Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how long did it take to get your machine from the medical supply company?
RE: how long did it take to get your machine from the medical supply company?
Not sure really, I think it's the non-therapy habit of only sleeping for 2-3 hrs and waking for a while. I just have to rebuild the habit of not removing mask and shutting off the blower. I was close to eliminating that upon stopping use with the BiPap. But very seriously, I don't have an answer for the why. I can state the ResMed is more comfortable despite the ASV vs BiPap. I like it much better, but I have to quit taking the mask off. Trust me, I will get there soon. I ain't quitting.
Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear your sleep is so broken up.

Must be awful.

Maybe you can adjust the ramp time to fall asleep again during the night.

It helps me fall asleep again.

Don't know if your breathing pattern is the same as mine, but I breathe slower and slower until I fall asleep.

Once I'm asleep, my breathing speeds up to around 20 per min. so the ASV just does minor corrections.

But as I'm falling asleep, when my breath rate slows below 15/min., the ASV has a nasty blast of air up to 21.

It wakes me up just as I'm drifting off.

It doesn't do that while in ramp mode, so I adjust it between 30 - 45 min so I can fall asleep depending on how sleepy I am.

Another indicator is my oximeter pulse rate.

When I'm drifting off it's in the high 60s, but when I'm really sleepy and will fall right back to sleep, it's in the 50s.

I use pulse rate to adjust ramp time so I'm asleep before it times out, and my breath rate is fast enough to keep the ASV from blasting again.

BTW, in case you're wondering why I don't just keep it on 45 min., it's because my apnea gets worse before the ASV kicks in if I wait too long.

The apnea wakes me up too, if it gets bad.

The ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV really works wonders for me, because once it takes over, it regulates the apnea without needing a blast of 21.

I can see from the sleepyhead charts that it nudges my breathing if I try to go into a slower breathing pattern through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
My situation sounds similar except I'm thinking I'm breathing faster and shallower until sleep transition. I'm going to use ramp time of maybe 15 tonight and see how that works.

FWIW bad back pain interrupts everything even sleep. Got appt Friday for spinal stimulant test. Maybe that helps sleeping too.

Best to ya

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OH, back pain too.

Sorry to hear that.

There is a chance you can get a longer sleep time if the ASV works for you.

A couple weeks ago, I must have jammed my hand under the pillow during the night.

The oximeter sensor gave me a huge blister.

Slept right through it.

Sure hurt in the morning though!

Keep at it.

Sleeprider is right, the ASV is a godsend for folks like us with central sleep conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. I'll get it soon enough. After the fight to get ASV there's no way I'm giving up. I have adjustments to make, pillows, cervical collar, etc as well. But I'm trying not to change too many at once either. To a great afternoon...
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb and Dave, you both joined here about the same time, and with similar issues. It was a little weird as we got started going from one thread to the other and seeing the same things and the same problems with the medical professionals. I'm glad to see you both continuing on Apneaboard and with so much in common, I hope to see you for a long time to come, helping each other. I just feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Smile

I better chill the beer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

I owe you a debt of gratitude.

If it weren't for you I would most likely be suffering at the hands of that ignorant doctor and the BIPAP ST for who knows how long.

I still have good days and bad, but the ASV is an order of magnitude improvement over what was initially prescribed.

I wouldn't have known to dump that doctor, and find a real one had you not clued me in.

Central sleep apnea is a real pain, but the ASV gives me the best night's sleep in years, literally.

AGAIN...  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll Ditto thanks already. I know I've got areas that I've gotta nail down in my treatment but I'm here to stay. Oh and I'll be changing Ducks soon too. Even the RT at Apria said my doc is super stubborn and difficult to work with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2017, 03:30 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: My situation sounds similar except I'm thinking I'm breathing faster and shallower until sleep transition.
For me, part of it is psychological, hearing the sounds of air moving in the hose.

A fan running helps provide enough white noise to mask that and keep me from focusing on that.  Helps me get to sleep a bit more quickly and helps get things smoothed out to normal levels.

In my case, I tend to breathe too slowly and deeply, but it does seem to help to take a couple of deep "cleansing" breaths inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth...  almost like a yawn would do.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not certain if it's the COPD or just my breathing pattern, it feels slow and shallow. Slow & shallow always BTW, not just when preparing to sleep or sleeping. My white noise comes from the white A/C in the window that despite being in a house with central A/C that bedroom is always warmer than rest of house. Besides, I breathe better with window A/C set at 68-70 F and it filters air which helps too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,805 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 959 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,136 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.