have no issues buying a mask on-line because I am apparently Joe Average! I would of course order a medium of whatever and figure it would work. If I am wrong, let's say I got one of those whole face things, it could be an expensive call, but once you know what you take, order the cheapest ones! Just my 2 cents!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 05:27 PM)kitley Wrote: I am thinking with everything good so far, I will continue to use the extra small until it is no longer pliable, then will switch to the size small that they gave me, and that I know is a better fit for me.

If the small fits better why don't you start using it now? Some people have reported that they last a long time. I switch mine when I feel like it because my insurance pays for the replacements, but I've yet to wear one out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 05:46 PM)mjbearit Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 04:50 PM)kitley Wrote: The only thing is...how would I know what size fits best? And, actually for that matter how would my provider know...cuz once it is opened it can't be returned to her?

Well now there's the rub! As an example, I just got a new Swift LT (nasla pillows) and it came with L, M & S pillows. I found the mediums were fine. Less leaks than the others. I have used a different type of nasal pillows before that are no longer made and the first ones I got were in L, M & S and, again, I found the medium to be a good fit. I started with a Nasal Mask and I found the Medium was a good fit. It's kinda one of those things that you have to try a few different things and you will get a feel for it. I would have no issues buying a mask on-line because I am apparently Joe Average! I would of course order a medium of whatever and figure it would work. If I am wrong, let's say I got one of those whole face things, it could be an expensive call, but once you know what you take, order the cheapest ones! Just my 2 cents!
Your 2 cents sound like good advice. Think for now I have decided to stay with the pillows, since I know the correct size, I will check the price on line, to see how the price compares to that of my provider.
Hi MJ...yo
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 07:43 AM)kitley Wrote: Think for now I have decided to stay with the pillows, since I know the correct size, I will check the price on line, to see how the price compares to that of my provider.

Don't forget to check eBay. With all due respect to our provider list, the prices for pillows on eBay are much lower than anyplace else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 09:45 AM)JJJ Wrote: Don't forget to check eBay. With all due respect to our provider list, the prices for pillows on eBay are much lower than anyplace else.

Just make sure you check the feedback and rating of the seller on eBay, since anyone, anywhere can sell on eBay. Make sure you're purchasing from an established and reputable buyer.

But there are a lot of good deals on eBay from reputable sellers... just have to be a bit more careful, that's all.

Good advice JJJ.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 09:45 AM)JJJ Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 07:43 AM)kitley Wrote: Think for now I have decided to stay with the pillows, since I know the correct size, I will check the price on line, to see how the price compares to that of my provider.

Don't forget to check eBay. With all due respect to our provider list, the prices for pillows on eBay are much lower than anyplace else.

Thanks for the reminder.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 09:07 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 05:27 PM)kitley Wrote: I am thinking with everything good so far, I will continue to use the extra small until it is no longer pliable, then will switch to the size small that they gave me, and that I know is a better fit for me.

If the small fits better why don't you start using it now? Some people have reported that they last a long time. I switch mine when I feel like it because my insurance pays for the replacements, but I've yet to wear one out.

Mine don't seem to last so long...less than 6 weeks for the first one, and the extra small I am using now is about 2 or 3 weeks old,,,and already the pillow part seems to be losing its pliability. At my suppliers suggestion I am trying not to wear any lotion around the nose area...ugh. She says I should get 4 to 6 months out of one.

Post Reply Post Reply
HPA lanolin is not a lotion. And it could extend the life of your nasal pillows!
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 07:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote: HPA lanolin is not a lotion. And it could extend the life of your nasal pillows!

Thanks Sleepster. I plan on buying some today. Lanolin is often an ingredient is some lotions, so maybe it won't hurt to put a bit around my nose as well as inside. Had a terrible time with leaks last night, though AHI was still only 1.4. The leaks woke me up a lot, and my gear was even more brittle then the night before. I think I will email my provider and see if there is a product I can buy to rub on it, that will help keep it pliable,as well. I soak it once a week in dove soap and water, and rinse well...I wonder if every day would help preserve it? This will make two pillows I have gone through in 9 weeks...ten if I can manage to get another week out of it. Must be something with my skin! Or, I wonder if there are expirary dates on them at all...the distilled water they gave me had expired a year previously. They knew and checked with the vendor, who said it wouln't hurt to use it...so who knows huh?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.